Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Tsunami

madhugmadhug Posts: 696 ✭✭✭
edited July 2015 in The weather
A tsunami is often triggered by under sea earthquakes that cause massive changes to the ocean floor. A tsunami can also be caused by seismic events, landslides, or even asteroid impacts.

Imagine if you were in beach with your family. You just heard an announcement about tsunami will arrive with in 15 minutes.

What kind of precautions would you take to survive? How do you help others?

------------------------

A tsunami is often triggered by under sea earthquakes that cause massive changes to the ocean floor. A tsunami can also be caused by seismic events, landslides, or even asteroid impacts.

Imagine you are on a beach with your family. You've just heard an announcement that a tsunami will hit within 15 minutes.

What kind of precautions would you take to survive? How would you help others?
Post edited by Lynne on
Tagged:

Comments

• madhugmadhug Posts: 696 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    I would search for is there any concrete buildings or any hills. otherwise i will climb trees.

I Watch animals leaving the area or behaving abnormally, such as trying to seek human shelter or grouping together in ways they would not normally do.

What about you @bubbli ? How do you survive?

-----------------------

I would search for any concrete buildings, or head for the hills. otherwise I would climb a tree.

I would watch for animals leaving the area or behaving abnormally, such as trying to seek human shelter or grouping together in ways they would not normally do.

What about you @bubbli ? How would you survive?
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,585 mod
    I'm not sure you could take enough precautions in 5 minutes. Climbing a tree doesn't seem very effective, the footage I've seen of tsunamis shows trees being torn up by their roots.

They do say that the birds go very quiet and animals leave the area, in advance of such events, so I would watch where they go, and hope I have enough time.

Have you heard of the film The Impossible @madhug?
    @Lynne, I have heard about this movie. It's a nice movie, i didn't watch this movie before, may be this weekend I defensively watch this movie.

what I understand in above trailer, we can't easily escape from Tsunami, we need enough time to escape.

The trailer is awesome. Thanks for sharing this trailer Lynne.
    we can't easily escape from Tsunami, we need enough time to escape.
    Exactly. In some ways a tsunami is a metaphor for life.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    @madhug I have no idea about this situation but what I have learned through a workshop "disaster risk management", nothing saves you from heavy floods or high scale earthquakes. It is on spot decision what to do and what is available. I have seen people who survived under the rubble and heavy floods. So, for me I can't go so far to imagine what is suitable at that time.
    Post edited by Bubbly on
    @bubbli, Yes your are right, If we haven't time for escape we can't do anything but if we have time for escape we have to choose nearest concrete building( It must be three floor).
    @madhug but if that concrete building also fell down then?
    @bubbli, I have seen Tsunami video in Japan, everything was collapsed only remain concrete buildings. Lot of people were survived under the concrete buildings.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,110 mod
    I would try and get as far away from the sea as possible and up, up any hill or high building. I've seen film of tsunamis @madhug, and like @Lynne says, these are not at all safe as they tend to get whipped around by strong winds and uprooted. Plus the water levels can be higher than you can climb.
    @mheredge, Yes, we need to leave as far away from the sea.
    @madhug I will share with you the video of earthquake 2005 that hit the Azad Kashmir and northern areas of Pakistan. Many concrete house got collapsed in few minutes and there were many causalities as well. Similarly, flood issue is very common and persistent every year after Monsoon that has taken away houses and even animals with strong water currents.
    @bubbli, For earthquake we couldn't do anything and it's fractions of seconds everything collapses like building, houses and big trees. Only thing we can do come out from the house.

My be in the hill area concrete buildings would collapse because of diagonal construction. see below link,
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc4sQT_2GGE (13.11)

In japan tsunami have got collapsed everything instead of big concrete buildings. Someone has taking tsunami videos on the building. (13:11)
    @madhug then their concrete material will be different. :)
    Japan builds with earthquakes in mind. But in poorer countries, the quality of building construction and building materials aren't so good. Though many of the concrete buildings in Kathmandu survived the earthquake, there is a fear that people will assume that reinforced concrete is the answer and not take into account quality and sound construction.
    @bubbli, @mheredge may be you're right it depends on different places and how they making buildings. There is only survival is go as much as high while tsunami.
    edited July 2015
    @bubbli, @mheredge, @Lynne : There is one of the mobile application, it shows us when disaster is going to happen like

-Tsunami (global)
    -Hurricane/Tropical Cyclone (global)
    -Earthquake (global)
    -Flood (global)
    -National Weather Service High Surf (for Hawaii)
    -National Weather Service High Wind (for Hawaii)
    -National Weather Service Flood (for Hawaii)
    -Manmade (global)
    -Marine (global)
    -Storm (global)
    -Volcano (global)

This app has been designed for hazardous to people and their property. We need to improve these kind of applications for save people.

Application Name: DISASTER ALERT
    Link: play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=disasterAlert.PDC&hl=en
    But our experience of earthquake 2005 was different. Huge buildings were suddenly collapsed due high rector scale earthquake. I personally visited one building in Islamabad that was completely converted into a debris. I joined as a volunteer at that time to visit hospitals and camps and as a psychologist help the effected people in psychological rehabilitation.

@bubbli, This is very horrible situation, it shouldn't be happen, thousands of people are dying in front our eyes. We need to rescue people at the the time.

I really admire you putting your efforts on helping people.
    I'm going to Kathmandu in a few weeks. I'm not looking forward to the shakes that are still happening on a daily basis. Worse still, the rainy season will make landslides all the worse.
    @mheredge, we can't imagine how worse situation is going on, few weeks back Nepal had earthquake and killed more than 9 thousand people.
    take care your self and see weather updates every minute.
    Thanks @madhug. I'm not sure if I'll go much further than Kathmandu as I'm nervous about landslides at the best of times. My friend reported a small bus in the Kathmandu Valley was hit by a large rock falling on it, resulting in 17 people being killed.
    @mheredge, This is very miserable situation, at this movement we can't get good night sleep also. Could you share us what kind of precautions should we take.
    @madhug I sometimes feel these floods are also like Tsunami because they wash away countless houses in few minutes.
    I'm not so sure about landslides @madhug. I'm nervous about earthquakes, but the best thing is not to rush out when the shaking starts, if you are indoors. In fact you should try and get under a table or find a way to protect yourself from falling debris. But I think if I was in a landslide high-risk zone, I'd probably get out if I had a choice.
    If there are jolts or shaking in the room, the less risky places are either corners of the room or door frame.
    we need to keep first aid box and during earthquake people missing chances are high so before that we need to discuss with our parents where we need to meet after earthquake.
    I think the most essential item to have handy @madhug, in my view at least, is a water filter. The first most critical problem following an earthquake usually is finding water that vcan be used for drinking.
    You are right @mheredge, most essential problem is drinking water during earthquake. water system would have collapse during earthquake, may be water would contaminate so better to keep small size tap water filter is one of the good idea.
    edited September 2015
    Drinking water and shelter both are the critical issues after earthquake.
This discussion has been closed.