Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Can we learn English through translating our native language?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17 ✭✭
edited May 2015 in Let's Practise and Learn
Many times i think sentences in my native language that i wanted to speak. thenI translate it for a English language. and difficult words that i found, I search meaning of that word through my native language. Is it the right way to learn English or is there a any other better way for learn English??

--------------------

Many times I think up a sentence in my native language that I want to say, then I translate it into English, searching for the meaning of any difficult words. Is this the right way to learn English, or is there a better way?
Post edited by Lynne on

Best Answers

Answers

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17 ✭✭
    @mheredge @monik2014 @venkat.veracity Thanx friends. thanx for your help. i won't do that mistake again.
  • gllgll Posts: 91 ✭✭
    I did this before and result is not good. For example, drinking and smoking have same meaning in my native language which is Turkish. If I think like Turkish and translate sentence into english, it will be disaster. Now ı am using english to english dictionary to understand way that british talks and I am triying to make sentence with new words here. It helps to improve writing skills :)
  • amine1984amine1984 Posts: 3
    @lynne i agree with you. it can help you to translate from your native language but this is not the best way to learn it and speak it correctly. i have some friends trying to learn English by translating from French, and the result is totally different from English. better
  • tokitostokitos Posts: 11 ✭✭
    I'm trying a lot thinking only in english, but really is not easy, I think so I will to get fluency if I can to travel abroad to a country speak native english :(
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,041 mod
    I visited what was probably a very interesting museum if you can read Chinese. The few signs in English were badly translated, and weren't anywhere enough. It was a shame.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    Dont do that.The only way to be successful in speaking is thinking English.
    You're right @parsaking. You know when you're getting there, when you start dreaming in English.
  • ShonanShonan Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Hey @gll my native language also uses the same word for Drinking and Smoking. My native language is Sinhala.
  • PawelZybulskijPawelZybulskij Posts: 20 ✭✭
    I thing it is depend on that how your native close to English. If your native belong to germanic language group, it would not be a problem translating through the native. But if your native from far Asia...
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,058 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You will stuck between two languages if you start translating English to your native language. Keep them separate, otherwise your mind will always engage in translating words and you may get irritated after sometimes.
    An amusing literal translation from French: etre en coleur (to be in colour) is used when someone is annoyed or angry and doesn't mean the person is in colour. However if you apply it to an inanimate object, then it literally means it's in colour.
    thanx my friends :)
    @Shonan my native language is also sinhala :)
  • ShonanShonan Posts: 36 ✭✭
    I am very happy to hear it @chashikajw.
  • rahil11rahil11 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    You should do the opposite of it, translating English into your native language.
  • HikomaruHikomaru Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited June 2015
    It's very tough to learn English without using my native language.I use Japanese-English dictionary to look for English words I don't understand.
    I am surprised you should learn English in English.

-------------------

It's very tough to learn English without using my native language. I use a Japanese-English dictionary to look up English words I don't understand. I am surprised to find out you should learn English in English.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • JandarkJandark Posts: 65 ✭✭
    Not mostly .For examples in English we say : "I like you " ,in mine to express the same feeling/emotion we say vice versa :"YOU LIKE ME ".
    It's much better to try to learn English in English @Hikomaru.

There are many dangers translating literally in any language. For example, if I were to refer to someone as a 'bete noire' (black beast), I'm actually talking about someone who causes me most annoyance, which has nothing to do with black animals.
  • AchaAcha Posts: 49 ✭✭
    i dunno but if you're starting from scratch, learning english by using english is almost impossible no? i remember subconsciously learning english by reading subtitles from english movies in my native's. though at that time i'd just accept the meaning as what's given, in time my brain got used to it and yeah, it gets easier from there. but then again, language acquisitions are different according to age.
  • mooodomooodo Posts: 14 ✭✭
    I learn English from network site and watches film and when I find difficult word I search it in English English dictionary if I can’t understand I try to know it by native language.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,478 mod
    At the end of the day, there's no "right" and no "wrong" way to learn a language, there's what works for you. That said, I've only ever taught English in English. :dizzy:
  • deedee Posts: 83 ✭✭
    I believe when you speak right or wrong ,doesn't matter ,you should speak all the time.
    If you have no opportunity to speak someone then stand up front of mirror and speak loudly.At least your hesitation will be gone.I am sure ,I am making wrong sentences ,ha ha ,check my confidence.I believe ,I will speak good English very soon.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    @dee i agree with you man, so what if we ran out of words to say, cant have the exact thoughts of grammar to speak? most important is what we have in our vocabulary and be able to speak it out the way we deliver it no matter what grammar rules it has to follow sooner or later we will know our mistakes as there would be someone who could always check our mistakes and learn from it ..
    Good thinking @Dee. It doesn't matter if there isn't anyone to hear you speaking, just as long as you get into the habit of opening your mouth and speaking English.

Vocabulary is always important @jehoiakim. When you read something and find a new word, if you can then try and find a way to use the word when you are speaking, you are much more likely to remember it more easily.
  • Dominicanboy01Dominicanboy01 Posts: 30 Inactive
    I think is no the correct way. I f you do that you can mix up your mind.
    The correct way is using the language that you are learning.
    Never mix your mother language with others.
  • kamrankamran Posts: 5
    No! every native language has their own accent which cant be turned frequently into english or any other language