Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
Please note: The MARS / WARS and FADS sessions are back on Skype for another week, but a couple of Lynne's sessions have been cancelled. Check the calendar for dates and times.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Countries and travel

mheredgemheredge WordsmithHere and therePosts: 24,530 mod
edited November 2013 in Countries and Travel
Where are you from? What is special about your country? Where have you travelled to and where do you plan to go?

I'm in India right now and plan to travel around south India in the next couple of months before returning to Nepal in January where I tend to stay several months each year. I love living in Asia. Apart from the fascinating culture and beautiful landscape, I love the freedom (often chaos) and climate here.

Post edited by Lynne on

Comments

• ElfishElfish Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭
    In case people don't know yet, I'm from France! ~:> (hmm is that a hen or a rooster?).
    France is famous for its red wine, stinky cheese and high unemployment rate, among other things. :-j
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 5,903 mod
    Austria has a cliche of drinking schnaps, wearing lederhosen and dirndkleider and the ski instructors like to take women into sheds. But our mountains, air, water are unique.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,530 mod
    I'm not entirely sure what to answer when people ask me where I'm from. I'm a mongrel with a bit of British, French and Italian blood (roast beef, frogs' legs and pizza are all favourites). I usually hang out in Nepal, India and occasionally Europe when I want a rest from the chilli.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 5,903 mod
    mongrel =))
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,813 mod
    Roast beef and frogs leg pizza. I can't see it catching on somehow.
    edited November 2013
    No? Rather tasty I would have thought! :P
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Teacher Posts: 2,047 mod
    Oh Marianne! You poor thing! I should think you needed a stiff drink after that!
    A stiff drink would probably just about finish me! I've been very lazy again ever since and have a nice train journeys to look forward to tonight to Mumbai. After a few days I'll from there down to Cochin. I think it's a total of around fifty hours which would not have been at all pleasant by road.
    Sounds much more relaxing!
    Let the train take the strain. :)
    The train would have been perfect except the berth I was allocated was a top one (not a lower one like I'd asked for) with no visible means of climbing up! I slept in an empty lower berth until I was turfed out by an angry passenger at 2am, but happily found another space a bit further down the carriage. Fortunately there were no children and everyone seemed to sleep late. It wasn't till around 9am that people started moving around.
    LOL - Maybe they expected you to be a good climber.
    I'm not a monkey! I still can't work out how anyone can get up those side berths as there's no ladder. Maybe they expect you to leap across from the the other top berths. Keeping my fingers crossed that I have the lower berth I asked for on tomorrow's train.
    @mheredge, There must be some secret. Maybe a hidden rope ladder under a mattress. Could you ask the guard?
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 9,838 mod
    It seems that if you travel by boat on The Amazon river, which sometimes takes more than 24 hours, you need to bring your own hammock.
    That's right @amatsu. I had to buy a hammock for my boat trip down the Amazon. At night everyone slings their hammock all next to eachother in rows down the deck. It was very crowded when I went, so everyone swings into eachother if the boat rolls too much.

They do sometimes have a cabin which at least gives you a little privacy.
  • HelvioHelvio Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have travelled a lot for the Brazil's countryside and there are great places like Bonito-MS, Chapada Diamantina-BA, Chapada dos Guimarães-MT and much other beautful places. So make a google search for these places, especially for Bonito, you will be impressed, I'm sure.
    I've heard of Bonito. Brazil is such a big country. I never made it to the south. Some day!
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 9,838 mod
    @mheredge
    Did you go to the toilet during that boat trip?
    It's not recommendable I was told, but that goes for many places I think.
  • HelvioHelvio Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And Bonito is not in south yet, it is just in the center. :D
    edited December 2013
    @Helvio - is it planning on moving at some point in the future? :-\"
    My goodness, yes I must have skipped to loo many times on the boat on the Amazon as it's a long time without stopping to go ashore. I have no doubt we were polluting the Amazon, but there wasn't much choice.
    I'm really glad that the EU are tackling the issue of roaming charges, but I wish they would hurry up. It still catches me out sometimes when I'm on the road, and whilst I haven't incurred any of the crazy charges you read about, it still stings.
    Maybe India will get the message @Lynne, and follow Europe. It's such a nuisance.
  • FedericaFederica Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited July 2014
    I’m from Italy!
    Italy is famous for few things like : pizza, pasta al pomodoro , mafia, Berlusconi (uhm) and other sad political actions. I think we are misunderstood ! Italy is much more like Europe, that is full of different cultures and folk customs. Every country that you may visit have its language, food and behavior.
    Well, if anybody travels to Italy (Milan) I will give him/her a little tour and/or some informations :)
    I’ve travelled across Italy and England. Here I've fallen in love with Greenwich (it’s some "tourist thing" maybe?). I’ve also made a trip in Russia (st Petersburg) but I can’t drink anymore Vodka before (and during) every meal.
    I’m planning to go to Germany for studying and learning their language. I hope to add value to my CV and maybe find work. Who knows? :)

-------------------------

I'm going to introduce you to a useful word - infamous.

Here's a bonus correction:-

I’m from Italy!

Italy is famous for a few things like : pizza, pasta al pomodoro , and infamous for other things like the mafia, Berlusconi (uhm) and other sad political actions. I think we are misunderstood! Italy is much more like Europe, in that it is full of different cultures and folk customs. Every country that you may visit will have its own language, food and different ways of behaving, but if anybody travels to Italy (Milan) I will give him/her a little tour and/or some information.

I’ve travelled across Italy and England. In England I fell in love with Greenwich (it’s some "tourist thing" maybe?). I’ve also made a trip to Russia (St Petersburg), but I can’t drink vodka before (and during) every meal anymore.

I’m planning to go to Germany to study and learn their language. I hope to add value to my CV and maybe find work. Who knows?
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • zapppsrzapppsr Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    I'm from Brazil. Brazil is a huge country, so you can expect place with sea food by the sea and cold places with hot chocolate.

The most famous dish here in Brazil is "Feijoada". It is made of beans, pork and some condiments. And you should drink some "Caipirinha" winch is lemon juice with alcohol.

We have very known landmarks as the Christ the Redeemer, The Amazon, Ipanema Beach and so on...

Brazil has a very good climate and no natural disasters such as volcanoes, earthquakes, tornadoes etc...

People is considered friendly and with a warm welcome.

It is a nice place to live.

I've been traveling to Argentina, which is not so far from where I live and once I went to Uruguay.

This year I had the pleasure to go to Europe, to know, London, Paris, Bournemouth, Salisbury and other lovely places!!

I wish I can travel more. There are other places in Europe I wish to visit such as German, Italy, Spain, Greece...

One day, I will go to Japan. (Not sure about it... must be very expensive and the language can be a problem, unless you go on an excursion or group...)
    Travel is definitely the spice of life @fewrna‌ and @zapppsr‌. I still want to explore more of South America. My friend wrote a guidebook to Uruguay and likes going back to write updates. I'd also like to return to Brazil, as I never visited the south. Last year I visited Sicily @fewrna‌, which I loved. But all of Italy I like very much, especially the FOOD.
  • fewrnafewrna Posts: 139 ✭✭
    @mheredge I think that you wanted to put the name "federica", because I'm from Spain not from Italy.