Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Drug Addiction

rahil11rahil11 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
It is a renowned quote " I learned why they are called wonder drugs, you always wonder what they will do to you" and I agree with that. A drug addicted person never gets to know about it's consequences untill it leads to his/her body and soul degradation. I couldn't hold myself without talking about it as I have witnessed teenagers getting more addicted to such evil things. They lose their senses and mostly remain unaware of themselves and the rest of world.I understand the pain and misery, their parents must be going through. They not only spoil themselves but also become a cause of anxiety for their families. Drug addiction also gives birth to other henious crimes like domestic violence, sexual abuse or murders. Poverty, ignorance and illiteracy are also few of its outcomes.
Not only is it dreadful to health but It is immoral too and against all religious beliefs.
Teenagers are the future of a nation and if such evil things like drugs aren't controlled, then it may lead to the downfall of the nation. Though every country speaks against it, but I feel there is still a lot to do to demolish this social evil completely. Furthermore, parents should become more aware of the activities, they must enquire about their daily activities to prevent their children from getting into such evil habit
What are your views about it, what steps should be taken to avoid misuse of drugs completely?
Lastly I'm Sorry if I have posted this discussion in wrong section. I couldn't find any other section for it apart from "health and beauty" . I also hope that you won't mind my poor English :)

Comments

• rahil11rahil11 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    @bubbli @meu @tinka @nil @nel @frank @april @mheredge @maryam @lynne @zakaria_dandouni1 @Saira @filauzio @dujiannantori
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,058 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @rahil11 I have worked on effects of drug addition as a project assignment during my university time. In my personal opinion there are not set solutions to this problem because it is closely linked to cultural, legislative, social, psycho-social, economic aspects. It also depends upon the type of drug, a person is using because there are many drugs that are socially accepted in different areas like Marijuana. There are many rehabilitation centers who are providing treatment to the drug addicts but its again a long term process.
    edited June 2015
    Yes it is long term process but there should be a proper way to control its misuse. In sub continent countries drug smuggling is not controlled the way the it should be controlled. It's mainly because most politicians are involved in it. I have seen rickshaw drivers in Delhi only surviving on drugs every day, they may have money for meals but they use it for drugs to avoid the impact of tiredness over them and they have now prone to it. Goverment never cares about those persons. The use of synthetic drugs like cocaine and morphine is increasing in a rapid rate and I'm scared that one day it will be used publically. I have witnessed few guys taking it in open without even bothering about the people around @bubbli
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I took cases of drug addicts during my internship.
    I was literally shocked by listening their reasons for using drugs. I handled from severe to milder cases. Mostly teenagers and middle aged people who were spoiled by their bad company and started drugs due to peer pressure.
    A guy started using drugs just out of curiosity. :o
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    Phycologists believe that the main reason that tempts people to take drug addicts is a stressful life. In fact, most of people who fall in the trap of addiction find it as a way to overcome their mental or spiritual problems. Personally I believe that such people should rather go to a phycologist who can treat this spiritual illness in the best way.
    Yes, Bad company is a major cause. So I mentioned above that parents should enquire about the daily activities of their children to protect them from indulging into such evil habits. It's rather insanity in place of curiosity. During my 3 years stay at a Srinagar hostel, we had almost 80% of the guys addicted to alcohol. At the beginning we couldn't do aanything because we were juniors, but after 1 year stay in that hostel, we successfully managed to create a group against it, we also managed to suspend three students from the college who were caught red handed. Nowadays that hostel is completely free from vulgar students. I believe it's up to a person, if he cares enough about dignity of his/her family he won't fall into such filthy acts. @meu
    I have seen a guy taking alcohol and drugs just because a girl left her, such idiots also belong to our society ;) @meu
    That's a very kind act @rahil11
    @Mariya , not many people live a calm life in this world, that doesn't mean if you are stressful, then you should take drugs. Whatever worries might be a person facing, drugs are no way a solution. @mariya
    Haha @rahil11 actually there were a lot of such cases and you know what it is a very major reason of drug addiction. It is just like they feel drug is best way to escape from their situation.
    Thanks, I feel happy remembering I have been a participant to make that suspension happen and to make that hostel alcohol free. Such guys deserve this kind of punishment, and it leaves a lesson for others @meu
    How they forget about their parents before indulging into such acts! I bear no sympathy with such retarded persons, not even feel pity for them. @meu
    Actually, it depends on culture and society. In our society, it is a menace as we can't handle it's effects.
    edited June 2015
    You know I have a friend who's a smoker. I tried everything to make him leave cigarettes for almost 2 months, but he again started to smoke then. I used to ask him to wash off his mouth before entering into the room. He knew I get irritated with cigarette smell, so he never refused to wash his mouth. Once a person gets addicted to such things , it becomes extremely diffucult to leave those things then, he/she finds its quest in his/her blood @meu
    edited June 2015
    Yeah! I agree but what if parents are also into such stuff or don't care at all. A whole lot of people use drugs just because it is the status and learnt it from parents. I visited northern areas and I was actually shocked by the fact that they produce their own wines from grapes or whatsoever. As being in Islamic state, it is actually a rare thing to be heard. Alcoholism is quite rare and only confined inside the elite clubs. The addiction here is much cheaper like Heroin etc.
    I feel depressed whenever I see such people. Kashmir was once a free place from these things, but now I find most of the young boys getting involved in it. It's like a trap :(
    Such parents are disgrace to nation and deserve severe punishment. But unfortunately that's doesn't happen. We always choose liars, cheaters, thieves as our leaders. @meu
  • nelnel Posts: 1,125 Inactive
    rahil a person who is addicted he/she isn't guilty he/she is sick. there are several reasons for teen addiction but the most important reason is family I think. Education is the best way to prevent addiction.
    I have seen most of literate guys getting involved in it ,most often college students. Their life is much more sophisticated than most of us here, but as @meu said they do it out of curiosity and they even don't care about its results. @nel
    @Nel, I firmly believe it depends on inner self more than anything else. If you fear God and care enough about you and your family, your conscience won't let you fall into such sins
  • nelnel Posts: 1,125 Inactive
    Rahil our religion isn't a good reason. We believe God is everywhere but we do some things that are worse than addiction. There are many situations that they can't tolerate it. They choose a bad and wrong way but they need someone to help them.
    I was mainly pointing to inner self @nel ;)
    @rahil11 it's about conscience. But, again it isn't an easy tasks especially when you want to seek a group conformity.
    @bubbli, yeah that's what my point is. It is more about inner self than anything else. It's better not to seek for group conformity when when you get a bad company. If you don't have control over your ill desires, you are going to lose yourself
    @rahil11 but who cares at that time. People have regrets once they face serious health issues.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 657
    I think there's not much action taken against drugs.
    The problem is among some teenager groups doing dangerous things is counted as something cool and a symbol of bravery. Like hurting themselves using a razor. Between some of my friends the one who does it becomes a God of bravery. Most of people think bad things only happen for others and not for them.
    Yeah, I agree with you. When you are in teen age, whatever you do seems right to you. You exgerrate in every aspect of your life, You don't care about good or bad. You like to be superior over others, that's why most of the teenagers get into various evil acts @nil
    When you are not confident you care what other's think about you. You just do what ever it takes to look good to a special group of people.
    When you are not confident you care what other's think about you. You just do what ever it takes to look good to a special group of people.