Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

CHALLENGE: Transcript a short video #2

RomanRoman Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
I will post a short video (least than 3 minutes long) and you should transcript it. I will give 10 "likes" to the best transcription.
Deadline: September 10th

Comments

• ZomZom Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sheldon: Why ??... sake of me of …?? existence I doubt.
    Policeman: Here, breathe into this bag.
    Leonard: What’s going on?
    S: They stole everything Leonard. Everything.
    P: Are you the roommate?
    L: Yeah, Leonard Hofstadter. What happened?
    P: Your friend’s just called 911 to report a robbery.
    L: Oh my god. What did they get?
    S: What didn’t they get? ???? enchanted weapon, my vicious gladiator armour, my wand of untainted power and all my gold.
    L: You called the police because someone hacked your World Of Warcraft account?
    S: What choice did I have? The mighty Sheldon, level 85 blood elf, hero of the eastern kingdom has been picked clean like a carcass in the desert sun. Plus the FBI hung up on me.
    P: Into the bag.
    S: They took my battle ostrich.
    L: Oh no, not Glenn.
    S: Yes, Glenn. The only bird I’ve ever loved.
    P: Good luck fellas.
    L: Thank you officer.
    S: You, wait a minute. You’re not going to do anything?
    P: Mr Cooper there’s not..
    S: Dr Cooper.
    P: Seriously?
    L: Not the kind that have access to drugs.
    P: Fine. Dr Cooper, I’m sorry for your loss, but the Pasadena Police department doesn’t have jurisdiction in Pandora.
    S: That’s from Avatar. World Of Warcraft takes place in Azeroth. Goodness gracious, how are you allowed to carry a gun? Can you at least refer me to a rogue ex cop?
    P: What?
    S: You know, one of these drummed off the force because he refused to play by the rules, and now he hires himself out to impose his own ???? of rough justice.
    P: No.
    S: Thank you officer.
  • exmemberexmember Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Roman!
    Post the link please I can't open it.
  • RomanRoman Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Sorry. The link is ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmxEB-hZ_Ck
    My translation. I don't know how to do the Spoiler alert stuff.

Sheldon: Why has God forsaken me a biggity its existence I doubt. (*)
    Officer: Here, breathe into this bag.
    Leonard: What's going on?
    Sheldon: They stole everything, Leonard, everything.
    Officer: Are you the roommate?
    Leonard: Yes, Leonard Hofstadter. What happened?
    Officer: Your friend called 911 to report a robbery.
    Leonard: OMG! What did they get?
    Sheldon: What didn't they get! ... Enchanted Weapons, Vicious Gladiator Armour, my Wand of Untainted Power, and all my gold.
    Leonard: You called the Police because someone hacked your World of Warcraft account?
    Sheldon: What choice did I have? The mighty Sheldor, level 85 Blood Elf, hero of the Eastern Kingdoms, has been picked clean like a carcass in the dessert Sun. Plus, the FBI hung up on me.
    Officer: Into the bag...
    Sheldon: They took my battle ostrich.
    Leonard: Ohh no! not Glen!
    Sheldon: Yes, Glen. The only bird I ever loved.
    Officer: Good luck fellows.
    Leonard: Thank you Officer.
    Sheldon: What a minute! You are not going to do anything?
    Officer: Mr. Cooper there is nothing...
    Sheldon: Doctor Cooper.
    Officer: Seriously?
    Leonard: Not the kind with access to drugs.
    Officer: Fine. Doctor Cooper. I'm sorry for your loss, but the Pasadena Police Department doesn't have jurisdiction in... Pandora.
    Sheldon: That's from Avatar! World of Warcraft takes place on Azeroth. Goodness gracious, how are you allowed to carry a gun? Can at least you refer me to a rogue ex-cop?
    Officer: What?
    Sheldon: You know. One what was drove off the force because he refuses play by the rules and now it hires himself out to impose his own brand of rough justice?
    Officer: No.
    Leonard: Thank you Officer

(*) Lynne, this line is certainly wrong.
    edited September 2015
    The Challenge is officially over. @Lynne will evaluate the posts after her vacations. The new Challenge will start next week and will last two weeks. Everybody will have a lot of time to make their transcription.
  • Just-LearnJust-Learn Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    Hi @Roman, I'm not sure I understand the challenge very well, and I'd love to participate next time, it looks exciting challenge!
    Next week I will post a short video. The challenge is to make a transcription of the dialogues in the video. I will give 10 "Likes" to the author of the best transcription. @Lynne will make the official transcription. There will be 15 days to submit your own.
  • ZomZom Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Roman, I think your translation is more accurate than mine, but you're right, the first line is probably not correct. It sounds like Anglosaxon, doesn't it. Shakespeare's way of talking.

BTW, the spoiler stuff, here is how to do it, but you will have to write the word spoiler correctly:-
    [spoiiler=visible text]Hidden text[/spoiiler]

Looking forward to the next challenge. In the meantime I keep going with my hols. Galicia is awesome, except today, chubascos non stop, a time to spend at the library of Santiago. ^-^
This discussion has been closed.