Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What makes you happy?

Comments

• PaulettePaulette Posts: 9,454 mod
    edited January 28
    Today when I think back at the funeral of my brother-in-law, and also childhood friend, yesterday I am a bit happy beside the grief I have because his last words that he had wrote for all his friend and relatives were so beautiful and full of desire...

"Tell me there is a heaven
    Where all those people go
    Tell me they are happy now
    Friends tell me that it is so!!!
  • medi07medi07 Posts: 20 ✭✭
    What makes me happy is a main character of an anime or tv show that skip a very big danger :D , but the happiness doesn't last much! :/
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,840 mod
    @Iisa I'm sure you will settle down fine, but you're right, it will seem strange at first. I was living in Kathmandu for several years but for the last five years or so just spend up to four or five months a year there.
  • ArshiyaArshiya Posts: 40 ✭✭
    Happiness is not permanent....it is one of the phases of life...
    Obviously, spending with your family members is a great thing in this current society...

@Arshiya yes happiness isn't permanent, but I think it happens more in moments then in phases. In one day you can have feelings of happiness and also feelings of grief.

A phase in life is more a longer period, I think.
  • ArshiyaArshiya Posts: 40 ✭✭
    Probably, Happiness is a part of life in a Day...
    edited January 29
    @Arshiya try to look into your heart every night before bedtime and then you can again pass through the moments of feelings, and you will see there were wonderful moments too.
    Nothing is permanent @Arshiya. When we accept this, we can feel much more liberated.
  • MichouxeMichouxe Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What makes me happy today!
    Simply away, the weather. Today it was cold and windy, but beautiful , because the sun was shining in all its glory! And this was a very long time ago .....
    It is from such simple things that we can enjoy! :)
  • LeyantLeyant Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Talking to Sange gives me extreme happiness
    I agree with @Michouxe het was a very nice day, I made a cycling tour and the sunrays were gorgeous especcially on the white frozen ground where the fine crocuses were already in bloom. It was as if the sunrays were playing a lovely game with those little colorful flowers.
    So you see that every day has something beautiful in store if you are open to it.

• lisalisa Posts: 948 ✭✭✭
    We got a bad news this morning, and we have to pay much more money for the income tax, I am not happy at all with this news.
    I was sad to see how dirty the sky looked today. Even though it was sunny, the sky looked yellow with pollution and tasted bad. I like the clean air in the mountains and look forward to the lovely blue skies of Nice when I go back in a couple of weeks.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,367 mod
    Leyant said:

Sleeping, hanging out with friends, eating choclates with ice cream, listening metal songs, watching horor movies and chating with new friends

I think all of those things would make me happy too. Spending time with friends and doing all of those things at the same time would be even better.
  • ManLearnerManLearner Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Small things make me happy. It depends on mood. Sometimes, walking around alone, sleeping with an empty mind, playing a game, helping someone, window shopping, visiting a new place, talking to my family, dreaming about coming days, discovering/learning new techniques (mobile, computer, software), eating, traveling, thinking etc. Other times, any of these can be a headache.
  • VokVok Posts: 310 ✭✭
    I agree with you @ManLearner . There is time and a place for everything. One day you feel like going for a walk and it makes you happy, the other you're more chuffed staying in.
    I have just had an extremely enjoyable yoga class and feel both relaxed and energised at the same time.
  • bnfsnfbnfsnf Posts: 4
    @Luthien I totally agree with this idea that I call it as a inner paradise.
  • bnfsnfbnfsnf Posts: 4
    I think life is like an amazing puzzle that I have to solve it every second. So solving my problems make me happy.
    I met several friends today which made me very happy. I bumped into them in the Farmers' Market which was a delight, with lots of very good food and busy with lots of people I knew. Kathmandu often feels like a small village rather than a city of 3 million plus inhabitants.
  • LoganLogan Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited February 12
    There are many things which could cheer me up but the simplest ones are the best because I can join them everyday. I'm happy when I read my favourite book in front of the fireplace's light with a cup of coffee and Lilla (my cat) at my feet:) or while i'm having a warm relaxing bath, or yet i'm cheered up by listening my favourite song of the moment.
    However, also long term results can be happiness triggers such as achiving objectives or learning something new! But what I prefere is just smiling to someone I like who shares my feelings.
    @Logan I agree with you but it isn't a cat who lies at my feet but it's my dog. I give you also my smile because you are so passionate, you remember me on my graduated students in my former teacher life. ;)
    @Logan your scenario of being curled up in front of a fire with a good book and a cup of coffee with your cat sat at your feet is my idea of bliss.
  • VokVok Posts: 310 ✭✭
    @Logan I like that! Nothing can beat a fireplace, cat and good book.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,367 mod

Small things make me happy. It depends on mood. Sometimes, walking around alone, sleeping with an empty mind, playing a game, helping someone, window shopping, visiting a new place, talking to my family, dreaming about coming days, discovering/learning new techniques (mobile, computer, software), eating, traveling, thinking etc. Other times, any of these can be a headache.

It has been proven that smiling helps your body to release the hormone that makes you feel happy, so you are probably very right that smiling does indeed make you happy!
  • Hazem18Hazem18 Posts: 26 ✭✭
    The major causes of my happiness are Family, Friends, Health, Success and Love
    I was very happy this morning bumping into a trekking guide who've I met several years ago. I had coffee and we discussed the area where he comes from which happens to be my favourite part of Nepal.
  • lisalisa Posts: 948 ✭✭✭
    Having a chat with an old friend is a fantastic thing, especially the old friend is fervent.
  • learnlotsoflearnlotsof Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Receiving gifts makes me happy. Today, Valentine's Day, I've received gifts and that makes me feel happy!!!
    At this very moment when I am thinking about the word happiness. Then I am happy for all the things, good or bad, that happened to me in my life. They made me the person I am today. And I am aware, I am among the happiest ones on this world. But thinking of all those who cannot say they are happy, make me feel sad.