Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Interesting Facts ...

DoraDora Teacher's PetPosts: 3,068 mod
edited June 2015 in Science and nature

Comments

• DoraDora Teacher's Pet Posts: 3,068 mod

• QandeelrashiqueQandeelrashique Posts: 53 ✭✭
    Nice information @Dora. It'll help in my studies!
  • SairaSaira Posts: 771 ✭✭✭
    Did you know ,earthworms have up to five hearts?
    Yeah @Saira. :)
    Earthworms do not have a multichambered heart like mammals or reptiles but instead have a series of single-chambered aortic arches, or "psuedohearts," that pump blood through the circulatory system. Some biologists argue that these structures are indeed hearts, but whether they can be considered true hearts or not, the average earthworm has five of these circulatory-system structures arranged consecutively.

The space race was one of the most historic events of the twentieth century and played a significant role in the outcome of the Cold War. However, few people are aware of the facts surrounding this unique event in humankind’s history and their knowledge mostly revolves around the first man on the moon and the subsequent moon landing conspiracy theories. Here are 25 facts about the space race that will enlighten and intrigue you at the same time. So buckle your seat belts and get ready to take a trip to the stars.

On October 4, 1957, the Soviet Union became the country that officially started the so-called space race by launching the Sputnik 1, the first Earth satellite in history.

A month after the USSR sent Sputnik 1 into space, they sent Sputnik 2, which was the first spacecraft to carry an animal (a dog named Laika) and so the country made history again by becoming the first to successfully send a living organism into orbit.

However, something that many people don’t know about this dog is that despite the Soviets initially claiming that Laika had survived in orbit for a week, decades later official Russian sources revealed that Laika lived only a few hours before dying from overheating.

On January 31, 1958, the USA officially entered the space race by launching Explorer 1, the first American satellite to reach orbit. It carried scientific equipment that led to the discovery of the Van Allen radiation belt.

On October 1, 1958, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) was formed and replaced the National Advisory Committee on Aeronautics (NACA).

More at:
    http://list25.com/25-fascinating-facts-about-the-space-race-you-probably-didnt-know/
    The largest volcano on Solar System is on Mars.
    It's called Olympus Mons.
  • jairjair Posts: 1
    Padre Cícero Statue is 27 meters high.
  • SairaSaira Posts: 771 ✭✭✭
    Every minute ,you travel over 12,000 miles in space.That's just while standing still.
    Welcome to the forum @jair !
    It's great to see your first comment here. :)
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,897 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Scientific facts only!
    Scientific facts only!
    bubbli said:

Scientific facts only!

Do you have any other facts @bubbli? If you have, you're welcome to share here.

Scientific facts represents my interest in Science only. :)

@Dora In fact there are many facts that don't need to be shared but to be actually and factually manifested in feelings. :)
    bubbli said:

@Dora In fact there are many facts that don't need to be shared but to be actually and factually manifested in feelings. :)

Sometimes, I can't understand you @bubbli. Gosh, it doesn't means that you're the genius! :smiley:
    @Dora so you are blessed that you don't understand me. ;)
  • filauziofilauzio Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dora said:

Earthworms do not have a multichambered heart like mammals or reptiles but instead have a series of single-chambered aortic arches, or "psuedohearts," that pump blood through the circulatory system. Some biologists argue that these structures are indeed hearts, but whether they can be considered true hearts or not, the average earthworm has five of these circulatory-system structures arranged consecutively.

I liked this post. I think that studying compared anatomy of animals far distant from the humankind is a great way to become evolutionists. This is simply because there are so many evident clues in favour of the evolution theory, you couldn't remain creationist, if you've ever been, any longer.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 25,311 mod
    I was appalled to learn that a female squid eats their partner following sexual intercourse. It's rare they they escape with their life. Those males must be incredibly dumb to come anywhere near females of their species!
    As any species' male is I suppose @mheredge; there must be some sort of sexual attraction between the male and the female which I couldn't explain any better than by saying that it happens. I think that the female squid shouldn't be blamed at all, however, especially if it is the case the male hasn't been up to his duty, in a, how saying, satisfactory way.
    Coming back to science, I couldn't really explain such a behaviour. I think @Dora could help resolving that.
    The praying mantis also eats her partner, if I don't go wrong.
    Aha, that is @Dora, I was walking on the right path, if I can dare saying so. That's a matter of sexual inhibition, I supposed so. Nevertheless, I think this female is a bit too demanding; after all, I think, it would be better having one partner with the head still attached although it was a sexually unsatisfactory one rather than a beheaded virile one.
    There is always a reason, I suppose, why the female partner acts in a way which seems cruel to people; cruelty doesn't suit the female instinct unless it is focused on reproduction or like matters.
    Is it cruelty when the male lion eats its cubs to get its female partner 'ready' again ? I've understood something like this, if I'm not wrong, again. Probably it's just the pure vengeance of the male praying mantis by means of its furry avatar, with the head on.
    Nature is very cruel. But I read avery interesting article about why humans became the dominant species. It was suggested that we are the only creature that can cooperate, in large numbers, even though we don't know each other. It is a very interesting idea.
    It seems like other species' individuals take advantage of their owns, by means of symbiosis or parasitism over other species' members, and their cooperation, if there is any, is just a selfish activity.
    The brain's evolution has brought the belief that surviving was a matter of living in community.
    I think it has also to do with the lasting of the vital cycle. I mean that inferior organisms have such a short vital cycle as not to be allowed to wait and cooperate for improved habitat's conditions, as we humans can do instead. So they're individually urged to reproduce as fast as they can, in order to ensure lots of descendants, no matter how hostile the habitat might be meanwhile.
    Natural selection will do the rest because they don't control the habitat but they're controlled by it.
    This idea about cooperation is interesting though @filauzio. Monkeys and bees and ants cooperate, but have to know eachother or their role. Humans are a lot more adaptable.

13. I was wondering what posting after it but I haven't found any better than continuing the list.
    15. I skipped once more, it never rains but it pours.
    16. this is probably more stupid than the list above; that's why you're reading it
    17. at this point you're probably not smiling anymore, well, let's weep together :'(
    18. you're thinking whether giving me a like or not
    19. don't read this if you've already given me a like
    20. if you think I don't deserve it, give me an insightful at least
    21. don't count the points, they are supposed to be endless
    22. to be continued...
    edited July 2015
    Ha ha @filauzio. You made me laugh. I have been thinking of giving you an ''Awesome'' since I read the 17th one. Well done! :D
    And I did it! :)
    Boredom has a bright side. Bored people are often looking for ways to do good things as the entertainment bores them and does not bring meaning to their lives.

Read more at: http://www.learning-mind.com/20-interesting-facts-you-didnt-know-about-human-behavior/