Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

I am Malala, is being read

DeriocDerioc Posts: 90 ✭✭
Nowaday I am reading book named I am Malala, through this book i found a lot of feelings of people who were has been suffered by wily terrorist army. And I was captivated by her father's courage. So, Here does anyone has read that book?

Comments

• BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,807 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't read this book yet but I will definitely read it. Malala is a heroic person and we proud of her being Pakistanis. She has given a new dimension to the old tribal rituals and customs. I must appreciate her for what she has been doing for the girl education. Due to my keen interest in education, I think her approaches towards education system and policies are right. I think she would be a great name in the field of education in future.
  • DeriocDerioc Posts: 90 ✭✭
    I am not sure how good she will doing in future, but i was captivated by her motivation and thought. She don't want to hit back with her sandal to the person, who shot her with gun, she can think that it's violence too.
    @Derioc she has to face all of it. I might not like to see her as a poitical leader of my country due to her partial views about certain things but she has no choice.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,052 mod
    Read this book! She's amazing. Everyone should know about her story. She's such a brave girl and her family too. She lives in the UK now.
    I didn't read the book yet but I could guess the crux of it. :)
  • abderabder Posts: 22 ✭✭
    It's a real drama: a girl shot because she decided to continue going to school.
    The book got a lot of talking in the US media, but unfortunately, US administration supported and continue to support antidemocratic systems (Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Egypt,...) and thus is playing an active role in this dram?
    Her story is so inspiring @abder. @Bubbly, you really must read her story. She's a real heroine. She is a very deserving Nobel prize winner. (I hear she did very well in her exams in the UK @abder).
    @mheredge yes but still I want other girls to be recognized equally like Malala who were shot at that time. People don't accept her here in Pakistan the way western world accepted. I agree with abder that there is US lobby that highlighted the issue. Otherwise, on daily basis, many girls become the victim of terrorism in adjoining areas of Afghanistan and they get buried silently.
    @Buddly @mheredge @abder I had finished the book called I am Malala few days ago. But, I have no idea how US became in her story. That book did not explain that much about noble peace prize and it mention that she got many prize not because of got a shot from a Talib. And a friend told me that, getting the prize to Malala was an accident or luck.
    @Derioc Yes it is. Just a luck. Otherwise, there were many other girls who had been shot dead by the talibans and no body knows about them.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,335 mod
    @Deroic @mheredge: Is it true-to-life story?
    @kindgnice Yes, that is a true life story
  • > @Bubbly said:
    >Its quite dubious that hundreds of girls get killed and nobody really cares!!!!. On the other hand a girl shoots into fame from nowhere!!! There is a lot of political melodramas taking place behind closed doors. But what she had done is to be appreciated wholeheartedly.....
    @universalcitizen many Pakistanis are still looking for the answers. :)
  • We too are eager to know the origin of rotten scent........
    @universalcitizen, @Bubbly and @Derioc, whilst other girls have been shot at, not many survive and then go on to speak out promoting the cause of girls' education like Malala. Very few survivors too, might be as forthright as she has been. This takes guts. She might be considered luck in the sense that she survived, but otherwise I don't think anyone should belittle what this young girl has managed to achieve.

I don't know what you mean when you say there a US angle, as it has nothing to do with them. She went to the UK for her surgery and lives in the UK. (Maybe the US want to make a PR thing of it).

She's a very brave girl, as despite threats and her handicaps (she can't see properly), she has taken on an important role as ambassador for peace and girls' education. I don't think anyone gets the Nobel Peace Prize by accident. I think the cause she is speaking out for is very important and that the prize is very well deserved.
    edited March 2016
    @mheredge it is difficult to relate about her stuggle for education. I admire her for her bold stance that she has taken for education but there are many questions that still need to be addressed when she will be back to Pakistan. The only extraordinary thing she can do is to bring a real revolution in educations besides slogans.
    I wonder if she will ever return @Bubbly. How long will it be until she will be able to come back in safety? I think she has too many enemies there. But her publicity to the cause of education for girls, not just in Pakistan, is a big help. Raising people's awareness is the first step to making changes.
    @mheredge there is a lot to be done in this case. Many organizations are getting alot of money in the name of girls education but actually 10% improvement cannot be seen. The ratio of the children who are out of the school is increasing day by day.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,335 mod
    I hope government will resolve this education incapacities. @Bubbly @mheredge
    I was really shocked when I saw that overall literacy in Pakistan was as low as in Nepal @Bubbly. Here too, girls are at a huge disadvantage, but the situation is slowly improving. Yet you say in Pakistan it is getting worse. Why is this?
    @mheredge that is why I am planning to work in the education sector. There are many national and international NGOs who are working for education but again that is not sufficient. Usually, many projects stop due to terrorism or other law&order situation throughout the country. The quality of education is being compromised by making education a full time business.
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭✭
    i will definitely try for the book(I am malala)!she is the real hero!everything can be short out with proper education.her thinking is precious and need to be implemented in every country.
    I think she's pretty amazing too @mohit_singh.
  • sammanisammani Posts: 238 ✭✭
    Reading books is perfect to spend our free time. But recently I didn`t read any book.
  • vetridvetrid Posts: 4
    By the way what do you think guys about learning english by reading the books?
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes I agree with you @mheredge
    She is like a living inspiration for all the girls like her.she gives hope to the girls in her country and worldwide.
    Though, I know the whole story but I really want to read her book. Let me check the E-book first. :)
    @mheredge thank you. I will definitely read it soon.