Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What makes you happy?

Comments

• chyijungchyijung Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭
    @Hermine What kind of detox products were you mentioned?
    I ever saw actived charcoal being sold as health food, which normally used to treat poisoning by doctor. Nowadays there are so many unnecessary or useless products in the market, aiming to fool the customer and make money.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 7,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @chyijung I know active charcoal and yes it is used in the medical world if the patient has taken poison because this charcoal has the property to absorbe the poison and after a time the patient has to vomit and so was thus prevented the toxin from entering the bloodstream. I saw this treatment many times at the hospital.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,063 mod
    edited September 2
    I think @Paulette meant that you'll be a new woman after using the cream @Hermine!

Isn't charcoal used for relieving stomach problems? I remember a friend gave me some charcoal remedy that he used to swear by.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,655 mod
    edited September 2
    @chyijung, there are so many products sitting in shelves. You can even get them from a shop. It should be good for your guts. Sorry, but an ordinary plain joghurt does the same or even better to skip a meal.

@Marianne, I doubt, that those creams so powerful.
    @mheredge Some places use charcoal to treat stomach problems. But in my case, It was sold as a health food. I don't think it is necessary to take it in daily basis.
    @chyijung and @mheredge active charcoal provides adsorption of pollutants and other persistent organic substances. When taking active carbon daily, it acts as a type of filter in the stomach and intestine, and so food is cleansed from impurities, because activated charcoal is not absorbed by the body, so it is not digested and leaves the whole body completely leaves. But due to its strong absorbent properties it removes all the impurities from the body. Thus it is used as health food.
    @Paulette , I wonder the benefits activated charcoal could bring to us if we taking it in daily basis. Although it may absorb toxic or heavy metals in our food. It may also take away minerals which are essential for health at the same time. I still think it is not a good idea to use it as health food.
    @chyijung I also strongly doubt the benefits of all these food supplements! Healthy living, sufficient move and good nutrition, keep your body and mind in good condition.
    To get up in the morning without any ache makes me happy and humble.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,727 mod
    mheredge said:

That might be a lot safer @GemmaRowlands, or a beautiful garden, with a nice big parasol if the sun gets too hot. I'm not sure if I would be able to concentrate on my work though. I might get distracted by the lovely environment!

Yes, I do sometimes get distracted. I have also been known to fall asleep, too, as it can be very relaxing in the warm sun. But on the whole I much prefer to be outside than in if I can be.
  • mounamouna Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭
    I'll happy when I find a good men to get married with him,I hope find this person soon :)
  • enesenes Posts: 36 ✭✭
    if ı see my phone charges at %100 probably ı m the happiest man in the world :p
    Good luck @mouna.

I'm very happy seeing how happy my friend and her husband are together. It does a lot to restore faith in the institution of marriage.
    edited September 5
    @mheredge I agree with you and I think my husband and me are also an example to show that. We are already 46 year married and still we have a lot of fun together.

@mouna I wish you also good luck, you will be find him...
    That's great @Paulette. It's always so wonderful seeing this. Sadly today I received news that a couple of good friends who though not married, have been together many years and lived together have just now decided to go their separate ways.
    @mheredge ,I always think that I couldn't realize my dreams alone I need a husband with me my life will more happier with a ggod men who undesrtand me and who has good behaviour.
    I wishe that my dream will be true soon ;)
    it's awsome to hear this @Paulette .It's rarely that we find a couple who live together for many years to be an example for us,we hear a lot about divorce and problems in couple in few months of marriage.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,727 mod
    enes said:

if ı see my phone charges at %100 probably ı m the happiest man in the world :p

Yes, having a fully charged phone is certainly something to enjoy, particularly in this day and age where we're expected to be connected at all times!
    Being on a boat in the sea is something I really like. Today was very enjoyable, cruising along with 14 other women, stopping in little coves to swim. And in the evening, catching a little water-taxi across the lagoon, my friend and I were the only two passengers, so the boatman let me drive! I didn't crash the boat, but I was glad when took over just as we came to the landing stage as I'm not sure if I would have been able to get us moored up quite so easily!
    @mheredge It's awesome to hear this.being on a boat is a very fantastic experience.I hope I could do that one day.
    I'm interested in taking a ferry from Marseille to Algeria one day @mouna.
  • DeucalionDeucalion Posts: 612 ✭✭✭
    edited September 12
    > @mouna said:
    > it's awsome to hear this @Paulette .It's rarely that we find a couple who live together for many years to be an example for us,we hear a lot about divorce and problems in couple in few months of marriage.
    I just remembered one of my colleagues, who got divorced the next day after the wedding party. :disappointed:
    edited September 12
    > @mheredge said:
    > Being on a boat in the sea is something I really like. Today was very enjoyable ... boatman let me drive! I didn't crash the boat ...
    @mheredge, you are simply great! I'm proud of you! :)
    I used to sail a lot @Deucalion, so it wasn't entirely new.

I'm in Pokhara, a town about 250km from Kathmandu where I'm staying a few days. So last night when I was on my way to find somewhere for something to eat, I was very happy to hear 'hello' from a Nepali friend who is a guide and who was with one his clients having a beer celebrating the end of their trek. It is always so nice to meet friends in unexpected places.
    edited September 13
    > @mheredge said:
    > I used to sail a lot ...
    > I didn't crash the boat ...
    I knew you are quick on the uptake, @mheredge. :) This time you didn't ... :tongue:
    I used to really enjoy parking the boat (I mean mooring the boat) @Deucalion. Who said women are bad at parking?
    I'm wondering whether I could manage to moor a boat without crashing it. :sunglasses:
    Today, youˋd better ask me what made you unhappy. But thatˋs another story.

Oh @Hermine, things always sort themselves out in the end. Everything will work out.
    edited September 14
    @Marianne, Iˋm changing, but not the way they want me to be.