Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Transforming all donated blood into a universal type

science24science24 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭✭✭
Every day, thousands of people need donated blood. But only blood without A- or B-type antigens, such as type O, can be given to all of those in need, and it’s usually in short supply. Now scientists are making strides toward fixing the situation. In ACS’ Journal of the American Chemical Society, they report an efficient way to transform A and B blood into a neutral type that can be given to any patient.

read more here

acs.org/content/acs/en/pressroom/presspacs/2015/acs-presspac-april-29-2015/transforming-all-donated-blood-into-a-universal-type.html
Tagged:

Comments

• science24science24 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    one for @april , from now, no need to check what type it is ;)
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,081 mod
    O positive is the universal donor isn't it? But isn't this also the most common blood group @science24 ?
  • DoraDora Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭
    O negative is the universal donor @mheredge. As it can be donated to all the positive and negative blood groups. Whereas, O positive can only be donated to all the positive blood groups not to the negative ones. Am I right @science24?
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,367 mod
    I was always lucky, @science24; that mistake never happened to me. :)
  • science24science24 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are right @mheredge it is the most common blood group, but as @Dora mentioned it might not be given to Rh negative blood patient, so the universal blood donor is O negative, though it's not as popular as O positive is, for that some ppl like to call O+ the universal blood donor for that abundance.

lucky you @april but the new generation don't have to worry about that anymore
    I'm not sure if we can do anything about making all blood donated universal. Surely matching the blood type is preferable?
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Universal donors will be converted into global donors then. :)
    I'm not sure if there are blood banks everywhere yet @Bubbly. Certainly there aren't many in Nepal and there are often appeals to friends and relatives who share the same blood type as the patient needing blood. I try to donate blood whenever the opportunity arises.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge I dont even know my blood type but I am curious to know it. I can't donate blood because of diastolic BP.
  • peutoscanopeutoscano Posts: 32 ✭✭
    @science24 nice post.
  • peutoscanopeutoscano Posts: 32 ✭✭
    I think my blood type is A negative.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,669 mod
    Thanks for sharing this @science24 ;)
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    Wow very interesting :)
  • pentaanpentaan Posts: 22 ✭✭
    A very interesting article @science24
    Thank you for sharing this with use.
  • saraalsaraal Posts: 73 ✭✭
    @Dora is right and always a problem happened with people who have a negative blood but now there is solution for that
  • poisepoise Posts: 52 ✭✭
    It would definetely prove useful, more people would be cured and a way faster, don't have to wait until a person with appropiate blood type will be found
  • mounamouna Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭
    We have to follow the same rules in kidney transplantation while the rhesus negative or positive don't have no importance. We take attention only on ABO system.Few years ago doctors developed a new methods that allow to person who's A to receive an organ from person who's B and vice versa.This method can eject B antibody from the A blood after this he became neutral and he can receive a kidney