Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What makes you happy?

Comments

• BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,058 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Falahi we have choices but we see them after some sufferings. My point is different. We can't live happy forever in life because life is the other name of ups and downs but we can at least change our focus or attention towards life. The brighter side with positive thoughts. It is what we can opt to live and mourn over the sufferings or to find out small happiness.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,243 mod
    edited September 2015
    Spending a Sunday with a hotty and a good book in bed. It may be the weather today has encouraged me.
  • safasafa Posts: 22 ✭✭
    what makes me happy :) eat lovely hot meal after achieving goal.

and about happiness this quote make me laugh and i think it's right.
    "Money can't buy happiness but somehow, it’s more comfortable to cry in a BMW than on a bicycle…"
    edited September 2015
    @Hermine In winter, I also like to spend my time reading a book and enjoy a cup of coffee.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,992 mod
    You're making me sorry I'll be missing winter here in Nice @Hermine and @bubbli. I agree, being as snug as a bug in a bed when it's cold outside is one of life's pleasures.
    You have a very good point @Falahi. Maybe some suffering is important to get a better perspective on life and to avoid getting too complacent. However I feel sad when people suffer needlessly or when people only seem to know a life of suffering. Life is not always fair to many people.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,243 mod
    @Marianne, that is a big issue.
    @mheredge I like the expression; "Snug as a bug in a rug." :)
  • dededede Posts: 61 Inactive
    a lot of things can makes me happy like doing something i like it (reading new novel - learn something new)
    @dede Yes. Reading a good book always makes us calm and happy. I enjoy reading motivational and inspirational books that makes me relax. :)
    Last night I went to hear a woman explaining Bach flower remedies. She gave a very interesting explanation about how different plants can help with all sorts of problems. The key however, is working out what a person's problems really are!
    @mheredge is it about herbal treatment?
    Not so much herbs as flowers @bubbli. I think they are very closely related though.
    @mheredge Herbal treatment or plants treatment is really trendy these days. I believe in herbal treatment as it really works for many diseases.
    I think a lot of illness is in the mind bubbli, and this is particularly where plants come into their own. I'm not sure that they are much use to repair broken bones though!
    @mheredge exactly! that is why I used the word many not every disease. :) Herbal is effective for skin and intestinal diseases mostly.
    My understanding is that Bach flower remedies are also used for treating various psychological states @bubbli. But then these can manifest themselves in many ways (like stress leading to stomach disorders and so on).

Next week's talk is about positive thinking.
    Bach flower remedies are to some extent effective because psychological issues need long term treatment and I don't know these remedies can go longer or not. @mheredge
    There's a homeopathic hospital run by the NHS in London where they make up flower remedies. But like you say, they are effective only for certain kinds of problems. I confess to being very ignorant on the subject @bubbli.
    @mheredge Yes. May be @amatsuscribbler has some knowledge about it as she has a keen interest in herbal treatment.
    I met a girl last week who is considering training on herbal treatments @bubbli. Very interesting I would think.
    @mheredge I bet you must have asked about the details of herbal treatment. ;)
    I'm aware that herbs like basil and mint are good for you, but I can never remember especially for what reason they are good. Tumeric is very good as an antiseptic.
  • naDaothmannaDaothman Posts: 87 ✭✭
    When I achieve a difficult task that I can't expect that I can do it .. it's make me happy
    When I see people around me happy of something I do
    When I feel that people who I love they appreciate it and more loyal to me
    All of that makes me happier :-)
  • OlegOleg Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @bubbli Do You make all these teas and herbal treatments and stuff, yeah?
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am happy if I have access to knowledge and time to consume it. :)
    @Oleg Not at all. I just like to taste different types of kehwa only. I tried herbal tea once or twice.
  • lorrainelorraine Posts: 15 ✭✭
    eating and sleeping and my happiness comes from my family and my best friends. it is a feeling that comes within
    @lorraine yes. There are many ways to be happy. Both inner and outer factors matter a lot.
  • OlegOleg Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @bubbli What kind of outer environmental factors can disturb our balance?