Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What are the best natural tonics to keep hair healthy?Which are the hair friendliest food?

SairaSaira Posts: 846 ✭✭✭
Internally, the best supplements are biotin,silica and iron (anaemia is linked with hair loss).B vitamins,too, as they help to combat stress.For a tonic applied to hair, add a tbsp of dried herbs to a quart of boiling water and 2 tbsp of cider vinegar.Place the herbs in a large jug and add the water,steep for 15 to 20 minutes,then strain and add the vinegar.Use as a final rinse.Of these herbs, comfrey soothes scalp irritations, nettle helps itching,rosemary controls dandruff; yarrow is a good all round hair tonic.
Nutritionist Kathryn Marsden recommends oily fish, organic vegetables,(particularly dark green leaves);salad and fruit (especially dates and figs);Pulses;natural live yogurt;cold pressed oils(walnut/olive/hemp);seeds(sunflower,linseed,pumpkin and sesame);Sea vegetables (kelp,nori) and wholegrain.

Comments

• [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have long hair but they are getting thinner ends :(
  • DoraDora Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭✭

You can also eat eggs for these benefits. As well as being high in protein, they contain biotin. Biotin is a B vitamin which is essential for scalp health and hair growth. Why it's good for you: Mackerel is an oily fish.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,060 mod
    I've been eating seaweed that I brought from Japan. Beer has a lot of vitamin B. But I think it's also good as shampoo as well as ingested!
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know I heard somewhere applying mayonnaise on your hair is good for their growth, as it is rich in proteins.
  • SairaSaira Posts: 846 ✭✭✭
    @Dora,very nice pics,thanks :)
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,268 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    For hair, I use coconut or mustard oil before I take shower. I don't apply other products. But sometimes, I use Henna for the hair and I think it is the best conditioner for them.
    edited June 2015

A Homemade Hair Tonic for Strong, Healthy & Shiny Hair:

A healthy head of hair with a healthy, flake-free scalp is a wonderful thing. So wonderful and desired, in fact, that there is an enormous market that caters solely to it. Walk down any hair product aisle and you’ll be overwhelmed with then number of choices you have for shampoos, conditioners, rinses, sprays, and dyes (to name just a few things.) You could spend days, and lots of money, trying to figure out just what chemical concoction will work the wonders it promises. If you’d like to break up that routine, try making some of your own products at home. I have found them to be simple, pure, and more effective that many of the things I have bought in stores.

1. Nettle Hair Tonic

Rich in iron, a rinse made with nettles can help combat hair loss/promote hair growth. Drinking nettle tea may also help battle hair loss, as iron can help with circulation to the scalp, in turn fueling hair growth. Nettles will also help with an imbalance of sebum (the oil that your pores produce) which can make a difference if you suffer from dandruff or dry scalp. For something that is such a pain to even brush up against, it’s a wonderful herb when fully utilized!

You will need…
    -A large (gloved) handful of fresh nettle leaves or 5 tablespoons of dried nettle
    -2 cups of fresh water
    -A few drops of your favorite essential oil
    -A bottle for storing

Directions

If using fresh nettle, place in a pot and cover with 2 cups of water and bring to boil, then let simmer for 10 minutes. Cool, then strain the liquid, add in a few drops of your favorite essential oil and store in the fridge for up to 6 months. If using dried nettle, bring water to a boil and then pour over the herb, letting it steep for 20 minutes before cooling, straining, and adding your essential oil. To use, pour over your hair in the shower and massage or comb in, let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then rinse.
    I haven't ever experienced/used this tonic @Saira. But my friend told me about it when I told her about this discussion. Hopefully, it would be useful. :)
    @Dora, Ha Haaaaaaaaaaa, you opened the beauty Saloon ,very nice. :) B)
    @saira what do you suggest for split hair? Any permanent solution for it?
    Saira said:

@Dora you opened the beauty Saloon

I don't think so @Saira. :confused:
    Isn't my post related to the topic of the discussion?
    @Dora, no no, I am very happy to see this detail,really appreciated.
    @bubbli , actually ,we have to cut half inch after one or two months.When the ends get dry they split .The people who have dry hair they have more split ends compare to oily hair.We have to take hair vitamins ,its very important.
    @Saira I trim them after two months but still I couldn't get rid of them. Anyways, I think there is no permanent solution to it.
  • deedee Posts: 83 ✭✭
    @saira, very useful topic and lots of suggestion ,nice.
    @dee,thanks ,we sometime have problems with our hair,so this discussion is good.

Split hair ends can be undoubtedly treated at home; although it might take time, the results are pretty satisfactory. I do not mean that you should forget your other hair care routines whilst following these home remedies for split ends. Bear in mind, that all these remedies must be accompanied with proper hair care for appropriate results. :)

So let’s get started.
    • Papaya Pack: Papaya can actually get your hair alive. All you need to do is, take half ripe papaya (the size of the papaya varies when I say half and of course the length of your hair too), skin and deseed it. Blend it into a pulp and add half a cup of yogurt to it. Mix the both, and apply a creamy layer onto your hair. Make sure you part your hair well, for applying the pack. Leave it on for like half an hour and take a normal head wash.

• Castor Oil
    : Mix castor oil, olive oil and mustard oil in equal proportions. Massage this amalgamation of oils into your hair. Wrap your hair with a towel and leave for around 30 minutes. Have a normal hair wash.

• Milk and Cream: This is a tried and tested grandma’s tip for split ends. All you need to do is take half a cup of milk, and mix in one spoon of cream. Blend and beat thoroughly, now apply this onto the scalp and hair tips. Let it be on for around 15 minutes and wash off normally.

• Honey: Honey basically nourishes the split ends. Take half cup of curd and mix it with a tablespoon of honey. Beat it well, and apply to the strands and tips of the hair. Leave it on for around 20 minutes, wash off as usual.

More at:
    http://makeupandbeauty.com/split-hair-ends-home-remedies-treatment/
    I hope it'd work @Bubbli and @Saira. :)
    @Dora the Explorer,thank you very much for this deep research,Excellent B)
    Does that mean you don't need my research anymore @Saira?
    @Dora Thank you very much for the beautiful remedies. I have used this one and it worked well but I couldn't do it regularly that is why I am facing this issue again and again.

Castor Oil: Mix castor oil, olive oil and mustard oil in equal proportions. Massage this amalgamation of oils into your hair. Wrap your hair with a towel and leave for around 30 minutes. Have a normal hair wash.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    I have started to use honey and coconut oil...
    its really effective and beacause of usage of this oil my hair growth has increased and my hair are getting shiny!
This discussion has been closed.