Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Actions vs words

rahil11rahil11 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭
We often hear that actions speak louder than words and I agree with it completely. If a person doesn't implement on his/her own words, we call them hypocrite. But on the other side, words laid down by great philosophers shape our societies, their actions may not set examples for us, but their sayings provide basis to our lives

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,509 mod
    We have a saying, "If you're going to talk the talk, you've got to walk the walk".
  • TinkaTinka Posts: 740 ✭✭✭
    There is one another saying about that: “actions speak louder than words”.

According to some researchers approximately 90% of all daily communication is nonverbal. That means, we are expressing much more with our actions than with words. Unfortunately as we grow older, we depend too much on words and poorly understand the nonverbal meaning.

When I was a student, I worked as a volunteer in the neighbour country and my knowledge of their language was very poor. It was very interesting, that I couldn't communicate with adults, because they didn't understand me, but I could communicate very efficiently with kids. The kids understood the nonverbal communication much better than adults.
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,711 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends upon the situations we are dealing with. Usually, people commit something one day but back out another day due to some add up during that time. I don't say it is hypocrisy but the best option at that time that may be different from the past where we have committed something.
    Or we could ask Elvis:-

• moathmoath Posts: 495 ✭✭✭✭
    @rahil11
    you know why we respect those great people? because they "walk the walk"
    that is why we want to be like them, realizing that it's better to act the way they say or act, maybe they didn't do everything they said, but in our minds we know those people are greater so we will be good enough to act every word they say,, naturally we choose the best choice in our minds view..
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 23,519 mod
    Some people are all talk. It's all blah, blah, blah.
  • MonikMonik Posts: 874 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd prefer actions rather words.. Sometimes it's a waste of time to talk too much.. Especially if what you say have nothing to do with your actions. Talk is worthless then.
    I've been talking about getting a book to learn Italian and finally today I found one and bought it.
    Just remember, buying a book doesn't work until you open it and start reading it. :wink:
  • korczixkorczix Posts: 58 ✭✭
    but sometimes words motivate people to action and without talking people don't want ot change anything in live.
    @korczix but those words should be based on personal experience or practical grounds. :)
    I have opened it, but not as many times as I need to @Lynne!
    @mheredge you opened what-a book? which one?
  • I have opened my English speaking book for learning words to take an action.
  • korczixkorczix Posts: 58 ✭✭
    of course in that case those words have power @Bubbly
  • RafiaremaRafiarema Posts: 369 ✭✭✭
    As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say. I just watch what they do - Andrew Carnegie
  • BilawalBilawal Posts: 33 ✭✭
    Thoughts make words and words make actions.
  • RafiaremaRafiarema Posts: 369 ✭✭✭
    @bilawal I guess It depends on who speaks.
    @Rafiarema it also matter what are you saying means words. :)
  • NaazNaaz Posts: 24 ✭✭
    Your action speak
    you dont need a word to speak
    @Naaz your actions also need some words. :)
    @Frank wouldn't agree with you @Bubbly. :wink:
    @Lynne I am looking forward to see an image (action) from @frank. :)
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,070 mod
    edited October 2015
    That's right @Lynne @Bubbly. Actions generally speak for themselves and are mostly more powerful (speak louder) than words. Do you want an action to proof it....?

I'm back! No image needed!
    @Frank You presence here is a big action and every action has a reaction that we often see in "The question game." :)

Welcome back!
  • GlorianGlorian Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Lynne Your Teacher Posts: 6,096 mod
    June 23
    Or we could ask Elvis:-
    In this case @Lynne, Elvis means - "No more talking baby, more to the point!")))
  • safasafa Posts: 21 ✭✭
    both actions and words are important..i think the action needs words to describe it more or to add some beauty on it and the words need action to prove it.
    @safa sometimes, both words and actions go independently. :)
  • safeen2safeen2 Posts: 31 ✭✭
    Once a mouse saw a trap, immediately informed the chicken, the bull and the sheep that there is a trap in the house but they said: mousetrap nothing related to us no longer a snake fell in to the trap, and bit the hostage wife. At once they executed the chicken, and made a soup for her to eat. Also they executed the sheep for the guests, and for the funeral ceremony they sacrificed the bull. All the rest of time the mouse was crying alone in its hole. It's not fixed that anything doesn't relate to us will not affect our life and future.
    @safeen2 Life is like this. We think we are safe and others are in danger but life sometimes gives us surprises and then we realize that nothing is certain for anyone in life.
This discussion has been closed.