Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
Please note: The MARS / WARS and FADS sessions are back on Skype for another week, but a couple of Lynne's sessions have been cancelled. Check the calendar for dates and times.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What makes you happy?

FrankFrank ModeratorPosts: 5,540 mod
edited August 2015 in Health and Beauty
Are you happy, and if you are what do you think causes your happiness? In one of the articles I found about happiness, the writer suggests it's only a choice to be happy or not. Contrary to popular belief, happiness doesn’t come from fame, fortune, other people, or material possessions. Rather, it comes from within. Happy people are happy because they make themselves happy. They maintain a positive outlook on life and remain at peace with themselves. What do you think?

What makes you happy? If you don't have a clue and want to get some tips to become more happy, you can look at the article and read 22 things happy people do differently. Do you recognise your lifestyle in these tips?

http://successify.net/2012/10/31/22-things-happy-people-do-differently/

Comments

• LuthienLuthien Posts: 115 ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    I guess happiness is a hard theme, but it definitely is something that comes from the deepest place of us, and because of this we can enjoy simple things, and bear the difficult ones..
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,539 mod
    I'm a very happy person in general. Obviously there are always petty little annoyances that pop up from time to time, but that's life!
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,868 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Very relative question. Depends upon the mood, circumstances, work, living style, environment etc. But, I agree with @mheredge I'm a happy person too because of positive thinking. :)
    I am happy because I am contented with what I have not what I should have. :)
    @meu Exactly. It depends on us how to bring happiness in our lives. Like Dalai Lama says:

Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
  • rahil11rahil11 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭
    I often corelate my happiness with surroundings, people whom with I'm attached. I feel happy when I see smile on the faces of others because of me. Regarding my own life, I'm quite satisfied with what I have and least care about what I have not in my life.
    @rahil11 very positive approach. :)
  • lolololo Posts: 1
    I'm happy person .. there are different things make me happy. from one those thing to watch football game and enjoy with my family .
  • yassmineyassmine Posts: 31 ✭✭
    if i am going to speak about my happiness.. i'll say that i have some people in my life that makes it marvelous and always help me to do and to say .
    my happyness also comes from my successful in my clg not totally perfect but i feel that I have achieved something when i joined faculty of medicine
  • phutaiphutai Posts: 18 ✭✭
    It is enough money to do anything i want. But know i have make a strong effort to get it in the nearly future :)
  • exmemberexmember Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @phutai that's great but I think happiness isn't about money. Yeah, with money you can buy all the things which will make you happy but it's like "you can buy the most comfortable bed with money but you can't buy sleep".
  • exmemberexmember Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @lolo hehe same here but I watch cricket with that spirit. If my team wins I feel very happy but if they loses the match I get upset.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    What makes me happy the most is tripping, though i never made a one hihihih
  • shashashasha Posts: 51 ✭✭
    Wow..Wonderful thoughts in the morning..Actually I was sad because of my colleague who always insult me in front of others in meeting. But now after read the line 'Happy people don’t care what others think of them. They follow their own hearts without letting naysayers discourage them. They understand that it’s impossible to please everyone' I feel positive and its give me strength.
    @Aboumalik trips can give you a different mood and keeps you relax mentally. Why couldn't you make it?
    @shasha yes. Its all about you not others so keep yourself calm in any such condition. :)
    Like you @rahil11, my surroundings have a lot of influence on my happiness. Also seeing other people smile is important.
  • zeynabzeynab Posts: 53 ✭✭
    the life has happiness& sadness , it is important that we want to see which of them ,but some times one of them is more highlight than other
    @bubbli , it's a kind of trip, hmm you know hiking, hitch-hiking,...And because it's my first time, it'd better be a company :smiley: , i am searching for it ! Wait, could you do it with me ?!(Oh finally, i did find someone)! I am kidding ^_^
  • shashashasha Posts: 51 ✭✭
    Yes very true @bubbli. B)
    @Aboumalik I also love hiking-my favorite hobby. But, due to hot weather I couldn't resume if for the last 8 months.
    Mmm @bubbli do you like hitch-hiking? This is very different from hiking. I have only hitch-hiked a few times but I don't like it particularly. But I love hiking.
    @mheredge I hitch-hiked once. But I love hiking as my experience is memorable.
    edited August 2015
    @bubbli In the place where i am, the weather is quietly fine :smiley: ! When I'll do it, I'll let you know :sunglasses:
    @Aboumalik lucky one. :)
    Thanks @bubbli :blush:
    Things being uncomplicated make me happy. I was missold an internet pack a couple of days ago. It wouldn't work on my tablet as it turned out it would only work with tablets that don't also function as a mobile phone, which my tablet does. I never knew that this could be an issue, as certainly I'd never come across this as a problem before.

Whilst the Orange France company manager sorted it out, he told me Orange can't refund me for their mistake. He gave me an alternative package, but one worth half of what I paid and lasting one instead of six months. On top of this I must have queued around three hours and was passed to and from their two shops three times. I was not a happy bunny yesterday afternoon!