Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Fake it until you make it.

FrankFrank ModeratorPosts: 6,153 mod
Do you want to be happy, quiet, loving, successful or active? This will soon become true if you just act as if you are already in this emotional state and/or you already have these qualities. The 'as if priciple', is first discovered by the American philosopher William James. He told us that we can create outer circumstances by acting "as if" they are already real; for example, we can be happy by acting as if we are happy. Why don't you try it yourself?

Comments

• FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 6,153 mod
    edited June 2015
    'Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does.'

~ William James
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 8
    I think its true. Act as if, you can change your mind and the energy around you. I try to do sometimes. It works!!! It isn´t pretend other people, but change yourself. Of course we don´t act as if a millionaire. I think it doesn´t work, IOL.
  • YinYin Posts: 191 ✭✭
    Yes, In the last part of the vedio, he said positive action is better than positive thinking. i agree to him because i always think that doing is better than just thinking. ;)
  • ZomZom Shadok Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @chyijung, You don't really think that football fans want to control their emotional state, do you? I thought that it was the opposite, they want to let their emotions out and share them with their mates. But you need a favourite team for that.
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
    @Yin, it's as if too much thinking is a disadvantage, a hurdle, isn't it?
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,131 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea about this video but I think sometimes we need "as if" formula to psychologically console ourselves more than others. :)
  • YinYin Posts: 191 ✭✭
    @Zom yes, it depends on how seriousness of the decision is.
    What do you mean how serious the decision is? Have you got an example?
  • TinkaTinka Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭
    For the first time I met the principle "as if" in the Blaise Pascal quote:

If 'you would like to attain faith, and do not know the way ... Learn of those who have been bound like you ... These are people who know the way which you would follow, and who are cured of an ill of which you would be cured. Follow the way by which they began; by acting as if they believed...'

Blaise Pascal lived approximately 200 years before William James lived, so James wasn't the first who introduced this idea, @Frank :wink:
    If I go "As if", I fear that it'll backfire at me afterwards. If I don't have the skill to back up the "as if" image, I think that I'll just me make it more difficult for me in the long run. I may also end up lacking sleep. In a game setting, I'm all for it though.
    edited July 2015
    That's interesting @Tinka. This sounds much like what we call modelling now.
    @zom then you should change it from "as if" to "as it is". :)
  • madhugmadhug Posts: 778 ✭✭✭
    @Frank, I may happens, you've been thinking for some work which you were interested, defiantly you could accomplish that. If you feel you want to become a great person everyday, eventually you would become that kind of person.
    Are you talking about perseverance @madhug?
    No @Frank, I am talking about feeling, as per the video we could start any kind of work before we should imagine/feel that work. we could finish that.

For instance a Rifle Shooter should feel about how bullet goes and how much distance is the target after that aim the target and easily finish it. same the way if we desperately think and feel about any kind of work we could accomplish that.
  • RomanRoman Posts: 493 ✭✭✭
    I think that It can work in some subjects. Just make this simple experiment: practice a smile right now for a few minutes. Your face and your body will recognice what you are doing. You will feel a bit better, even if You don't understand why.
    No, sorry. I did not read it, but I'm googling it right now @Frank.
    I never read this kind of paper before. It was a really great reading. They nicely crafted an experiment in a way that prevented potential errors that arrised in previous studies, to test a hypotesis: the simple stimuli of the muscles that makes us smile produces that we percive (cartoons) as more funnier.
  • TinkaTinka Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    This experiment is a nice proof of the interconnection between our mind and body. If we would like to change ourselves, we can start to change our body and this will cause the change in our mind, too; or we can start to change our mind and this will cause the change in our body.

Bessel A. van der Kolk wrote an interesting book about this interconnection (http://www.amazon.com/The-Body-Keeps-Score-Healing/dp/0670785938). @Frank, do you know him? He is from your country :wink:
    @Frank, it is really notable how u explained the experiment. Tnx!
    I heard or his name, but I didn't read the book @Tinka. I think it provides a very interesting perspective on trauma.
    Frank this pencil smile experiment is really interesting. What if a person doesn't establish eye contact during a smile. Does it indicate a fake/forced smile?
  • windy_88windy_88 Posts: 20 ✭✭
    @Frank "pencil smile experiment" is so interesting. However, i wonder about its level of accuracy? How many people joining in the experiment? Is the number of people is numberous enough to get a right ansewer?
  • yanyanyanyan Posts: 24 ✭✭
    @Frank, thanks for sharing the experiment, i totally agree with that, smile really can make one happier. Every morning when I brush my teeth, I will face to the mirror and try to smile for a while in order to make me happier in the rest of day.
    @Frank, nice experiment. it's very interesting. My thought little different from others, instead of pencil we use lemon pieces on between teeth.

What kind of facial expression shall we found? Does he make fake expression on camera? or normal expression.

don't mind it's just a question. :)