Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Can you play any musical instruments?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 4,537 mod
I love music, and that includes both listening to it and playing it, too. Do you like to play any kind of instruments? If so, what do you play? I can play all brass instruments, and the piano and guitar. I also like to sing, though my voice isn't the best really so I just do that as a hobby. What is your favourite instrument to play?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    Well, I play guitar :) I started one year ago and next week I will begin my second year in the music academy.
    Also I would love learn piano, but in the moment I can't because of money... maybe in a few years.
    Violin it's something that seems interesting too.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,537 mod
    > @BeatrizAbrantes said:
    > Well, I play guitar :) I started one year ago and next week I will begin my second year in the music academy.
    > Also I would love learn piano, but in the moment I can't because of money... maybe in a few years.
    > Violin it's something that seems interesting too.

Wow, it sounds as though you're doing really well with your guitar. The piano is something that is great to learn, as it is one of the few instruments (along with the guitar, I suppose) that sounds just as good on its own as it does with other instruments. So if you ever get the chance to have some lessons, I would definitely recommend that you do that.
  • nisreen.mustafanisreen.mustafa Posts: 208 ✭✭✭✭
    i used to play on the piano keyboard when i was a little girl ... but the instrument that i wish to play in is the guitar .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands thanks for the encouragement, I will try!
    > @BeatrizAbrantes said:
    > GemmaRowlands thanks for the encouragement, I will try!

No problem! I always like to encourage people who want to learn to play an instrument, because I know just how much of a gift it can be. The piano can be quite a tricky one to learn though, so make sure you don't give up. Put time into practicing, and you will be playing some simple tunes before you know it!
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,897 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Vera Hi Vera. I like piano very much. Hopefully, you will share your piano stunts after sometime with us. :)
  • pipeypipey Posts: 4
    Hi, I'm Pia and I'm Italian! I play the piano, too. I started it forteen years ago and last February I graduated from the conservatory.
    I would know English in the same may I know music :smiley:
    so, I'm sorry for my English mistakes!
    > @Vera said:
    > Hello, my name is Vera. I'm Russian. I live in St. Petersburg. I play the piano seriously. I like it very much. I want to have some conversation with a musucian. I'd like to improve my English.

Hello Vera. How long have you been playing the piano for? Do you have a favourite piece to play? I have a number of things that I am working on at the moment, but unfortunately I am not able to play anything to a very high standard, which is a shame.
    Dholak (Drum) is the one that I tried to play many times in the past. Now I have completely forgot it. I would like to play piano as it is my favourite musical instrument.
    Is the Dholak something that you would like to play again, @bubbli or would you rather choose something else to try? The piano is a wonderful instrument. Definitely something that is worth learning if you're able to.
    When I was younger, a music group came to my school and that was one of the instruments that were able to try. I adore all percussion instruments, and would very much like to explore the sounds and styles of the instruments one day. For now though I am very much sticking to my own instruments, as I am trying to get a lot better at them.
  • Andres1981Andres1981 Posts: 2
    I use to play with a latin band. I play percussion instruments such as drums, timbales and congas!!
    I think percussion instruments like those make a great noise @Andres1981 so I can certainly see why you enjoy playing them. I also find that when I'm trying to get children to take music lessons, letting them play on the percussion instruments is likely to get them to sign up, because they're so much fun.
  • jamiezuejamiezue Posts: 2
    I play Keyboard synthesizer. Mostly I use It with computer to make my own music, when I have spare time. I used to play violin too when i was a teenager.
    I enjoy listening to electronic music like that @jamiezue. I think there are a lot of people who say that it isn't "real music", but I don't agree with them at all, because I think it's wonderful that you can make tracks that sound good.
  • christellechristelle Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can play the flute. :)
  • BeierBeier Posts: 18 ✭✭
    I play the keyboard ;)
    Today, it is Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan' 67th birth anniversary who was a Pakistani musician, primarily a singer of Qawwali, the devotional music of the Sufis. I like the Harmonium he used to play during his concerts.

Wow, thank you for sharing that information @bubbly it was interesting to read. Have you ever tried to play the harmonium? I have never tried it myself. In fact, until I read your post, I had never even seen one!
    @GemmaRowlands I even didn't play it but I have tried once when we arranged a qwali concert in our university. It is a bit difficult to handle it but music is awesome.
  • setiawsetiaw Posts: 3
    yes violin <3 I play violin and I love it very much
  • RafiaremaRafiarema Posts: 369 ✭✭✭
    I play drum. I wish I could play Piano because It is cool.
    I think that you're right @Oleksii about the violin being a difficult instrument to play, yet it is one that is so often used by beginners in music when they first want to choose what to play. So it is an interesting thought. But there can be some wonderful performances once you know how to play it professionally.
  • dsafadfddsafadfd Posts: 4
    hello! my name is tamara i live in geogia. i play on guitar and i wish i could be play on drum...
  • navidafrasiabiannavidafrasiabian Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭✭
    Music is a big part of my life.I play guitar and sometimes I compose music,but I am not a professional.
    What kind of music do you like to compose @navidafrasiabian ? I have written a few pieces for brass band in the past, and they have been performed at concerts. Unfortunately I don't have any recordings of these. I would have loved to have posted them to show you.
    I write Iranian pop music.I write both lyrics and music together,but I am less productive because I can't bring my guitar to university and I don't have enough practice.
    It is great that you published your products @GemmaRowlands.
    Are you familiar with Iranian music, @GemmaRowlands?!
    I can't say that I have had very much experience of Iranian music @navidafrasiabian but I would very much like to hear some if you are able to show it to me. It is a shame that you're not able to practice as much as you feel you need to.
    Iranian music has different genre like other music.Classical music(sonati) and Pop music are the most popular types.
    MohammadReza Shajarian and his son Homayoon Shajarian are amazing and I love them a lot.I listen to Shahram Nazeri too.Among women,Mahdieh Mohammadkhani is my favourite.I recommend Mast&Mastoor album by Homayoon to you.
    Those were Classical.
    For pop music,Dariush Eghbali,Googoosh,Ebi(Ebrahim Hamedi),Ehsan Khajeh Amiri,Hayedeh,Mahasti,Ramesh,etc are good.
    I offer you listen to musics that are composed by Babak Bayat.He was a prodigy and I think Persian music will never see someone like him!
    I hope I helped you @GemmaRowlands .