Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

[Insomnia] Do you have a sleepless night? what do you do when you get insomnia?

zoelin88 - Inactivezoelin88 - Inactive Posts: 20 Inactive
edited June 2015 in People and Feelings
I have insomnia sometimes, especially when i have "things" in mind.
Lately, i have sleepless nights, because i want to be actived here, so I've been being aggressive to be a member.. hehe^^
Anyway, i will do self hypnosis or put some music and thinking what to eat for next day's breakfast when i couldn't get to sleep.

Self hypnosis is a fun part, I've used to tell myself to relax from head to toes, when i tell my shoulder to relax and then i pass out.
that works to me.

How abt you?
do you have insomnia problems?

-----------------------------

I get insomnia sometimes, especially when I have "things" on my mind. Lately, I have been having sleepless nights, because I want to be active here, so I've been being aggressive to become a member. He he.

Anyway, when I can't get to sleep I do some self hypnosis or put on some music and think about what to eat for breakfast:
Self hypnosis is the fun part, I tell myself to relax from head to toes, and by the time I tell my shoulders to relax I pass out.
It works for me.

How about you? Do you suffer from insomnia?
Post edited by Lynne on

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,382 mod
    Rarely, @zoelin88 but I don't mind if I'm still awake until four o'clock in the morning because I now that finally I'll fall asleep and I won't need to wake up at 6am. :)
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,110 mod
    It's almost midnight and I know that as soon as my head hits the pillow I'll be out for the count. I haven't done very much today but I'm knackered!
  • zoelin88 - Inactivezoelin88 - Inactive Posts: 20 Inactive
    @april @mheredge
    haha, now i know how old I am~
    I heard the best sleeping time is 10pm-2am, if you sleep deep, then you will get a younger and beauty body, and won't feel tire next day when you wake up.
    so I'm trying to be asleep before 11, but the technology keeps me awake, can't give up my cellphone. ><
    I use to check out every social app before i go sleep, that's a bad habit.

I envy who can fall asleep quick like you guys~
    A wretched mosquito bit me and woke me up a lot earlier than I would have preferred. Normally I would go straight back to sleep, but the mosquito was on the prowl and I had to get up to find some repellent. And now the seagulls are cackling. It's not exactly as melodious as a dawn chorus either.

But @zoelin88 , the trick is to TURN OFF the phone and let it charge up on the other side of the room or better still not in your bedroom. Only then will you be free from your torment.
  • moathmoath Posts: 495 ✭✭✭✭
    i think insomnia would affect females more than males , it's a psychological thing that commonly occur due to (worry)..
    we guys don't have much to worry about, or we have a higher threshold for worry
    i rarely get insomniac, but it never been later than 2:00 A.M

anyway, changing the behaviour is the best solution
    sometimes you can use (antihistamines) for intermittent insomnia, (sleeping pills)for chronic insomnia..
    it is recommended to avoid stimulants, and doing some exercises in the morning can help to make you tired in the evening then you can sleep like a baby.. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Hi everyone! I know having trouble sleeping is really annoying . Personally, when I am anxious or know that falling asleep won't be so easy, I have a cup of tea. That helps me to calm down. I hope that you will find my advice useful. Bye :)
    @mheredge
    why you sounds like you are living by the beach.
    How nice is it!
    And you are right! I should keep my cell away from me, charge it in the other room.
    I'm thinking try it tonight, hopefully i can stick on it.
    @Bilbo99
    I thought tea will make people wake,it contains coffeine, isn't it?
    I seldom sleep before 1am, @zoelin88 .
    That's why I'm so ugly, I think. :)
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how easy it is to talk about insomnia. I pray that no one suffer from it. But, there is a difference between sleep disturbance and insomnia. So don't mix them both. Insomnia is a serious psychological issue that can be due to any trauma or other serious issues. Sleep disturbance is temporary and can be due to some conditional factors or stimulus that can be cured easily.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    Hey @zoelin88 ! Yeah maybe you've got a point!! But drinking tea helps me to relax and reduce anxiety. I don't even know why this happens. Maybe my body works in a strange and a different way . :#
    @zoelin88 and @Bilbo99 tea contains just as much caffeine as coffee. It doesn't affect me though. But I can drink coffee before going to bed and still get to sleep without much problem! And after a cup of tea, I agree with @Bilbo99, it calms me. I think everyone reacts differently. My mother won't drink tea after about 7pm because she reckons it would keep her awake.

Oooh @april, you're a night owl then! If I don't get to bed before midnight, I turn into a pumpkin.

@moath, I'm not sure if insomnia affects women more than men. I think it just depends on whether you're a worrier or not, or how stress affects you.
    Lynne said:

I

@zoelin88 - I do hope the Network doesn't keep you awake. Maybe listen to some of my previous recordings, I've heard they have a somnolent effect.

You need to shout in your recording from time to time , @Lynne to keep us awake. :)
    mheredge said:

Oooh @april, you're a night owl then! If I don't get to bed before midnight, I turn into a pumpkin.

I am, @mheredge .
    Last night I only fell asleep at 2am, but I only woke up at 10am too!

Haha. Ten hours sleep! Night owl or bed bug @april?
    Both @mheredge, but doesn't an owl sleep during the day too? :)
    I have sleep disturbance these days due to the changed schedule in Ramadan. But, still I could manage to take 8 hours sleep daily.
    I like the morning light to wake me up. But interestingly, it doesn't seem to work in the mid summer when dawn breaks early!
    It is difficult to adapt the changed schedule of Ramadan. I still feel sleepy but I couldn't sleep when I go to the bed. I think my mind really need a jerk to accept this change. :)
    @bubbli
    yup, there's difference between insomnia and sleep disturbance, I used to take some kind like melatonin sleeping pills to get into sleep mode for couple months, now I don't need to rely on it. yes! :smile:
    However I have sleep disturbance since I got a smart phone. These days I'm trying to stay away from my phone when i get into my room, also get on bed a hour earlier than usual, i'm still working on it, hope it works.

@Lynne
    hahaha~ I will try it! ^^
  • nisreen.mustafanisreen.mustafa Posts: 208 ✭✭✭✭
    you know what i eat a lot cause eating a lot makes me lazy and sleepy .
  • sapkassapkas Posts: 67 ✭✭
    I have always problem with sleeping before exciting or important events in my life. I can't stop thinking then.Counting sheep, relaxing music and self hypnosis doesn't work... Fortunately there is only a few nights during a year.

But my sister suffers for insomnia. It is horrible -she looks like a monster, and she put on weight 25 kilos since she has problem with sleeping:(
    @zoelin88 sometimes we try to become our own physicians. I won't recommend you to take sleeping pills or other stimulants.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG Insomnia?!?!?
    No, no guys you are using the term wrong.
    It is a psychological disorder and it is very severe.
    If you are having severe problems in initiating, maintaining sleep or staying asleep for atleast a whole month then you have to worry that it's insomnia.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    We had a clinical case of insomnia, where a guy was suffering with chronic insomnia. He did not slept for 2 months and by not slept I mean no night time sleep and no daytime naps at all. The doctors used to give him tranquilizers but still his mind used to sleep while his eyes used to stay wide open. He lost his senses afterwards. :|
    Poor guy, @meu :(
  • Baljit0211Baljit0211 Posts: 8
    i have insomnia. i can't sleep night time but in morning i feel sleepy :smiley:
  • FerFer Posts: 144 Inactive
    I don't get insomnia since during the day I am working , so at night I am so exhausted and fall sleep at 11PM . :)