Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

British Humour

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 8,478 mod

Comments

• amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Teacher Posts: 1,991 mod
    Very good article. It doesn't say who wrote it?
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,478 mod
    edited December 2013
    I did, with a bit of help from Wikipedia.

But what about the question. Is there such a thing as British humour?
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 23,402 mod
    I would say yes, as Brits tend often to find funny things people from other countries don't always find so funny. Similarly Brits don't always laugh at the same things people across the Channel do.
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Teacher Posts: 1,991 mod
    I like to think we have a quirky sense of humour and don't mind sending ourselves up!
    @amatsu that's what I've heard foreigners say they like about British humour: that we're not afraid of laughing at ourselves.
    My mother could never get Monty Python or The Goodies @Lynne. But then I struggle with American humour. I just don't find it that funny. Not like Fawlty Towers or Black Adder.
    The current state of the UK is not funny, but this is:-

#brexit

The Times – Remain
    Sunday Times – Leave
    Daily Mail – Leave
    Mail on Sunday – Remain
    The Sun – Leave
    Daily Express – Diana
    The FT - Remain too @Lynne.
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 29,636 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I think no one else will think about it after Brexit!

:)

Is it so?

Too much hype!

Reality!

• Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 184 ✭✭
    > @Bubbly said:
    > Reality!

While foreigners won't be entitled to the social benefits, the Brexiters think it pays it all.
    edited June 2016
    @Practical_Severard let's see how will Brexiters serve their country in a better way. :)
    The shock has worn off, the horror too. Now I'm just resigned to the fact. Somehow Britain has simply lost the plot @Bubbly.

I'm not sure if this will work (especially if you don't use Facebook yourself), but I thought this was an amusing map of Brexit vs mad cow disease in the UK!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1302313929797464&set=a.194664647229070.51495.100000566090146&type=3&theater
    @mheredge It may be a big trial for the true brits now to detach themselves from the current turmoil. I can only see the mad lion now. :) Some external forces are ready to take advantage of this situation and you know who brought the UK to this point.

Hope for the best at least!

I don't use FB regularly as I stick to Twitter these days. :) But, I will soon be active on FB to see the pictures of your recent adventures. :)
    They want their cake and eat it @Bubbly.

This amusing conversation between a member of the National Trust and the National Trust sums it up:

NT: Hello, you're through to the National Trust.

Caller: Hello. Yes, I’d like to withdraw my membership please.

NT: I’m sorry to hear that, may I ask why?

Caller: We’re fed up with it. The houses are too full. There’s queues at the cafes and not enough tables. Plus we’ve noticed there are plenty of stately homes and attractions not part of the National Trust. And we have to pay a that ridiculous fee that we could use for anything we like…

NT: OK, so shall I cancel your direct debit?

Caller: Just wait a minute. I have promised my family that even if we leave, we can still have full access to all of your country houses, historic landscapes and nature reserves.

NT: Yes, you can do that. You just have to pay an entry fee each time you visit one of our attractions.

Caller: But won’t that be hugely more expensive?

NT: Yes.

Caller: And won’t that mean I’ll have to queue up with all the non-members and pay each time?

NT: Yes. And for the car parks.

Caller: So, we can’t use them any more?

NT: You can. But you’ll have to pay. Sorry.

Caller: Will you still send me the magazine?

NT: Well, no. Why would we–?

Caller: How dare you be so unhelpful. Can’t we agree on a different arrangement?

NT: Such as?

Caller: One where we still have full access to all of your attractions and car parks. And the magazine.

NT: Yes. You can do that by being a member of the National Trust.

Caller: Oh, you people. Honestly.
    :)

Oh that is really good @Bubbly! Could you send me the url for this? I'd love to send it to one or two of my Brexit friends!
  • simosimo Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Tunisian people are very active in the internet
    and after the brexit many of them are asking for the exit of tunisia from the Arab league
    they name it Tunixit :)
    All these countries jumping on the band-wagon @simo! It is all Britain's fault. The fall-out from Brexit is being felt far and wide. There's Frexit in France too.
    @mheredge sorry for the late reply. You can get it from the website mentioned on it.

Just scroll down and you will find it on the front page.

http://www.fridaymash.com/
    This is an interesting take on what's been happening in the UK. Why Britain Suddenly Has A New Prime Minister, Explained For Americans

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tomphillips/may-day?utm_term=.ngqo8jZrw#.oolnLgV3B
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 5,786 mod
    @Marianne, many thanks for the link.

It seems Cameronˋ idea of calling a referendum was not the best. Anyway he had to pay a high price.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Theresa May may find a way out of Brexiting @Hermine. The impact on the economy is already as bad as the financial crisis in 2008.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 5,786 mod
    That is very interesting now when all goes down women seemingly come to power.
    We always have to clean up after the men @Hermine. ;)
    Boris has already put his foot in it. Not at all funny.