Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

English grammer help

FerFer Posts: 144 Inactive
Who can make an example for Restrictive or Non-restrictive clauses in this page learnenglish.de/grammar/clausetext.html
I didn't get the last part in the end of page

Comments

• Sam0608Sam0608 Posts: 16 ✭✭
    It's easy to make examples for Restrictive or Non-restrictive clauses :smiley:
  • FerFer Posts: 144 Inactive
    > @Sam0608 said:
    > It's easy to make examples for Restrictive or Non-restrictive clauses :smiley:

So would you please make examples?
  • Sam0608Sam0608 Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Eg: James was a boy who broke her vase.
    The train, which was already an hour late, broke down again.
    It was a service for which I will be eternally grateful.
    Helen was the person about whom I told you.

....:D

-------------------

James was the boy who broke her vase.

Helen is the person I told you about.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,639 mod
    @Fereshteh - It might help you to think of restrictive clauses as essential clauses, and non-restrictive clauses as non-essential clauses.

The information provided by a non-restrictive clause could be left out of a sentence, with no loss of meaning.

Using @Sam0608's example:-

The train, which was already an hour late, broke down again.
    The train broke down again. (Not as much information, but still a fully formed sentence.)
    edited June 2015
    @Lynne Thank you
  • RobRob Posts: 39 ✭✭
    What's a restrictive and non-restrictive clauses? Who could explain better this for beginners?

What clause is restrictive in Lynne's example ("The train...")? I did understand the concept.

Tks!
    @Rob you can study this link : learnenglish.de/grammar/clausetext.html

It is saying : Restrictive relative clauses are sometimes called defining relative clauses, or identifying relative clauses. Similarly, non-restrictive relative clauses are called non-defining or non-identifying relative clauses.

In English a non-restrictive relative clause is preceded by a pause in speech or a comma in writing, unlike a restrictive clause.
    @bubbli , @mheredge , @april What do you think about Restrictive relative and non-restrictive ?
    @Rob The train, which was already an hour late, broke down again.
    This example, with commas, contains a non-restrictive relative clause.
    The train broke down again.
    This second example uses a restrictive relative clause. Without the commas, the sentence states that any train which was an hour late broke down.

But I am not definitely sure .
    What do you think @Lynne ?
    It's funny for me, @Fereshteh, because in Portuguese my sense would tell the oppositive.
    In Portuguese, something restrictive is more defined, i.e., "the trains, wich was already an hour late" would be RESTRICTIVE because "wich was already an hour late" explain better that it is not any train, but the specific train.

In the sentence "the train broke down again" I understand that this train is more generic.

Did you understand?
    @Rob Did you study that link?
    This example, with commas, contains a non-restrictive relative clause.
    I just meant that looks for me the inverse way of the Portuguese, @Fereshteh. But after you mentioned again I had visited the link and I think that understood based on "builder example". It's similar to Portuguese!
    I think that in your "train example", the second sentence ("the train broke down again") isn't restrictive, it's just independent sentence. The restrictive sentence would be:
    The train that left 10pm broke down again. The chunk "that left 10pm" is the part of define the train.
    In "the train broke down again", the train isn't defined. To define we should ask: Which train broke down again? Which left 10pm! or which was an hour late.

Tks, @Fereshteh!
    Yes @Rob, and also as Lynne said , The information provided by a non-restrictive clause could be left out of a sentence, with no loss of meaning.
    Good luck @Rob
This discussion has been closed.