Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Marmite

DeriocDerioc Posts: 95 ✭✭
A British product, similar to Australian Vegemite

I don’t agree with that saying, “love it or hate it” because neither I love Marmite and nor I hate Marmite. I got a Marmite and Vegemite jar in USA after some of my friends mention me quality of Marmite. But what I got one has no labelled — Roses are red, violets are blue, Marmite you’re brown…and I love you — as they mentioned and it does not make me feel like I am a cat or I did not became passionate to it. Although that, the taste of Marmite is very different. I don’t think I have tasted that taste before, it has mix taste like vitamin, old coffee, black chocolate and tamarind. Furthermore, I asked many of my friends to taste it, and most of them said it has funny taste while fewer of them likes it. Marmite cost five US dollars and can get it on european food section. I still have to test the taste of Vegemite.

Comments

• DeriocDerioc Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Here is my Marmite picture. Just copy and past think url in your browser. postimg.org/image/x3k6p65xz/
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,148 mod
    I believe that Vegemite tastes more salty but then I've always avoided the stuff.
  • ZomZom Shadok Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Wow, you are adventurous @Derioc, you bought a big jar of Marmite!

But it's true that you were not selfish, you have already shared the taste of Marmite with your friends in the US. Awesome.

Has you neither like nor hate it, do you think that you'll include Marmite in your diet from now on?
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
    edited August 2015
    @Derioc - I'd like to say thank you for having written that essay and posted it on the forum. I don't know how to do it, the only thing that came to mind is to do my best editing it, so i'll give it a go

Here you go:-

Marmite, a British product similar to Australian Vegemite.

I don’t agree with that saying, “Love it or Hate it” because neither do I love nor hate Marmite.

I got myself a jar of Marmite in the USA after some of my friends mentioned its uniqueness to me, but mine hasn’t got the label — Roses are red, violets are blue, Marmite you’re brown…and I love you — that they mentioned. It also didn’t make me feel like I am a cat nor did I became passionate about it even though the taste of Marmite is unique; I don’t think that I have ever tasted that flavour before. It has got a mixed flavour of vitamin, old coffee, black chocolate and tamarind. I also asked many of my friends to taste it, and most of them said that it has got a funny taste while few of them liked it.

Marmite cost five US dollars and you can get it in the European food section of a supermarket. I still have to taste Vegemite to compare it to Marmite.

---
    However you like my editing or not, I'll tell you when I do my presentation on Marmite during one the TGIF Skype sessions, just in case you would like to pop in.
    @Zom How can I get there?
    @Derioc - TGIF is a session that is run on Fridays at 4.30pm Berlin time. To participate you have to send Lynne your Skype ID in a private message so that she can add you to her contact list. When it's done, just before a TGIF session starts, you send Lynne a message in Skype asking to take part and she will add you to the TGIF group.

As for the presentation on Marmite, I think it'll be some date in October.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,757 mod
    I think that what they mean by that is that it is an acquired taste, and that if you know that you don't like marmite, you definitely know. I love it, and think that it is really nice to have on toast, particularly if you can add a little bit of cheese to it as well. In fact, that is one of my favourite late night snacks, because my father used to make it for me when I was younger if I had been out in the evening and had just got home.
    @GemmaRowlands You are right, Than mean I like Marmite. By the way I am think to compare Marmite and Yegemite soon.
    No accounting for taste @Derioc! Give me a jar of crunchy peanut butter any time.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,074 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    What is so special about Marmite? @mheredge
    Lots of people love it @bubbli. Myself, I find it disgusting. Ugh.
    @mheredge ...and I even don't know how does it taste like. :)
    @bubbli why you don't try once?
    @Derioc because it is not available in my country.
    @bubbli what is your country?
    @Derioc My country is Pakistan. It might be available in mega malls but I didn't check it.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,669 mod
  • nain_khan1nain_khan1 Posts: 161 ✭✭
    hi i'm also from Pakistan and i also not taste it.
    You're not missing anything @nain_khan1. I really hate the stuff.
  • nain_khan1nain_khan1 Posts: 161 ✭✭
    @ mheredge i don't what do you mean?