Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What do you think of obesity in the developed country and hunger in the underdeveloped country?

dujiannantoridujiannantori Posts: 486 Inactive
edited May 2015 in Health and Beauty
Some hard statistics from WFP(World Food Programme), WHO(World Health Organization) and OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development :

Worldwide, 805 million people are estimated to be chronically undernourished in 2012–2014 and more than 2,1 billion people re overweight in 2014, of these over 600 million were obese.

----------------------

Some hard statistics from the WFP (World Food Programme), WHO (World Health Organization) and OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development:-

Worldwide, 805 million people were estimated to be chronically undernourished in 2012–2014, and more than 2.1 billion people were judged to be overweight in 2014, of these over 600 million were obese.
Post edited by Lynne on
Tagged:

Comments

• dujiannantoridujiannantori Posts: 486 Inactive
    edited May 2015
    I was shocked that the obese population is more than two times than those in hunger. How could this wired social problem could happen? Don't even mention that there are also huge food wastes in most of the developped or developping countries.

-----------------

I was shocked that the obese population is more than twice the number of people suffering from hunger. How could this weird social problem happen? Never mind that there is also so much food waste in most developed or developing countries.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,063 mod
    But in America @dujiannantori, a lot of obese people are amongst the poorest. They are obese because they're eating unhealthy diets that are cheaper than buying more healthy food.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,340 mod
    I agree with Mheredge; obesity has nothing to do with developed or undeveloped country, but it's a matter of the way of life and the choice of food.
    A lot of food is also manipulated to make it cheaper, but it makes it also less healthy.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    I can speak about my country : obesity touchs the poorest people, because the junk food is the cheapest, and some outdoor activities for kids are expensive. So a lot of kids from poor families stay at home during the weekend and holiday is unfair.
    @mheredge @april @cheicksylla i agree with you guys partially. I know that poor people wouldn't get a lot of high quality food, I have watched several documentaries who talk about this issue. But I think the quantity is another problem should be stressed too. If it is me, I would rather buy fewer healthier food with my limited money then buy a bunch of junk food. If there's no healthy choses at all, I would count my calories and do sport often (like running on the street, no money needed). But the things that obese people do, they doesn't make any sens. The other day, I went to a eat all you want restaurant, and a obese person sat not far from me, and he ate 6 plates of food plus dessert. You know, in china, 10% population lives on 6RMB a day, which is equivalent of 1 US dollar. and they re not obese at all. Even though, junk foods re junks, but for a person who is starving, it can save lives. Plus, junk food or not, if people consomme them in moderation, nobody would be obese.
    I agree with you @dujiannantori...I understand, but poor families can spent a lot of money for food cause they don't have any money. I understand that in China 10% of the population lives with 1dollar or less. But in Europa the life price is really high. Here in France if you earn 500 dolls by month, you can't live. Of course some peoples don't care about their obesity and eat too much. For all these things obesity is not a simple problem. But in fact the biggest problem is that today on earth a lot of peoples suffer from starving, but on earth we produce enough food for all people but too much food is wasting and the ressources are not fairly sharing. And I agree with you moderation it's the key, you are right. ;)
    @cheicksylla I felt heart breaking and powerless when I think of this kind of thing. I am in france right now also, I know that at the opera and nanterre area, there re a lot of hobos, but wiredly, they don't seemed starved, I think it's thanks to restaurant du coeur. But this kind of orgnization is rarely present in the other country. Maybe here or there a so called soup kitchen, but nothing runs so big though.
    Yes effectively in France there are a lot of non-governmental-organisations like "restaurant du coeur" that work to help homeless and very other people. But these organisations live with donations. Joyfully no-one is starving in France, but obesity is an expansion here from many explainations like we talked about above. But If you watched the news this last days you had to watch the 700 peoples who died drowned on the sea. Those peoples leave their country and maybe get death by despair. Our world seemed weird. But I think everyone on Earth knows that; I teach nothing to no one. It's not new.
    @cheicksylla yeah, that's why i hate to be a part of the ones who ignore those problem. I hope to give a hand on things that I could help with, no matter how small it is, and I encourage people around me to do so, but never succeed.
    I believe that both of them are problems in the world. Obese people eat unhealthy foods or have another health problems. People who are malnourished suffer from the lack of food and have bad health. In my opinion, these statistics made a false comparison. However, if all countries in the world cooperate and help each other I am sure that both of these problems would be solved. There is enough food for everyone but unfortunately in developed countries there is overconsumption and a large amount of food is thrown away in the trash.
    Culture and dietary habits influence obesity too. I saw very few few fat Japanese people in Japan. Here people tend to eat quite healthy diets and think about what they eat, preferring to buy good ingredients. In China on the other hand, there's increasing concern about the problem with office workers working long hours and snacking on fast food and on on.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    It's all about living style and eating habits. I don't think obesity is a issue only in developed countries. I have seen many cases here in Pakistan and the reason behind it the eating habits mostly revolve around "desi" food full of fats and spices. Then, I feel genetic engineering is also playing an active role in making food unhealthy for us by removing active anti-oxidants. I have watched recently a documentary on broiler that indicated the role of vaccination in developing obesity when we use broiler regularly.
    So, its eating trends/habits and modern food technology. Both are playing an active role in developing obesity.
    Another fact! :)

