Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Book which changed my life

I think, that a lot of you like to read books. I read the books near all my life. But I red not so many books, that changed my life reviews. So, I offer you to name the book, or books, which had influence on your life.

In my case it was M. Scott Peck "The Road Less Traveled" and Clarissa Pinkola Estes "WOMEN WHO RUN WITH THE WOLVES".

Comments

• [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    No one want share names of good books? I thaught it would be usefull for all of us.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,055 mod
    I'm not sure if it changed my life @Simply, but a book I enjoyed a lot is Kate Adie's The Kindness of Strangers, about her career as a journalist. Paul Theroux's The Great Train Baxaar is another one I like a lot. There are too many to chose from.
    I think, I formulated theme not so clearly. @mheredge it's true, there are to many to choose from. The theme must sound maybe - The 10 best books in my life :) I don't read books twice. But both books that I mentioned, I could read many times :smile:
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,248 mod
    Would I be allowed to mention two films I found so great?

1) I watched it when I was little, it was about two people, I cannot remembe had they been grown-up or were they children. Well, they got to a world where everything and everyone was so tall. Just to mention it, it wasn`t Gulliver`s Travels.

2) A person was sent to the inner world of a human.
    Usually i don't like historical books but as i read "fermat last sentence" i was pleased surprised. For people with affinity to math it's a wonderful bock
    To become more familiar with English I'm currently reading "the yes man" in English. Is a nice book and i am laughing often by reading it
  • Jahid1Jahid1 Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    I would recommend everyone to try a book called ''Enjoy Your Life''. I am telling you from my experience. You can download electronic version online for free. Let me know your thoughts after reading this book.
    @Hermine,what a pity, that you dont know titles of the films, but thank's for your answer.
    @Alex, I never heard about the books, you named, but I will take them to my "to do" list.
    @Jahid1, thank's for your recommendation.
    You are welcome @Simply
    @Jahid1, is that one islamic book ?
    @Simply Ohh yes it is! I actually forgot to mention that. Sorry about that. Hope you will like it :)
    Have these books changed your life though? I think one book that's come anywhere close for me is the Dalai Lama's book Freedom in Exile.
    edited August 2015
    Yes it did in so many different ways honestly. I have no idea about the other one. You can try that one too. Seems it is a good book as well. I will order it now :))
    @Simply, you are right.

• davud.avdavud.av Posts: 23 ✭✭
    hi everyone, I also want to share with you my most favourite book 'A Farewell To Arms' by Ernest Hemingway (who is also my favourite writer). I don't why but I can read this novel many times, I read it in three languages and everytime find something new. The author uses an iceberg theory, what means you can see the top but there is a lot under the water.
    I reckon no book ever has changed my life, but what I can see is when I am in a book shop or library holding a book in hand and I am fixed on the text and gist I often thought this book will chnage my life, b u t I was wrong each time. But why should a book change my life? Sometimes I pick interesting and useful thoughts or stradgedies from a book.
    @Hermine :) Good question "But why should a book change my life ?"
    I had some difficult moments in my life. And had no people, who could help me. So I searched for answers in mass of books. Maybe they haven't changed my life immediately, but... they helped me see some things in my life differently. Sometimes you can trap in your thoughts, in your viewpoint and can't escape ...
    @Simply, you are right. My `I has plenty of varous facetts and a book won`t be able to cover up them all.
    You're right @Hermine. Books can give you ideas, but I'm not sure about how far they can change your life. That's a big thing to do!
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,058 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no single book that has influenced me deep. Actually every book opens up a new dimension of life because it projects the author's experiences. There is a list of books but I will mention a book that I recently read. It is "Forty Rules of Love". It is basically about the life of Rumi and his teachings. I am truly inspired by the mystic aspects of life that were given in this book and learned more about the history of Konya.
  • sultan-ksasultan-ksa Posts: 11 ✭✭
    No book has changed my life except the Holy Quran.
  • LuthienLuthien Posts: 115 ✭✭
    @Hermine Indeed some books changed my way to see some ideas, and some movies as well, but for any funny reason I have a friend who says that every time I get a new book I get different, the way to speak.. We change because of some books without notice it ^^
  • LuthienLuthien Posts: 115 ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    @alex what is "the yes man" about?
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,058 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @sultan-ksa I am also going to start 'Tafseer' in English. :)
  • yassmineyassmine Posts: 31 ✭✭
    i read a book called ( basekalaya ) it was really amazing close to a novel but really i liked it and make me for a little time to make a tough decision
  • berkay_sberkay_s Posts: 18 ✭✭
    I can offer 'Kite Runner'.Writer Khalid Hussain.I think it affects most of the people.It's about friendsship.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    About 3 years ago I read "The Hunger Games", Suzanne Collins.
    It changed my life because it was the first "addictive book" I have read. After that I became kind of a compulsive reader haha
    So many good books mentioned here... Read allows us to travel wherever we want, so make a good journey :smiley:
  • CesardrmCesardrm Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Hello people! I like to read and specially in English, can some one tell me a good book to read?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    > @Cesardrm said:
    > Hello people! I like to read and specially in English, can some one tell me a good book to read?

Hi :) if you like adventure I recomend "Maze Runner", James Dashner, or "The Painted Man", Peter V. Brett
  • CesardrmCesardrm Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Thanks @BeatrizAbrantes I will look for those books!