Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On this breezy October morn, I walk
in the swift shadows of cloud-cursing rooks,
watching the world wake on the horizon.
Leo Yankevich
All houses wherein men have lived and died
Are haunted houses. Through the open doors
The harmless phantoms on their errands glide,
With feet that make no sound upon the floors.

We meet them at the doorway, on the stair,
Along the passages they come and go,
Impalpable impressions on the air,
A sense of something moving to and fro.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

PRONOUNCE

DAVID.A.M.RDAVID.A.M.R Posts: 18 ✭✭
I've known that sound ''i'' after L i always comes before E such as ''believe'' BUT MANY PEOPLE PRONOUNCE LEISURE/ˈli ʒər/ so this rule is wrong? but people also pronounce LEISURE lɛʒ ər/ ANOTHER RULE sound ''i'' after C ''e'' always comes before ''i'' such as: ''receive'' ''perceive'' I think this is right.

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,522 mod
    edited June 2015
    Hi @DAVID.A.M.R,

Different pronunciation is often a case of AmE vs BrE. There's no right or wrong, knowing both is useful, and consistency is key.

LEISURE

UK - ˈleʒ.ər

US - ˈliː.ʒɚ

As for the spelling rule i before e except after c, it comes unravelled many times.

weird / neighbour / concierge ...

• DAVID.A.M.RDAVID.A.M.R Posts: 18 ✭✭
    weird, Seize are Exceptions, and many others as well.
  • ZomZom Shadok Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL @DAVID.A.M.R - You're going to give you a hard time if you're working on an inventory of rules and their exceptions. Mission impossible. Why did you accept it? Who tricked you? :p
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Zom Do you know these rules? :)
    rules that I've known: accent rules: Accent Rule #1: Each word with two or more syllables has one syllable whose vowel is accented. For example, for-gét. Accents are very important to spelling rules. Accented means that the sound of that vowel is stressed, or louder, than those in other syllables.

Accent Rule #2: A long word may have more than one accent. The vowel that is stressed more or most is called the primary accent. The primary accent is key to many of the spelling rules. A second accented vowel is called the secondary accent. For example, cón-ver-sá-tion. Very long words can have even more stressed vowel sounds, but only one primary accent.

Accent Rule #3: The primary accent is usually on the root before a double consonant. For example, for-gét-ting.

Accent Rule #4: Unaccented vowel sounds frequently have the soft /uh/ schwa sound, especially when there is only one letter in the syllable. All vowels can have the schwa sound. For example, the a in a-boút.

Accent Rule #5: The primary accent is usually on the first syllable in two-syllable words. For example, páy-ment.

Accent Rule #6: The primary accent is usually on the second syllable of two-syllable words that have a prefix in the first syllable and a root in the second syllable. For example, dis-tráct.

Accent Rule #7: For two-syllable words that act as both nouns and verbs, the primary accent is usually on the prefix (first syllable) of the noun and on the root (second syllable) of the verb. For example, pró-duce as a noun; pro-dúce as a verb.

Accent Rule #8: The primary accent is usually on the first syllable in three-syllable words, if that syllable is a root. For example, chár-ac-ter.

Accent Rule #9: The primary accent is usually on the second syllable in three-syllable words that are formed by a prefix-root-suffix. For example, in-vést-ment.

Accent Rule #10: The primary accent is usually on the second syllable in four-syllable words. For example, in-tél-li-gent.
    pronounce and spelling: DGE is used only after a single vowel which says its short (first) sound.
    CK is used only after a single vowel which says its short (first) sound.
    English words do not end in I, U, V, or J.: therefore ''e'' : true, blue, exception: menu, you
    C always softens to /s/ when followed by E, I, or Y. Otherwise, C says /k/.
    G may soften to /j/ only when followed by E, I, or Y. Otherwise, G says /g/.
    ‘e’ comes before ‘i’ when sounded like (ay) as in neighbor and weigh.
    accent rules help me so much to write
    this video is very useful to understand spelling better:Understanding Spelling Part 1 and Understanding Spelling par 2 on youtube
    I'm more into anarchy @bubbli. As less as possible rules exist in my world.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Zom Existence of rules in one's life is important. No matter when life forces you to follow them. :)
    Then we'll live in different worlds @bubbly. There is room for everybody.
  • CheskaCheska Posts: 80 Inactive
    guys do you also have a problem pronouncing "TH" in a word like "thought" because sometimes I pronounced it like tought and the word "THE" but it sounded like "Dah", my teacher told me that the tongue should be from outside. hehe
  • PawelZybulskijPawelZybulskij Posts: 20 ✭✭
    don`t wasting time to study for this rules. There are lots exceptions for each rule, also there are lots accents, just more listen real native english speech and try immitate it.
  • HakanHakan Posts: 13 ✭✭
    thank you it was helpful :)
  • renothingrenothing Posts: 40 Inactive
    Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.