Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One moment alone in the garden,
Under the August skies;
The moon had gone, but the stars shone on, -
Shone like your beautiful eyes.
Away from the glitter and gaslight,
Alone in the garden there,
While the mirth of the throng, in laugh and song,
Floated out on the air.

Ella Wheeler Wilcox
In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Do you prefer electronic books or paper ?

[Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 47 ✭✭
I like e-book

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,119 mod
    I like both :) .
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 47 ✭✭
    That"s good compromise @april
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,050 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Electronic books or papers don't give a good feel so I prefer a book in hand.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    I like both too, if they are good books :smile:
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,446 mod
    I was impressed by the number of people in the Japanese trains reading paper books, given the prevalence of high tech gadgetry there. But in China everyone I've seen so far seems to read books on their mobile phones (not even a tablet or Kindle-sized screen). This must be really bad for the eyes.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,119 mod
    When you are reading paper book, everybody knows that you are reading (you could pretend that you are reading too like a spy of course :) ), but if you are reading an e-book on your tablet or smartphone it is not obvious any more, right?
    It is more elegant to watch if you are reading a paper book. :)
    However paper books are more practical to take with you, so I love both.
    @mheredge I feel tired and dizzy when I read electronic books and I think it is not good for eyes.
    Actully each one have a features ,,for paper I can"t give up from the fantastic smell of ink and paper also subscripe and bold I like these things , for e-book ,,It"s easy to carry and read any time any where ,and you can download it from internet freely >:) ,you can do zoom in and zoom out to read smoothly and comfortably ...
    @Hayden You surely have a point. Both electronic and paper books have their pros, but sometimes I feel reading has its own decorum that cannot be achieved elegantly through any electronic mean.
  • nelnel Posts: 1,125 Inactive
    @bubbli @Hayden There were some books that I couldn't find them in bookstores but I've searched them on Google and found them. It was a good happen and I enjoyed when I read them. Sometimes electronic books are more accessible than paper one. It helps people who can't pay a lot of money to buy a book.
    @nel Sometimes this is just an excuse. We spend a lot of money on many other things. Then why not on books. I have seen people spending much more money on buying latest mobiles and laptops etc. Do you think they can't buy a book? But this era is the era of electronics so It depends upon our choice to take electronic book or paper one.
    You know @bubbli when people want to reduce their living expenses they are usually ignored to buy the books.
  • dujiannantoridujiannantori Posts: 486 Inactive
    I like both, it depends on the context, for environnement and mobility I chose E book, but for the authentic feelings,I chose really book.
    @mheredge @bubbli reading on a train or any transportation makes me feel dizzy, whether it's my phone my laptop or a real book.
    @nel @bubbli E book have a price also, and usually it's not less cheap than a real one.
    True @dujiannantori but sometimes we can download a book from the Internet free.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,446 mod
    @nel I have a friend who sent me a link to a website that has free ebooks, but I've been too scared to use it as even though the books are supposed to be free, they want my bank card details. She's used it without any problems though.
    @mheredge I don't like this kind of site, if the books are suppose to be free, they don't even need your credit card information. It doesn't make any sens.
    @mheredge I've been frauded once. At that time I thought it's ok to give out my credit card number when I register a site, as long as I don't give any debit authorization , but they had been still taking money from my account every month, not a lot though, like 12 euros per month, I haven't noticed for amost a year. And It was my boyfriend who noticed it on my account statement. We called the bank after that. I didn't had any reimbursement though.
    @nel I've used some of the free e book site, but they offer only really out dated novels. It not really my type... you have any good recommendation?
    Really @mheredge ? Yes for some books that are expensive or rare we have to pay money I think.
    @dujiannantori I never paid for the electronic books as @nel said, we can download it from net without paying any cost.
    @dujiannantori sometimes on my way back to home, I read two or three pages of a novel not more than this because I don't get much time to read it in the evening. So I carry a book with me all the time and start reading it whenever I find some spare time.
    @dujiannantori I have read many novels after downloading them like one hundred years of solitude that written by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. He was a great writer and his books are great too.
    Exactly @bubbli . There are many books that we have to buy them but E-book usually are free.
    I agree with you nel ,sometime the paper book is expensive instead you can download it free ,,, that is fine
    Well finally I see you Hayden. I hope one day I read your books on the Internet . :)
    That will be done ... ;)
    @bubbli @nel I don't pay for books all the time but when it come to some good ones, I buy them from a book store or I borrow them for a library. I think I am a little sensitive to the copyright. otherwise, I would download audiobook for my transportation time.
    @dujiannantori I aIso enjoy the feel of a book because i cannot read electronic books though I download them. But paper books are very expensive and sometimes I have to bought low quality paper books that are available with cheap price. I believe that paper book will never be replaced by anything no matter what kind of technology is coming up for e-books.