Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Fast Food Controversies

BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,268 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
OMG!

What KFC's DNA Test Revealed About Customer's Claim That Chicken Tender Was Fried Rat.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/dna-test-debunks-claim-chicken-tender-fried-rat/story?id=31949186

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,497 mod
    It looks creepy anyway. :(

Talking about rat, I remember a news about a dead rat that was found in a loaf of bread.
    The picture is so gruesome that I can't put it here.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,268 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @april I think it is not the first issue raised by consumers but the company must have quality assurance and quality control system. This is not a small thing that can be ignored by the company.
    In our industrial culture nowadays, I can understand that those things can happen and this blunder will be just discovered when the consumer want to consume it.
    A lot of times, food companies need to remove food from the shelves in the shops in the whole country and in the meantime a lot of people have eaten those products. :(
    @april did you face any poor quality issue in your country regarding fast food? We have chains of KFC and McDonald and once I heard from my friend that she found a small cockroach in her burger and when she complained, the waiter immediately replace it without any inquiry.
    To be honest, I haven't heard about that problem here, @bubbli.
  • ZomZom Shadok Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    We've got plenty of rats in Paris, maybe it's time to start a new business.
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
    @Zom you need a plenty of cats instead of staring a new business.:)
    If rats taste like chicken, eating rats might mean that the poultry industry would decline. That would be nice. No more chicken raised in battery cages.
    @Zom battery cages? but may be they want to introduce a variety besides chicken and it is a sort of gimmick.:)
    Battery cages
    www.flickr.com/photos/farmsanctuary1/2162598209
    edited June 2015
    Yes I have seen it before @Zom do you think KFC uses these battery caged chickens?
    edited June 2015
    I wonder if they would make money selling free range chickens burgers. Their prices would have to go up and sell less quantities, wouldn't they?
    edited June 2015
    @Zom with broilers, they have limited choices but yes the more we know the harmful effects of this battery cages chicken, the more we taste it. :)

@mheredge Marianne must have some experiences to share with us though I know she is not fond of fast food.:)
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,367 mod
    I think that there are lots of things in news about fast food that are supposed to scare people, and a lot of the time it really does work. The thing is, most of us know that fast food isn't good for us, however most of the time it isn't actually dangerous, and this is something that people need to remember. Once in a while isn't a bad thing, as long as you're not eating it every day.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,840 mod
    We eat rabbits and guinea pigs are a delicacy in Peru, so why not rats?
    edited September 2015
    @mheredge don't tell me that you are going to taste rats! :#
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eeesh! it's awful I am not even going to open the link :|
  • nisreen.mustafanisreen.mustafa Posts: 208 ✭✭✭✭
    OMG that is increasing my nausea eeeewww
    @nisreen.mustafa @meu I felt the same when I saw this for the first time. :)
    While having dinner in a five star hotel in Pokhara (Nepal) @bubbli, I saw a rat scurry across the dining room. I was there to review the hotel and had forgotten to ask for a look at their kitchen earlier in the day. When I asked in the morning I hit a stone wall.

If you were to find a cockroach in your food in the UK, the inspectors would close down the restaurant @bubbli. In Nepal and India, I wonder if there are any restaurants without roaches!
    @mheredge These days food authority in Pakistan is active and many restaurants and slaughter houses were sealed due to unhygienic and non-halal food and meat. A woman who is deputy director in food authority herself raid the sites and issue orders to seal the hotels/restaurants/food factories on spot. This is a commendable job.
    @meu You must have heard about Aysah Mumtaz who is lashing out the people selling unhygienic food and meat.
    http://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2015/09/05/city/lahore/seized-meat-from-lahore-was-unhygienic-not-haram/
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    That's reminded me one story. When I was a student, I worked as a waiter for a restaurant. We had a chef. Really good one. One day he bet that he able to cook meat dish using kitchen towel instead meat and the customer wouldn't notice that.
    What do you think? He won! :)
    @_Roman_ Kitchen towel instead of meat? Was he insane?
    Hahaha @_Roman_ . The restaurant wasn't in the UK by any chance?
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    Not a bit of it @bubbli ! It was a bet. He said that even amateurs can cook if they have good meat, but real professional able to cook well from nothing. :)

Relax @mheredge ! It was not in the UK :)

I really don't want to disappoint you, my friends, but actually it's better to know nothing about modern ways to produce food. It seems to me, the sausages which people usually buy in a supermarket contain no more meat than that dish.
    @_Roman_ I've recently came to know that ketchup that we usually use with burgers and french fries is without tomatoes. They use some chemicals and essence that is similar to the taste of tomatoes.
    Ugh! I know ketchup usually has loads of sugar in it, but no tomatoes? I'm rather proud of my tomato chutney I made yesterday, if I saw so myself. It was a bit of an improvisation but tastes very good.

@mheredge I think you should start this business of tomato chutney. I am with you. At least, we will enjoy the real taste of tomatoes.
    Small scale production is fine @bubbli (three small jars). Any more than this, it starts becoming like hard work. Remember, I like to be lazy!