Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Your favourite language

1171819202123»

Comments

• > @lisa said:
    > I was eager to work or study abroad when I was in my 20s, but I just want to be back to China now, most of time has been spending abroad after my graduation from the university. I have been fed up with this kind of life, so what I want to do is the whole family is living together. @Lukas_Oliver157 Which continent you are from? Asia is perhaps mysterious for most of western people.

I'm from Brazil (South America).
  • > @mheredge said:
    > It is indeed @Lukas_Oliver157! Brazil in Portuguese sounds like music, it's so beautiful. Portuguese from Portugal doesn't sound nearly so beautiful.

Hahhah, yeah. Many people say that. I agree, it sounds like music, it's beautiful, BUT, I like how Japanese sounds, not only when spoken by women, but when spoken by men as well.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,840 mod
    I love listening out for languages people are speaking. A couple of nights ago I heard two guys who were walking just behind me speaking Russian. I stopped to have a chat with them. It turned out that they work here and bring Russian tourists to Nepal.
  • lisalisa Posts: 948 ✭✭✭
    Sometimes I am keen on having a chat with strangers, especially foreigners who speak English, of course, most of them are friendly, but their Chinese friends are unlikely to let them have a chat with me. @mheredge
    I have just been to visit a village where a couple of boys there are trying to teach their mothers and aunts some English so that they can greet foreign visitors who come to stay in their homes @lisa. I was pleased when one lady said 'Excuse me' when I was in her way on the path that she and some others were walking down with their loads of cow dung they were taking to put on their fields. A month or so ago, they did n't know a word of English.
    That sounds excited and fantastic when you are in a different country, but there are so many chinese, you can hear "Nihao" almost everywhere. My colleagues just came back from Dubai, they told me it was almost 50% visitors in Dubai are Chinese. @mheredge
    There are a lot of Chinese in Nepal @lisa. As well as Indians, they now don't need a visa. In a few weeks Kathmandu will be crowded with tourists. I'm leaving at the right moment. I'm returning to France at the end of the week.
    I think I know the reason why Chinese choose Nepal to visit, Nepal is warmer than most of Chinese areas now, and it is near to China, which means the trip expense is lower than trips to other countries, such as USA, France and so on. @mheredge
    There's no visa requirement either @lisa. So some Chinese people come and stay if they can find work which they are not allowed to do, but everyone does as there's no enforcement of the rules. There is a road in Thamel where all the signs are now in Chinese. Lots of Nepalis are studying Chinese which they don't find too hard because like Nepali, it's a tonal language. Kathmandu has a nice climate but I'm not sure if the other areas are quite as good. The pollution and traffic here are really horrible though.
    edited February 23
    According to "the belt and road" policy of Chinese government, lots of Chinese companies are encouraged to invest abroad but we do prefer to empoly Chinese to maneuver focal departments such as finance, investment, technical and so on. It is not beyond my imagination that there are lots of Chinese in Nepal, @mheredge because there are lots of Chinese in Algeria, too.
  • walterwalter Posts: 18 ✭✭
    My native laguage is from the Balkan, and i like this. Another strange language which i love to hear is english with a american accent and i watch many films and serias at in that language, also i love to hear germany laguage, but that laguage i dont understand. I like their way of life and culture, and that is may cause why i like this language.
    @lisa hi lisa, i also like you wish to speak english language with native english speaker, but i cant find him, or if i find him that is so expensive. I learn a lot grammar english in school, but that dont help me to improve my english. Actualy, i didnt learn english totaly commitment. I recently started to listening english every day for one hour, and started to write in this site. I hope that will help me to improve my english.
    Have you attended any sessions held in discord or skype? I prepare to join in those sessions again recently. @walter
    No i didn`t. How these sessions look like and how i could to access them?
    @lisa No i didn`t. How these sessions look like and how i could to access them?