Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Education and Learning

BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,711 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2015 in Let's Practise and Learn
'Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world. Nelson Mandela

A picture from a village near to Pakistan Afghan border.

Self explanatory: The only fence against the world is a thorough knowledge of it.

No one learn better than these children who are not only getting knowledge but harsh experiences of life due to terrorism.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 23,519 mod
    I saw a very interesting documentary last night about the education system in Britain after the Second World War, when grammar schools and secondary modern schools were set up. Children took an exam at 11, at the end of their primary school education. Those who passed went to the more academic grammar schools, while the two thirds of children who failed went to the secondary mods. It was supposed to encourage meritocracy. However the secondary modern schools generally weren't very good and eventually the governments during the 1960s changed the system to what is now applied almost everywhere, of comprehensive schools that take children of all abilities.

There are always pros and cons. Some say that generally comps don't achieve as well as the grammar schools, but are a lot better than the secondary modern schools. To get the sort of academic education that was available at grammar schools, many parents who can afford to, now tend send their children to private schools.
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,711 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge education differences are wide in Pakistan and dived into English medium and Urdu medium. Another categorisation is public shools and private schools. Rich people usually prefer to send their children in English medium private schools. While middle class usually has inclination towards both English medium and Urdu medium while poors rely heavily on welfare organisations for the education of their children.
    Interesting fact is children from remote areas or from public school excel more than the children who get education in big private schools.
    What do you mean by secondary and grammar school?
    edited July 2015
    @Jandark you can share your opinion here instead of wall.
  • JandarkJandark Posts: 65 ✭✭
    I can't manage very well on this site .I can understand exactly what is what for .Sorry
    @Jandark just participate in discussions. You will know soon about this website.
  • rahil11rahil11 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭
    I have lot of sympathy for these children because despite facing so many hurdles in their life, they aspire for education. Knowledge is something you can never defeat, neither due to weapons nor due to devil acts.
    @rahil11 Yes and I think they learn more with this rigorous experiences of life. So they are getting knowledge and preparing for the life as well.
  • rahil11rahil11 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭
    This also reminds me of those children who are kept away from education by their own families. Although having every avenues and facilities around them, they still remain uneducated particularly girl children who are either never allowed to study or forced to leave studies after passing primary or secondary classes.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,509 mod
    Nowadays the UK has a new kid on the block - academies. These are publicly funded independent schools, but they get their money direct from the government, not the local council. Another big difference is they don’t have to follow the national curriculum and they can set their own term times.
    Are these schools also referred to as'free schools' @Lynne? I understand that they are causing a lot of concern among educationalists.
    The trend of academies is rising up with the passage of time. But, these are independent bodies who provide tuition to students in evening and also claim that the students will get good grades after joining these coaching centers. These academies also arrange pre test preparatory sessions for GAT, GRE, IELTS, etc. Now, many parents send their children to these academies because majority of both spouses do job and they don't have time for their kids.
    These provide extra tuition only @bubbli, or do they also have their own day students following the normal curriculum? I've seen a few like this in India. I think for extra classes in any subject here in the UK, parents rely more on private tutors.
    @mheredge The situation is quite miserable here. There are many schools who provide teachers as tutors after regular classes in the evening and parents have to pay extra fee for the tuition. In order to show good performance, these teachers pass or give better grades to those students who take extra classes.
    That's awful @bubbli. It also encourages the idea that corruption is the best way to success.
    @mheredge education has become a business now. People invest in marketing the programs that have no worth but still they convince students as well as parents to get admission in the subject that have no scope.
    @madhug What is the situation in India regarding education academies?
  • madhugmadhug Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    @bubbli, Here also same condition education become biggest business, Big investors are investing their money in education field, they are earning lot of money, still they are not following proper guidelines like without playground, consisted building and Fire engine could not enter in school surrounding places.

some schools are doing big mess in administration process, parents ( student mom and dad) must pass graduation otherwise they are not allow to join kid.
  • christellechristelle Posts: 946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've posted the same thing in the topic humour > teachers/school ^^
    @bubbli
    Thanks @bubbli! I had to laugh. It doesn't matter how many times you post things @christelle, because most people don't look at all the topics.

I was happy today to present some money to a women's organisation in Kathmandu that runs a school for poor kids. A village in Wales raised the funds to buy some computers. I'm now just off to get some quotes from a company that helps a lot by selling me computers at a big discount when they're for schools like these.
    edited July 2015
    @christelle I thought besides humor it also goes well with the discussion on this thread. :)
    @mheredge you have an extended experience working with schools. How do you feel about the above image? Do you think, some community schools or public schools ironically are facing these issues these days where teachers just do the teaching job for the sake of drawing salaries by the end of each month. Did your NGO evaluated schools in this context?
  • christellechristelle Posts: 946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @bubbli sorry, I'm so clumsy... It was not a reproach or a critic. I just noticed it. And I found the situation funny. Excuse me.
    @mheredge I know it does not matter how many times you post something. ;)
    @christelle There is no need to be sorry. You have every right to express your opinions and being new your question was so valid. :)
    @christelle so how is your experience of teaching? Do you think now it is a big challenge for a teacher to provide learning environment for students who just rely on shortcuts?
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish my maths teacher at school had done her job. :(
    @Xanthippe I wish the same for my statistics teacher who ruined my GPA. :)
    @Xanthippe but I never slept in the class but I never slept at night on the day I had taken my statistics class. ;)
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @bubbli, poor you. :)
    @Xanthippe how's your studies going on?