Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What makes you happy?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,063 mod
    There can be a lot of advantages to village life, and not just the peace, clean air and lovely views. But if you don't have a job, or can't pursue your studies, then I can imagine that they can be very frustrating as places to live too.
  • Ha_laHa_la Posts: 58 ✭✭
    I think happiness or sadness depend on personality traits, feeling of person.
    I am happy when i pass a exam with high score, success in my life, get something i want.
    The happiness is a part of life and the sadness, too. I don`t be always happy, sometimes I am sad. sad-happy, happy-sad. Sadness help me understand value happiness.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ha_la both compliments each other. If I am sad, it reminds me that there will be happy time afterwards and vice a versa.
    Is it possible to have happiness without sadness? In the same way, can there be peace with war?
    @mheredge it is a Yin Yang concept where one aspect balances the equally opposite aspect. Natural rules are also based on balance. Without balance we can't live a quality of life.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,727 mod
    Oh @mheredge living in a village can be terrible when you have nothing to do. I have only recently learned how to drive a car, and it was very frustrating when I couldn't get anywhere because we live in the middle of nowhere. But now I can do whatever I like, and life is a lot better because of that, for sure.
    I don't think you can go without a car if you live out in the countryside @GemmaRowlands. One of the things I like about small cities it that they usually have good transport and it's easy to get out but at the same time, there's lots to do within walking distance. Nice is perfect in that respect.
    @mheredge living in a village, you can plant some tree, raise a few animals: chicken, cat, dog, cow. Sometime when you go to town or city, you can get some book to read when you are free.
    You can enjoy some coffe or tea with your friends in morning and evening.
    At night, you can see starry sky, listen to insects. i think it terrific.
    I love to live in village.
    Hopefully, I will remain happy at least for the rest of this week due to Eid. Though, I will be more busy in kitchen but still this festival is really close to my heart. I enjoy every moment of three days of Eid.
  • OlegOleg Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @bubbli what does it mean " Eid"? Some Kind of holiday?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    @Oleg, it's a muslim religious celebration
    @bubbli What kind of meal do you prepare for Eid ?
    @madu Thank you so much. :)
    @Sarah0 traditional dishes like Biryani, kebabs, qorma, nihari, etc. What about you?
    edited September 2015
    @Oleg Eid is an Islamic festival. You can read about it on this thread.

http://learn-english-forum.org/discussion/2557/happy-eid-eid-mubarak/p4
    So is this second Eid celebrated for three days too @bubbli? Even though I live in an area of town where there are many north Africans who are muslim, I'm not sure many follow all of the festivals very strictly.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,727 mod
    You're right @mheredge and the public transport is genuinely awful where I live, too. You just cannot do anything at all unless you have a car, or if you're willing to leave first thing in the morning and stay out for the whole of the day. It is a shame, but I am definitely happy that I am driving now.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    I'm a happy person in general! My family makes me happy and to travel is something else that makes me happy when it happens!
    @bubbli, I think the names are differents but the dishes are the same. In the Maghreb, we prepare "Malfouf", a sort of a liver skewers the first day. And other dishes like "Daoura", "Bouzelouf" and of course barbecue.
  • Riding, Eating, Sleeping and Travelling.
    Riding @JasleenKaur? What do you ride?
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    There are lots of things that make me happy. I love trying new dishes from other countries, swimming, learning new and interesting things, achieving personal goals and playing new video games and travelling <3!
    @mheredge now these traditional festivals are not celebrated with the same zeal as I have seen in my childhood. I feel sad because of this change.
    @Sarah0 barbecue is a common dish that was made on this Eid worldwide. I have also enjoyed a barbecue party last night in a family get together. It was simply awesome time. Great memories that have no substitute.
    @natb2 I also try some new dishes and I feel happy if I make them well. :) Cooking is also a fun based activity that can change my mood at least.
  • OlegOleg Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fresh air and exercise contribute to good health and make you more happier this way also
    @bubbli, Sharing a meal with family, is the best thing to do when you are in a bad mood.
    An Eid is a good occasion to share a meal. Isn't it ?
  • jhajha Posts: 52 ✭✭
    @Ha_la I was born and grew up in a village. Back then, there was no telephone, no signal for tv channels and my mom would not allow me playing with other kids outside. So i used to be alone, solitary playing, though i have my little brother but we always had fights during those days. We had a farm and a large empty yard at the back of our house. We cut bushes every afternoon because if we dont, our Tata will pinch our ears as punishments. During summer we go to beach nearby hometown. During rainy /stormy season, we dont have electricity so we play cards and sleep all day. It was nice to reminisce.
    Living in a village is being close to nature, traditions and family. But I wanted more, i wanted to explore, leave home and expand my horizon. So i left home and pursued my studies in the City.
    edited September 2015
    @jha I used to live in the countryside when i was a child. before the 21st century, place where I lived didn't have telephone, TV. My firends and I often go to field, canal to catch fish, shrimp, crab, sometime I go to the mountain to get some forest fruit. When i was a child, My friends and I also fought during those day, just like you.
    Now I am living in the city, I love countryside but i also like to live in the city. The city have many things I want to explore, many entertainments, many friends. I can learn more things at the city.
    Why didn't your mum let you play outside with other kids @jha? Even living in suburbia, as there wasn't much traffic in my particular street, we never had any problems playing out with the neighbours' children. In the field at the end of the road, there was a big tree that we used to climb. We often used to find ourselves stuck up there, till we got hungry and somehow found a way down.