Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
Please note: The MARS / WARS and FADS sessions are back on Skype for another week, but a couple of Lynne's sessions have been cancelled. Check the calendar for dates and times.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Is there a way to learn english faster?

Comments

• KA1KA1 Posts: 63 ✭✭
    Listen to songs that are in English & keep repeating the words & sentences of the songs. Also watch movies that are in English. And keep practicing your English conversations.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,868 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @KA1 Listening to English songs is my recent experience so I am enjoying it thoroughly. It helps me a lot to improve my listening skills as well.
    > @Bubbly said:
    > @KA1 Listening to English songs is my recent experience so I am enjoying it thoroughly. It helps me a lot to improve my listening skills as well.

And when you are enjoying your favorite songs, that's an added bonus.
  • juliana_pimentajuliana_pimenta Posts: 10 ✭✭
    with a lot of practice
  • MacMac Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Daily read news pepar , English movies and song to improve our English
    Watching shows, news & movies in English does wonders
  • YevhenYevhen Posts: 70 ✭✭
    Usually I preferred to not dig deep into grammar rules. I felt that something important had been missed. Recently I've come across the information about parts of speech, clauses and phrases, sentence types, structures etc. It seems it is exactly what I needed.

Despite some opinions I think it matters. So I am going to hit the books. (@kindgnice likes this idiom for sure :) )
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,439 mod
    I agree @Yevhen. You are right, even Americans do know that some/most of their grammars are incorrect, but they just go with the flow. In fact, they're fond of using slangs to ease the pronunciation. At some point, that's how English and other languages evolve throughout the years. :)
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm devoting most of my time on reading English aloud recently. In fact. this was one of my New Years Resolutions this year. I've missed several days to do it, but for most days, I have practiced reading for 30-60 minutes a day. I recently came to feel some changes in my reading fluency. In my early days of practicing, I was really just following each words. Now, I'm trying to portray the meaning of a sentence on the intonations and rhythms. I think I'm getting better.
  • icha_15icha_15 Posts: 122 ✭✭
    @Yevhen It seems you emphasize for speaking aspect of English learning. In my opinion it depends what the most you need in English learning. I take my self an example, I prefer in writing aspect because I need this skill for reporting in my tasks. In writing we need to understand grammar well, though I still need to learn and learn more.
    Hi @takafromtokyo.

I have been learning short texts for more than a week. I try to check the effectiveness of that way. What I found is that my intonation changes while reading the learned ones. I focus more on the whole sentence instead of a particular word.

Some people say that reading aloud improves speaking. Personally, I think that it does not. Now I have some doubts about my point of view. You wrote you read a lot, so I am interested in what you think.
    Hi icha_15.

I totally agree with you. Our goals should define the way of learning. But I think the knowledge of grammar is also important for other aspects of English. I would prefer to speak correctly as well as to write correctly :)
    @Yevhen
    Hi, Yevhen. I think reading aloud slightly helps you learn to speak. To be more accurate, I dont think it's completely useless but to learn speaking, I think the only way is to imitate a native speech just like a child does. Reading and speaking basically use different skills.

The biggest difference is when reading, you don't have to make a sentence on your own; it's already written there. So that doesn't help your brain train skills to make a sentence.

If you have a native English speaker friend, you should ask your friend to help you practice speaking English. One way to improve your speaking skills is to practice question-answer. First your native English speaking friend asks you a question. You can count on your friend's questions to be grammatically correct or at least the common way most native people would say. Upon hearing the question, you try to answer full sentence reproduing your friend's question. This way, your answer would be not so grammatically off the mark. The imprtant points here are: (1)You should try to answer in full sentence, (2)You shouldn't write down what the question was. Try to make your brain work. (3)When there's a mistake in your answer, your friend should corrected immediately. The corrections don't need grammatical explanations. Soon, you'll get the hang of it.

(ex)
    Friend: Do you have sisters or brothers?
    You: Yes, I have a brother.

I'm sorry, guys. This has gotten long.
    @takafromtokyo , thank you for your opinion.

I should probably revise what I am doing now because I don’t build my own sentences while retelling the texts. They are intended for 15-years-old pupils so I can’t resist memorizing them. A few days ago, I planted seeds of doubts about the way I am trying to learn to speak and your arguments forced them to grow.