@kit-kat yeah, I agree, the FAO's have estimated that one third of all food produced in the world for human consumption is lost or wasted before it is eaten, where some 40% of all the food produced in the United States is never eaten and in Europe, the food waste reach 100 million tonnes every year. It is ideal to engage some kind of charity food shipping activities, but the solution is simple but quite hard to implement. A strong lobby needs to be created to pressure the government into urging big corporations to become more sustainable. After all, the changes should benefit all involved stakeholders, otherwise, companies don't have enough motivation to get involved.
    @mheredge yeah, I agree, I think japanese re getting little influence of the globolization of fast food, but they still respect and willing to protect their own food traditions. On the other hand, the chinese re much more influenced by the fast food trend, specially the young generations, even though they are not poor, and have a vast choices of food, but they tend to chose fast food, not really because it's fast though (coz chinese stir fry is the fastest in the world i would say) but for the taste, the personal images and the vibe. Like starbucks is really popular in big cities in china, on their menu, a coffee drink is usually around 500 to 600 calories. That is insane!!
    @bubbli yeah i agree. Food trend / habits is an important factor. My father was not obese but he had a beer belly and several years ago he got diagnosed with diabetes from constantly eating out and drinking . Since then, he changed completely his eating habit and started to workout. He have lost his belly in several months and his health condition started to get better. I understand totally in some country, food culture is important : people like richer tastes, and get together for a feast here or there. In that case, self control plays a big role in all this.
    @bubbli food technology is not bad though, thanks to modern technologies, we need fewer labor to work in the field on the food production, this contribut greatly to the humain developpement. Because we have more people to work in developping high tech, and various industries to build our society. I believe firmly, there will be no humain evolution what so ever, if there is no agriculture technology breakthrough. I think people should just use every technology right get get some more self awareness and self control. I know several person who eat a lot of processed food, chocolat bars, french fries, white bread or instant noodles, but they re really thin though, coz their daily calorie is is rather low, maybe 1600kcal or so.
    In france there is a campaign calles "manger bouger" in englsh is "eat and move" I think it's really nice. Plus in every food advertisement, they'd say at the end: avoid eating to grassy, sweet and salty. It's a good move of the french government.
    @dujiannantori I am talking about GMO and we get food out of the season because of this technology. I cannot feel the taste of these GMO similar to the fresh one. Food technology is not bad but sometimes we have to bear the side effects of it. Now fertilizers are producing crops in short period of time and I don't think these crops have normal period of growth.
    @bubbli yes, on GMO, many people have health, environmental and philosophical concerns about them, and the debat continues. Since we have never had a transparent information share on this material from the government or the scientists. I don't have any precise comment on this , but I personally don't consomme GMO product and I don't recommend anyone else consomme them either. I perfer the traditional plant breeding method, plus anyway, the foods that we eat right now re all selected by humain through generations.Like for those banana sold on supermaket, sweet and soft, it doesn't exist in the nature, wild banana is not really edible. We breed this species of banana and it is the number one popular fruit on the plant right now. Even though this doesn't have any negative health effect, but like palm tree, banana tree is now another environmental issues for our planet. For me, I actually don't really care about the tast as long as the technology can feed the planet, but I care dearly about the health and environnemental side effect.
    edited May 2015
    @dujiannantori Did you see the rate of diseases are getting higher against our immunity? There are many diseases like hepatitis, cancer, diabetes etc. are spreading day by day due to unhealthy food. I have seen many youngsters who passed away due to heart attack and heart failure in a very young age. So, there are side effects of this technology and the worst thing is our body cannot sustain longer against these effects.
    @bubbli I haven't seen life threatening case of GMO but i've heard of liver when the did the test on mice. The rest of the world is ok though, I think the only country don't have GMO regulation is USA. 70% o ftheir corn, soy product re GMO. People should read more food labels and get more informed.
    Seemingly, in South Korea, you are a good employee if, after your worktime, you spend your whole evening with your boss by going to bars, eating and drinking a lot of alcoholic drinks. :(
    I think this applies in Japan too @april (and a lot of other workaholic countries). In North Korea I guess you score brownie points if you present lots of flowers to the the effigies of the Great Leader.
    @dujiannantori hmm! I will share with you a documentary that was based on the malfunctioning and negative effects of GMOs. I have few articles that I collected once I was working on Halal foods and most of them are based on what labeling and packaging. I hope I have all this stuff saved in my folder. :)
    @april not just in south korea, in china and japan is exactely the same thing, you have to drink a lot also. It is really messed up
    @bubbli ok, frankly, I have never seen an authority published GMO negative test repport. Because the technology is rather new, 20 years or so, they do not have long term side effect data yet, which is logic I guess. But if you have some reliable sources, why not!!
    A Singaporean friend told me that he had to quit his job in China as it was proving too injurious to his health! He said that there were too many business lunches and the code of practice seemed to be for seeing how much hard alcohol could be consumed in as short a time possible. He used to try watering the plants if he could (poor plants).
    @dujiannantori that documentary wasn't particularly on GMO's but overall genetic engineering. I couldn't find it yet as I have dispersed data but I will find it out on internet and hopefully will share it with you.
    It is really a man's world there, @dujiannantori ?
    When the South Korean guy was asked if he'd rather go home to his family than staying in the bar he answered that boss is more important than family. :(