Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

what could be best topic for my first essay?

DeriocDerioc Posts: 95 ✭✭
Dear friends, I am thinking to write a essay. But I don't have any particular topic. So, can you friends suggest me a topic for my first essay?

Comments

• ZomZom Shadok Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love you to write something about Marmite?
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
  • DeriocDerioc Posts: 95 ✭✭
    Is marmite a jar?
    @Zom can you explain more about Marmite?
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,081 mod
    Hahaha! Marmite is a spread made from brewers yeast. You either love it or hate the stuff (I loath it, but my cat loved it).
    Sure @Derioc.

Marmite comes within a jar with a yellow top and a sticker on the back that says "Roses are red, violets are blue, Marmite you’re brown…and I love you." Inside the jar is a strange mixture that divides people. It's very binary. Like Marianne said some people love it while others hate it. There is no grey area.

Marmite is famous mainly in the English world, the UK, Australia, New Zealand, the USA, etc. In the non English world, few have heard about it. But, there is a but, one day someone may mention it and make you curious about what it tastes like. It happened to me. I wanted to know more, I bought a jar of Marmite. One day I spread some Marmite on a toast and bit into it. Gosh! I think that if I were a cat, I would have lost one life.

I think such a dividing unexquisite delicacy would be an excellent topic for an essay.

Will you give it a go @Derioc. Will you explore more about Marmite and write about it?
    British kids coming home from school would tuck into Marmite soldiers: finger of bread spread with Marmite. Ugh. I stuck to peanut butter!
    @mheredge I also stuck to peanut butter as you. Ha. @Zom you are right, it was for first time I heard about Marmite. Now I heard Vegemite too. I definitely going to try with Marmite even if it would looks delicious. unless I get Marmite, I can't write about it. thanks for mentioned me about Marmite. I might be don't like it's taste.... ha.
    Vegemite is similar to Marmite @Derioc, but I think it's the Australian version. True connoisseurs can tell the difference, but I don't like either. Peanut butter on the other hand....mmmmmm
    Yes Vegemite is the Australian version of Marmite. Vegemite came into the picture in the 1920s when Marmite was in short supplies.

@Derioc, if you write anything about Marmite and / or Vegemite, don't forget to post it here and share your findings and conclusions. :D
    You shoudl ask @Xeb about Marmite and Vegemite. If you have a look at What is your subconscious nationality (page 2) or better still search for 'marmite' using the search book at the top of the page and you'll find lots of references to this ghastly substance.
    @mheredge @Zom @Xeb Recent, I am in the USA. Yesterday I went to a shopping centre and asked about Marmite. But they don't have idea, then I asked about Vegemite, they knew that and they emphasized that it's from Australia. But they don't have it too. Next time, I will find it out from an other store.
    If you have a Safeway or Cost Plus World Market near you @Derioc, you might find Marmite there. Otherwise it seems that you might have to order it by mail.

Have a look at https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061003224741AAmEOGi for suggestions.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Derioc I think you don't need to write an essay on "Marmite" because it is already written in above discussion. Choose another topic. :)
    @Derioc Don't listen to Bubbli. Every writing about Marmite / Vegemite is different and fun as it will relate to your own experience with tasting it.

BTW in the USA, I have heard that they like to spread a thin layer of Californian butter on their toast before adding some Marmite / Vegemite.

Fingers crossed you'll get a jar, taste it and get back to us afterwards. :D
    But @bubbli, don't you see, @Derioc has found a neat way to do his research on the topic. I think he should be able to write a very good essay on the subject.

This is bizarre. Can you imagine Marmite-filled Easter eggs?

http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/article/1330816/unilever-creates-marmite-pot-noodle-easter-eggs
    This thread looks like a promotional venue for Marmite. :) @Derioc must have submitted his essay on it and my be got a job offer from Marmite company. ;)
    @mheredge I think if any student wants to write any essay. He or she should start a new discussion and without any efforts they can get a good essay. :)
    Hahaha @bubbli. Since I know @Derioc, I have to laugh at the idea of him taking up a job at Unilever!

@Derioc is not around. It means he has already got a job. @mheredge :)
    @mheredge @Zom @bubbli I wrote something about marmite.
    @Derioc WoW! Please share with us.
    Genial @Derios. Don't be late to share it with us. Can't wait!
    @bubbli you must be right!
    I all ready share it, find marmite. @bubbli @Zom @mheredge
  • UxmanGhani108UxmanGhani108 Posts: 25 ✭✭
    Topic: My Best Friend , Coz friend is the only person you know very well :blush: