Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On this breezy October morn, I walk
in the swift shadows of cloud-cursing rooks,
watching the world wake on the horizon.
Leo Yankevich
All houses wherein men have lived and died
Are haunted houses. Through the open doors
The harmless phantoms on their errands glide,
With feet that make no sound upon the floors.

We meet them at the doorway, on the stair,
Along the passages they come and go,
Impalpable impressions on the air,
A sense of something moving to and fro.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Men's brain versus women's brain.

FrankFrank ModeratorPosts: 6,002 mod
Are men and women really different, apart from their physical features? According to Mark Gungor the brains of men and women work in a totally different way. In this video he explains this in a humorous way:

The tale of two brains (short version):

If you have more time, you can watch the full version here:

Comments

• [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be more like that part of human brain which is used in decision making and aggression is more used by males than their females counterpart.
    edited June 2015
    Women's brain is a ball of wires and everything is connected with everything, LOL :D
    The "nothing" theory is so right OMG :D
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,501 mod
    It took me far too long to discover that men really are on a different planet to women. Life became a lot easier once I'd realised this. @meu.
    Hehe @mheredge do you treat them as Aliens? :p
    Have you read book by John Gray, "Men are from Mars Women are from Venus" ?
    He stated differences of men and women with relationship's point of view.
    Well they aren't from the same planet as women, are they @meu? So I suppose they could be considered alien.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The question is brainy enough to talk about the brain of a woman. ;)
    Yes they are!
    I agree with you!
    The are Martians :p
    @mheredge
  • moathmoath Posts: 495 ✭✭✭✭
    just let him stay in his nothing box.. :D
    I guess in the animal kingdom the same thing applies. You can see the female tigress has very different priorities from her mate, who will come looking for her and her male cubs so that he can kill them. It's an extreme example perhaps, but females in general have to watch out for themselves @meu, @bubbli, @moath.
    @mheredge
    why you're including me! i'm a guy!! :D :D
    what an awful image you have about men!
    Not at all @moath. We're just made differently. But I sometimes wonder what would happen to the human race if it weren't for women's maternal instincts. By this I don't mean taking care of children, but of men!
    @mheredge I think female animals have must wiser and sharper brain in almost all species. Do you know it is lioness who bring pray for the lion and the one reason would be her judgement and shrewdness.

LOLs! I like the sentence-Without women's maternal instincts, who will take care of men besides children. ;)
    Lol @mheredge they are more childish sometimes. It is actually true that women have to take care of them sometimes.
    @moath surrounded by women LOL.
    No, but we say all men are same but they are different from women right? :p
  • TinkaTinka Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭
    @moath, can you tell us how do you experience women? My husband sometimes groan, that I'm from one another planet and then he wonder, how it is possible to successfully survive with the woman without the instruction kit... Probably he has lost it before he met me :smile:
    @meu @mheredge @Tinka
    Girls! seriously, you're living your fantasies
    men see women as childish as you can't imagine
    and if a man can't modify his brain to adapt to a woman behavior, he wouldn't be a man
    of course that is not my experience @Tinka , because i didn't find the special one yet, but that what is told by other men! hehe

but hey, i can tell you this:
    women who make this life colorful
    ;)
    He he, that's very interesting, @moath. I have heard many woman complaining about their childish men. In short, we all are kids in the adult bodies :smile:
    We have a poetry in Urdu which says, "just because of women, there are colours in painting of universe"
    @moath
    @Tinka @meu
    i thought you women see men more like jerks
    it's like: why he doesn't care all the time, he is a jerk..
    "all the time"!!
    edited June 2015
    No @moath I don't see men as jerks until or unless they behave like one.
    I don't have such extream feelings for males. As my name means "motherly" and it has a great impact on my personality. So I am very kind with others. :D
    edited June 2015
    I think, that we are using different dictionaries, @moath .

"All the time" in the women's dictionary means "to be with me". That's the present moment of to be; the time actually doesn't matter, because for the woman in that moment the time stops. It's the experience of the eternity. Just TO BE ...

"All the time" in the men's dictionary means "to work with her or for her 24/7. The men's time is measured as something, that expires, so they need to use it very sparingly. Every second is very precious and there is always so much TO DO ...

Do you see the difference?
    @Tinka @meu conclusion is a woman has unlimited neurotransmitters that can be active any time and that time is bad for all the men around. ;)
    Every morning I see an older couple in the apartment opposite me take breakfast on their balcony. And everyday the woman, who I assume is the man's wife, serves him hand and foot. He just sits there while she goes in and out, bringing him his breakfast. I suppose it's their age, but like she's been programmed to be his slave.
    @Tinka
    see, even your dictionary is hard to understand! :D
    seems unrealistic a little bit, but if it's true men should go with it, there is no choice :)
    @moath , you don't need to take my comment too seriously :smile:

We can successfully develop the abilities of both genders. The differences between men and women are not predominantly the matter of the brain and our physiology, it's much more about the culture, education, experiences etc. The tiny differences in our physiology are connected with some preferences and abilities, but that's only a small part of the story.

@mheredge , if the couple enjoy their life, why not? If the woman likes to serve his husband, and if her husband likes to see her wife living her life in such a way, that's functional. They have different life style, but that doesn't mean, that their life style is wrong or bed. It is just different.
    @Tinka
    i don't know, it seemed serious!
    anyway, in the second case you're right i guess, it's a multifactorial thing :)
    I'm not sure @Tinka. In many ways, it's expected and not done for any reason other than this. The man just never lifts a finger to help his wife, though he doesn't seem to be handicapped in any way.
    We need some extra information, @mheredge :), at least about their cultural background and about their genuine feelings about the situation. In some cultures a woman may have a role to serve her husband in such a way, and for her that could be a normal everyday experience. However, the majority of women in my culture would be unsatisfied with such a role :s , but that's not the measure for other cultures.
    They look like they are French or British @Tinka. They are both probably retired, in their 60s. They might be just on holiday, renting the apartment for a while, as I've never seen them before. What I'm trying to say, is that yhis kind of behaviour here is dying out, as young French or British women are very unlikely to serve their partners so slavishly, however much they love eachother (if anything, the man might be seen to pamper his wife).