Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On this breezy October morn, I walk
in the swift shadows of cloud-cursing rooks,
watching the world wake on the horizon.
Leo Yankevich
All houses wherein men have lived and died
Are haunted houses. Through the open doors
The harmless phantoms on their errands glide,
With feet that make no sound upon the floors.

We meet them at the doorway, on the stair,
Along the passages they come and go,
Impalpable impressions on the air,
A sense of something moving to and fro.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

The Number 13 ???!!!!

FerFer Posts: 144 Inactive
edited March 2016 in Myths and Legends
What do you think about number of 13 ?
Do you believe in that it is showing bad fortune ?
@bubbli , @nel , @nil , @mheredge , @hasti What do you think?
Post edited by Lynne on

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 657
    I think it's a number like the rest. nothing special about it. :D
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,502 mod
    It's a number that's taboo for Christians @nil. It's to do with the Last Supper that Jesus had with his 12 disciples. One, Judas, was a traitor and betrayed Jesus to the Romans. Hence thirteen around a table together is considered extremely unlucky, and 13 of anything is seen as bringing bad luck.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 657
    So, @mheredge before the Last Super, wasn't 13 ominous??????
    And because it was Jesus having supper with 12 other's and was betrayed, 13 is ominous?
    If it was anyone else but Jesus, with the same fate, wasn't 13 a normal number like the rest?
    And another question. Didn't Jesus and the other 12 used to have supper together????
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think but there are many who believe in it. I think certain numbers have a great impact on once life. But Numerology is largely practice with calculation of numbers and its impact on life.

"Numerology is any belief in divine, mystical relationship between a number and one or more coinciding events. Numerology is regarded as pseudo-mathematics or pseudoscience by modern scientists. It is often associated with the paranormal, alongside astrology and similar divinatory arts."
    Source: Wikipedia
    I don't think but there are many who believe in it. I think certain numbers have a great impact on once life. But Numerology is largely practice with calculation of numbers and its impact on life.

"Numerology is any belief in divine, mystical relationship between a number and one or more coinciding events. Numerology is regarded as pseudo-mathematics or pseudoscience by modern scientists. It is often associated with the paranormal, alongside astrology and similar divinatory arts."
    Source: Wikipedia
  • RobRob Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Here in Brazil there is a mythical person, Zagallo, which loves the number 13. He was the champion of the World Cup football (soccer) as a player and as a coach. He is unique in the world.
    @Rob so his succes is due to this number?
    @bubbli, he thinks that yes! (lol)
    It's superstition. I don't believe it, but...
    In Brazil, there are some superstitions:
    - break a mirror;
    - walk under a stair;
    - walk and cross a black cat, among others.
    @Rob these are very common superstitions. I am sure he may not relate his success to this number, otherwise he may have some shocking effects as well. As, I was reading about numerology that I described above. There was a woman who blindly followed two numbers 6 and 8. She started her new work, celebrations on these two days as she considered these numbers lucky for her. In the end, she died on 8th of june (that is 6th month). So, this is how people follow the numbers.
    Is true this history, @bubbli? There are a lot of coincidences! :o
    @Rob may be. If someone quoted, it means there are some facts behind.
    I don't see how a particular number can be especially lucky or bring bad luck. This doesn't seem at all logical to me.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,473 mod
    I do not have any problems with the number 13 and black cats if it comes from the left or right direction. What chance has a black creature when nature makes its dark. ` I have a dream....`.
    I also don't know how people can even spend their lives on certain numbers that have nothing to do with their fate.
    @Hermine dream....?
    @bubbli, that a black cat doesn`t bring unluck.
    @Hermine do you believe in it?
    @bubbli, a black cat is as like as every other cat. I met one this morning and I have been facinated by its black fur and dark eyes. I spoke to it and said how pretty it is, it streched and was quite relaxed at my presence.
    @Hermine so it has nothing to do with bad luck.
    @bubbli, some say that if a black cat crosses the street, it will bring bad luck. I find this is unfair against the innocent animal.
    @Hermine I am with you. Innocent animals shouldn't be blamed for a bad luck.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,527 mod
    I know that a lot of people see the number 13 to be unlucky, and that is something that is incredibly common in my own country. However, it is not something that I have been bothered by personally. It isn't one of the superstitions that I follow, so therefore I don't have any kind of fear of the number at all. I do know a lot of people who are bothered by it, though!
  • RafiaremaRafiarema Posts: 369 ✭✭✭
    I don't think 13 has any meaning except it's a number.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭
    Numerology of number 13
  • LaszloMarkLaszloMark Posts: 89 ✭✭
    The number 13 brigs me good luck once. When i do the highway code exam (we have a highway code exam apart from the driving exam).
    The exam was in another city, and we go to there by bus. The bus arrived at the local bus stop at 8:13 exactly, and we arrived to the city at 9:13. And i got the number 13th chair at the exam. But i finished the exam first, and i've got the best result, so 13 is not a bad number for me.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,646 mod
    Number 13 is considered a bad number here in Philippines. In fact, even in our building, there is no 13th floor. :no_mouth:
  • JeyasriJeyasri Posts: 74 ✭✭
    I think this is just a number.It comes after 12 and before 14. This is not signifies any bad fortune because number doesn't change our life.our thought only decide if any bad moment happen this is only because of the number.This is just like blame to the number.
    For Christians @Jeyasri, the number 13 has more significance. For the rest of the world, like you say, it's just another number.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,646 mod
    @Jeyasri wrote: »
    I think this is just a number.It comes after 12 and before 14. This is not signifies any bad fortune because number doesn't change our life.our thought only decide if any bad moment happen this is only because of the number.This is just like blame to the number.

Agreed! ;)
  • MahkameMahkame Posts: 56 ✭✭
    no, it is just a big superstition . It is like other numbers, maybe it has brought a bad luck for some one and it has stayed liked that for centuries. Iran which it celebrate it's Noroz(New Year ) every year in the early spring . It is 13 days of holiday which on 13th day ,everyone will gathern and held the last day of Noroz in the nature with lots of joy and enthuisiasim . people belive that if they don't spend this day in the enviroment , and stay in the house there might be a bad luck for them that year . it means that you have to be motivated more or less and enjoy your life somehow .Our ancesors belive that don't prison yourself in the house .Life is short .
    It's rare to find 13 used as a house number in some places though @kindgnice and @Jeyasri.