I’ve got your point. Please, look at a video the link to which I will send you and let me know if you consider such a technique helpful.

A.J. Hoge offers a similar way of learning English in his courses like The Effortless English and others.
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 572 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    It's a great discussion.
    My main goal of learning English is to be able to get information for work, mainly on the internet. So almost all I need is reading, and probably I will have few opportunities to talk to English speakers. So I thought I would focus on reading (silently) practice.
    But after a few years, I now have realized that's not enough. Even when you read silently, sounds in your brain help you understand it faster and more deeply. After all, language is primarily sounds, next letters. So I totally agree with you @takafromtokyo. Same as you do, I practice reading aloud everyday. It has improved my listening skills too.
    And still, the only problem at the moment is how to improve my conversation skills. I have no native English speaker friend. So I'm considering some taking online lessons.
    @Yellowtail
    If you have a smartphone of your own and can download apps freely, there are several apps for language exchange, I believe. You can find many English native speakers there. Some of my friends created their accounts on Hello Talk and they all started talking on phones with native English speakers in less than three days.
    Sounds nice, doesn't it?
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 572 ✭✭✭
    @takafromtokyo
    I didn't even know that kind of apps. That seems very helpful. The world has become an amazing place for language learners!
    Thank you for the information, I'll check it out!
    @Yellowtail
    Yeah, you should check it out.
    Have fun!
  • basheerbasheer Posts: 15 ✭✭
    @husna94 i believe the only way to learn new language is to speak it
  • basheerbasheer Posts: 15 ✭✭
    > @Bubbly said:
    > @ullasudayan2 Welcome aboard! Explore different sections, participate and have a fun. You will learn soon.
  • nguyenvanthanhvtnguyenvanthanhvt Posts: 20 ✭✭
    My experience is I watch movies with subtitles and days by days without subtittles. Listen to the news on TV. Speak with my friends whenever possible.
  • icha_15icha_15 Posts: 122 ✭✭
    @takafromtokyo said:

> If you have a native English speaker friend, you should ask your friend to help you practice speaking English. One way to improve your speaking skills is to practice question-answer. First your native English speaking friend asks you a question. You can count on your friend's questions to be grammatically correct or at least the common way most native people would say. Upon hearing the question, you try to answer full sentence reproduing your friend's question. This way, your answer would be not so grammatically off the mark. The imprtant points here are: (1)You should try to answer in full sentence, (2)You shouldn't write down what the question was. Try to make your brain work. (3)When there's a mistake in your answer, your friend should corrected immediately. The corrections don't need grammatical explanations. Soon, you'll get the hang of it.

The good point @takafromtokyo, I heard a one friend of mine that he has a speaking learning method by talking to himself and sometimes he talks to his pets as if they understand of what he said. Of course this way is implemented if we could not find partner or friends to learn in English.
    I think everyone has the best her/his own way to learn English and there is nothing wrong if we can adopt the methods of learning that we think is suitable with us.
  • Aml_SaiedAml_Saied Posts: 19 ✭✭
    I think, a good way to learn any language is practice it all the time and you do that so I hope to still with this way but I have I problem with the session time know because i am not an active member till now and I have work at morning daily so I hope to reach the second star faster to can follow on skype :)
    Very good idea @takafromtokyo about practicing with a friend.
  • huong24221huong24221 Posts: 16 ✭✭
    i think you should study with your friends, everyone help together.
    Studying with friends is an excellent idea, but it's best to only speak in English for the whole study period.
    @huong24221 @KA1
    Using only English forces you to master English faster.
    If you can interact with someone in English makes it even faster.

I'm still learning hoping to improe my English. My problem was that I haven't had any English speaking friends until I found this site. Now I have made many friends here. I'm so happy!
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭
    Common common turn radio on....!
    Listening English radio can help...! :D
    yes @takafromtokyo , by using English only, it forces you to learn faster.
    edited January 3
    > @mohit_singh said:
    > Common common turn radio on....!
    > Listening English radio can help...! :D

Radio & TV and YouTube in English help a lot too