Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

PLURAL OR NOT PLURAL

aprilapril ModeratorPosts: 10,373 mod
Many times I'm confused whether I have to write a word in plural or in single form.
For example, recently I have read @Lynne's correction to @chyijung's post in The weather.
Here is Lynne's correction:

Sure, the wind tries to get through the windows, and makes a howling sound outside my apartment on the 10th floor. I have to close all the window to avoid the rain splashing into the house.

I have the problem with "all the window".
Do we have to use plural form when we put the word "all" in front of another noun and do we have to add "of" after "all"?
So which one is correct or not correct:
- all the window, all the windows or all of the windows ?

I know I've read some explanation somewhere, but I'm confused again now.
:)

Best Answers

Answers

• fani30fani30 Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    "The leg of the chair vs The chair leg"
    I think they are all correct too, but it's depend what do you mean to say
    and if we say "The chair's leg" it just have the same meaning as "The leg of the chair" because it's just possessive form.
    still need explanation @Lynne
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me add more confusion......isn't it "The chair's leg?" ;)
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,081 mod
    edited September 2015
    Off the top of my head, I think they are all correct. For example, the chair's legs were broken. The leg of the chair was carved exquisitely. One of the chair legs at the back was shorter than the other three..
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    Owh :o . In my language we say 'my head is just like soup right now' it fits like a glove for this situation :)
  • aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 864 ✭✭✭
    According to what I've studied, we use "of" to speak about something that is specific. Such as "All of the students in our classroom", we can also omit "of" except when its used with a pronoun as @april said.
    If we want to speak about something generally we don't need to use either "of" or an article "the". Such as "all students in the world".
    The same rule is possible with "half".
  • "all the windows", or "all of the windows"
    i think they are same thing and correct. ''emphasis'' is the important point in here.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,585 mod
    Personally I would never say the chair's leg. In English we usually reserve the possessive form for people.

Lynne's chair collapsed under her.
    The leg of Lynne's chair broke.

(I think Lynne needs to lose some weight.)
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,671 mod
    I am still working on crises (krai: sis/singular) and crisis (krai: sies/plural)
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,373 mod
    I think "crisis" is singular and "crises" is plural, @Hermine .
  • chyijungchyijung Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭
    I was wondered why I didn't notice this thread before.
    then I found out the secret, the ('s) had been mistakenly comprehended as part of my name. :D
  • snack98snack98 Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    @april why we sad the gouvernement is not are even the gouvernement is group of persons
    edited October 2015
    @snack98 , I think it's depend on the context, whether you mean the government as one unit (The government is situated in Washington) or you mean the government as a group of people (Due to a bomb alarm, the government have to be evacuated).
    So both singular and plural form can be used.
    edited October 2015
    @chyijung , do you mean that you didn't get any notification because I wrote @chyijung's?
    Oh, I didn't realize that. :)
    Post edited by april on
  • snack98snack98 Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    Thank you @april, so as I understand that I have to get the meaning of the phrase or sentences. It's not a fix rule .
    That's right, @snack98; it's always about the context.
  • ShonanShonan Posts: 36 ✭✭
    @Yin , @filiz , @fani30 ,
    As I think,
    "leg of the chair" in this case we speak about a thing which we know the owner. Chair is in front of us or we know about it.
    "chair leg" in this case we don't know the chair which possess this leg and even it(chair) exists or not.
    @bubbli , @april am I correct
    The leg of the chair, the chair leg or the chair's leg have all the same meaning and grammatically correct, @Shonan .
    However, seemingly "the chair's leg" sounds a bit weird for native speaker.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,671 mod
    Hi @April, I think it was here where I wrote about crises and I think you were right, crises is plural and crisis is singular. I hope I got it this time.
  • Luis_britoLuis_brito Posts: 5
    Which is the plural of "aircraft"?
This discussion has been closed.