Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Tips on how to improve Grammar and vocabulary

Hi everyone. Since I'm new here I am exploring the tab options and I'm just happy that now I am eligible to post my own topic. So, I thought, since the reason why I joined this group is to learn English, why not start with that.

I am really poor at vocabulary and I think my grammar sucks.. I think one good way to learn English, I mean PROPER English is by talking with people who speaks the language with ease like a native person. Can you give me other tips on how to improve my grammar and vocabulary? Any suggestions? I would really appreciate it guys. Thank you! :)

Comments

• moathmoath Posts: 495 ✭✭✭✭
    this is my main idea, communication with the people who speaks the native language is the best way to learn that language..
    but writing is different than talking.. so you have to mix them
    that is why in this forum we have skype voice sessions.. i hope i made myself clear :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    Hi @moath. :)
    I would love to join you with the skype sessions but unfortunately I cannot join you because @lynne is on vacation and I haven't submitted my skype ID yet to her. But when she comes back that would be the first thing I'll do. And yes, you are right, writing is very different than talking. Right now i'm practising my writing skills that is why as much as possible I participate in the discussions here in this forum. :)
  • moathmoath Posts: 495 ✭✭✭✭
    @Catherine
    well, you can't help it, Lynne is on vacation..
    enjoy your time here and learn ;)
  • Just-LearnJust-Learn Posts: 473 ✭✭✭
    Hi @Catherine,
    First, nice to meet you :)
    , I think the best way to improve your Grammar & Vocabulary is reading. By reading you can learn new vocabularies and recognize the grammar use without studding it. you'll understand the use of the grammar through the context.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,307 mod
    I think that by far the best way to be able to improve your grammar is to simply use this forum as much as you can, and see how other people write their posts. If you read a lot of posts from English people, or people who are much better at English than you, you should be able to get helpful hints about how your own posts could be written in order to sound better.
    > @Just-Learn said:
    > Hi Catherine,
    > First, nice to meet you :)
    > , I think the best way to improve your Grammar & Vocabulary is reading. By reading you can learn new vocabularies and recognize the grammar use without studding it. you'll understand the use of the grammar through the context.

Hi @just-learn: Nice to meet you too :)
    Well, I'm not really fond of reading books but thanks for the suggestion anyway and thanks for commenting on my topic ;)
    > @GemmaRowlands said:
    > I think that by far the best way to be able to improve your grammar is to simply use this forum as much as you can, and see how other people write their posts. If you read a lot of posts from English people, or people who are much better at English than you, you should be able to get helpful hints about how your own posts could be written in order to sound better.

Hi :)
    thank you for the suggestion @GemmaRowlands.. I try to be active in this forum as much as I can and I'm really enjoying my time here. :)
  • FerFer Posts: 144 ✭✭
    I think one of the best way of learning grammar and new vocabulary is to read English text .
    Grammar-translation methods, and memorisation of rules have been standard practice for a very long time, but they’re probably not the most effective ways to learn.

Some students study English for many years, and know all the rules of grammar and sentence structures, but still struggle to communicate properly and hold a conversation in English.

It is important to have a significant amount of time focusing on conversational, functional language use, and learn in context through interaction with other people!
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    According to my experience, first learn new vocabulary, use it in your own sentences, practice it on daily basis till you memorize it. This forum provide this opportunity to you to practice and learn and vice versa. :)
    @Catherine, you don't have to read a book just pick up an interesting article and read it, like the ones posted in forum here and you can enjoy exchanging perspectives with others.
    > @Fereshteh said:

> Some students study English for many years, and know all the rules of grammar and sentence structures, but still struggle to communicate properly and hold a conversation in English.
    >

I am one of those students @fereshteh. ;)
  • loveenglishloveenglish Posts: 15 ✭✭
    In my opinion, one of the best ways to learn a language, especially getting familiar with it's grammar and hard terms, is to watch docs presented in that language, step by step, and by trying to understand every part of the doc presentation, you will get surprised by the results after few weeks of practising.
    Dose this help Any?
    @loveenglish What do you mean by doc?
  • loveenglishloveenglish Posts: 15 ✭✭
    @bubbli , I meant "documentaries", it was just an abbreviation. Sorry if it was vague. :(
    @loveenglish doc is usually used as a short word for a document.
    @loveenglish: yes, your suggestion is helpful. Thanks for the advice (or should I write advise?).

@bubbli: do you know when @lynne will be back? I would like to send her my skype ID so I could join you guys in the skype session. I think that would be great..
    @Catherine No idea. But, I can add you in my session. Please send me your Skye ID.
    @bubbli: I don't have a skype ID yet..hehehe.. I will let you know once I made my account. I already forgot my first account in skype so I need to make a new one.. :D
    @Catherine I am also a new user of Skype. But for learning, we will have to learn and use few applications.
    @bubbli: I agree, for the sake of learning. :)
  • i know the best way to improving grammar and vocabulary are wrting and reading much.
    but i can't. i always fall asleep when reading english book :pensive:
    @diemchuyenhoa so your books are your pillow. ;)
  • RafiaremaRafiarema Posts: 369 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    @diemchuyenhoa maybe you feel sleepy because you don't read books that Interest You.
    Try to read something that interests You. It could be English subtitle for movies, or comics if you like. when You see a new vocabulary don't go immediately to a dictionary just write It and later You can check the meaning. I guess to improve Vocabulary Is better by reading and writing it in your learning book so you can read It repeatedly.
    @Rafiarema If someone wants to develop the habit of books reading. He or she should first identify their areas of interest. Reading books develop our vocabulary a lot.
    @bubbly right. I find It difficult to broaden our vocabularies by listening or moreover speaking because I dont see the words. LoL
    @Rafiarema :) You should start watching movies with subtitles so that you can see words.
    edited October 2015
    @bubbly That is what I am doing right now. ^^
    I liked your advice @Rafiarema! to not search directly in the dictionary for the new vocabulary, it might help not getting boring quickly while reading a book.
    @Just-Learn I usually guess the meaning first and also ask those who are in my session. Sometimes, we know the meanings but we don't put some efforts to recall them or think about them.
  • Aftab_AhmedAftab_Ahmed Posts: 1
    i think the best way is to talk more and more and learn more words as you can, because if you
    have more words means good vocal collection than you will speak fluently.