Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What makes you happy?

Comments

• BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Oleg happiness is a relative term. So, environmental factors vary from person to person. Broadly, there are social, psycho-social, economic, political etc.that directly or indirectly influence our emotions, feelings, and mood.
  • jhajha Posts: 52 ✭✭
    My new pandora charm makes me happy today. :)
    @bubbli What is kehwa?
  • OlegOleg Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    > @bubbli said:
    > Oleg happiness is a relative term. So, environmental factors vary from person to person. Broadly, there are social, psycho-social, economic, political etc.that directly or indirectly influence our emotions, feelings, and mood.

Pity ( I'm not smart enough to write such things
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,671 mod
    edited September 2015
    Just before I checked the `learnenglish calender`and have to accept that our next session will be held in the week number 40. I really try hard to do anything in English every day, but I have to admit I miss Lynne`s advising and her voice.
    @jha kehwa is a kind of green tea.
    edited September 2015
    @bubbli thanks , will try it sometime.
    @jha :O You never tried green tea?!
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,081 mod
    lorraine said:

eating and sleeping and my happiness comes from my family and my best friends. it is a feeling that comes within

I think that you sound like a very contented person @lorraine.

Yesterday I took the 'day off.' I switched off my phone and didn't use the internet for the whole day. It was very refreshing.

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,727 mod
    > @Oleg said:
    > It sounds pretty interesting. Tell us more. What is the best decision of this inconvenience? Going to another country only in order to go swimming?

Wow, that seems amazing to me that there is no way you can swim in your own country. I don't think that I would travel to another country to do it (unless I happened to be right on the border, of course) however I do think it is a great shame that you're not able to make the most of it, as it great exercise.
    @bubbli I drink matcha green tea, and sometimes in teabags like twinnings. I haven't tried kehwa.
    I also like milkteas mix with fruit flavor and pearl balls (tapioca). I'd choose tea over coffee. Though the aroma of coffee is inviting but i believe teas are more healthy. Which one you'd choose?@bubbi
    @jha what is matcha tea? If you read my postings in different threads, I've mentioned only coffee. I like it very much. A year back I only like to drink tea but now only coffee with milk. I am also conscious of not taking more than 3 cups a day but it really helps me to remain active.
    @bubbli its a japanese green tea.
    @jha I don't know it is available in Pakistan or not? but I will definitely search for it. :)
    I've just had my second cup of coffee of the day. I'm usually drinking coffee without milk nowadays. It's less fattening but it also means I can appreciate the flavour of good coffee better. I brought back some very nice coffee from Nepal that I'm liking very much.
    I am happy to see one of my old colleague today. It was cherishing moments. I am thinking to visit her new office soon. :)
    Bonus correction @bubbli (I rarely have to do this as you very rarely make mistakes):

I was happy to see one of my old colleagues today. It was a cherishing moments to cherish. I am thinking to visit her new office soon.
    @mheredge Thank you for the correction.

I was stuck with the word "Cherish". I tried to use it for the first time and it went wrong. :)
    'She cherished the thought of the time she spent there.' 'He's cherishing his retirement after working hard all his life.'
    @jha I think the tea you describe is known in my country as "bubble tea" and it is growing in popularity quite a lot in recent years. I have yet to try it, but I know that there are a lot of people who I know that really like it. I do hope to try some soon, but there aren't many places that serve it.
    @GemmaRowlands yeah its really good. @bubbli Go to foreign/asian supermarkets. You might find it there.
    @jha thanks.I will find it. :)
    Thank @jha I will try that. There is an Asian aisle in my local supermarket, so perhaps I will be able to find it if I have a trip there. I certainly do want to try it though, as it seems that so many of my friends enjoy it, there must be something in there that makes it taste really good!
    I've never tried it either. I think I've seen it served somewhere. I tend to go for coffee when I'm out.
    @GemmaRowlands Dont forget the chewy black balls -tapioca pearls that resembles gummy bear. Enjoy your bubble tea.
    Bubble tea sounds very interesting. Can you elaborate it a bit more @GemmaRowlands?
    Going for a walk in the countryside really makes me happy. I walked around 10km in the hills inland from Nice with a group of people hiking to raise money for a school project in Kenya. It was very enjoyable and at the same time raised money for a good cause.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,671 mod
    Last weekend I went to a lake where I haven`t been for a quite long time and found it so wonderful there. Although they host rich guests was the village with its old houses and wonderful meadows and the view over the lake hightlights for the eyes.
    Here in my village people build and rebuild huge houses and no-one cares about the overal Image. Only the number of beds are important to them, though the stay untouched in summer.
    @Hermine living close to the nature always make us happy and I can relate these feelings because whenever I go to my village. I feel elated, relax and more active.
  • OlegOleg Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everybody in the village knows about your happiness?
    Villages are gonna be a small, I presume. So Everybody knows about his neighbors happiness