Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Is there a way to learn english faster?

husna94husna94 Posts: 16 ✭✭
edited May 2015 in A Question of English
Hallo everyone, I and the other new member need help from you. As we know, we are the beginner english learner got some problem to understand this language, like can't understand when we watch a conversation of movie or some video, confused what their said on the video, defficulity when we want to speak, fear of being wrong in the use of the verb. Do you have a special trick, to cope with such things?
Thanks Before. Sory my english not good :)

Comments

• MonikMonik Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭
    There's a comment from @Frank... he embedded a video about how to learn a language in 6 months. .. Just take a look!

http://learnenglish.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1602/how-many-english-words-do-you-know#latest
  • husna94husna94 Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Ok..thanks for your sugestions brothers :)
  • ZomZom Shadok Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Then they will call you a chatterbox, won't they?
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
  • ullasudayan2ullasudayan2 Posts: 19 ✭✭
    I have started learning english from long time back.but still iam not much confident about my fluency and vocabulary. need more hard work and dedication on this....
  • ullasudayan2ullasudayan2 Posts: 19 ✭✭
    i have used the vocabulary test and found difficulty in 10 k mainly and made minor mistakes in other two
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,058 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @ullasudayan2 Welcome aboard! Explore different sections, participate and have a fun. You will learn soon.
  • husna94husna94 Posts: 16 ✭✭
    that very happy if I can understand every words that speak out by people
    Practice and practice... @husna94
    Yesss @bubbli
    @monik2014 I think I have added someone else with same name on Skype.;)
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,041 mod
    Total immersion helps. I've met so many young foreigners who go to Austrralia to work but then find somewhere to live with compatriots. Needless to say their English doesn't improve as much as they would like it to as they are always using their own language.
    @bubbli that's bad, even more if she is a teacher.. what can students expect from that?
    In Nepal most English teachers seem to be like that @bubbli. I could hardly understand the English of the English teacher at one school I work with. He has the gall to criticise the pronunciation of his students which is usually better than his.
    @monik2014 students usually don't have many options when there is a point of learning. There are few academies who have some good learning environment. Otherwise, academy is a good source of earning than learning and consider as a profitable business. There are many ghost schools where there is only teacher for different classes.It's really painful.
    @mheredge Yes I can understand that because Nepal is not different from here. I feel that this forum is working much better than these academies. No comparison but at least by the end of a day, we learn something without any doubt here.
  • chyijungchyijung Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭✭
    I used to go to a cram school to improve my English, but then I found this forum, It work miraculously better than the cram school, but you still have to pratise hard, and the best way do so is leave your comment regularly. I was so afraid to make mistakes at the beginning that I checked my grammar and vocabs again and again before I post any comments. After two month of practising, now I can produce my comment as fast as an assembly line.
    This morning I asked the Frenchman who usually sits next to me when I use this computer to only speak in French to me. I'm lazy and keep lapsing into English (which he also speaks well). But in a few days I will be in France and will have to switch to thinking in French.
    @bilal34 Welcome and nice to see you.
  • TinkaTinka Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭
    @husna94 , you don't need to understand every word. Try to figure out the main point. If you don't understand, guess. Just think about the kids. Their way of learning language is amazing and it works for adults, too :)
  • ScottScott Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
    Reading out loud is the best know-how that i have ever tried, i think. It is very useful, in particular, when there is no one next to you who communicates with. Also, it makes you got accustomed to the sound of english. Moreover, you can learn the english rhythm, intonation through it. :) i always try to do this if whenever I have some spare time.
  • dek_andek_an Posts: 8
    edited May 2015
    @Tinka , I think there is a problem when you don't understand every word and trying to figure out the main point: you can't construct you own sentence to say. I think if you don't understand some word you should remember it and learn it.
    This is unfortunately my situation: usually I understand the main point of sentence but it hard for me to say something. Because I don't know some words.
    I know I must be hard-working and I must increase my vocabulary.
    About "How to learn English faster": I think that the best way to learn some language is to live some time in the country where this language is native. But unfortunately not always exist such opportunity...
  • TinkaTinka Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with you, @dek_an .

If you would like to talk with people, it's very useful to learn some small talk. Here is one useful site: www.eslfast.com/robot/topics/smalltalk/smalltalk.htm

Besides that it's very useful to learn a group of basic words for each topic. If you learn 10 nouns + 10 verbs + 10 adjectives/adverbs for the topic, you can make 1000 combinations... That's quit a lot, isn't it?
    @Tinka It is! at least to me...From my own experience, memorizing is a good exercise. It was useful for verbs, though I've been learning much more when I practice speaking ... :)
  • ScorpyScorpy Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited June 2015
    I would like to share my personal experience. I'm a supporter of practical systematic approach.
    First, some theory. Learning English is a process. The language consists of words and collocations/idioms. It is linguistic units. The words and collocations are connected by certain rules. It is a grammar. You have to know well both linguistic units and grammar.
    And now about the practice. English is a language, not a science. And so you need to learn linguistic units and grammar directly in practice. You need to communicate and write in English extracting experience and knowledge from it. That is why the learning English is a process. It is the process of acquiring experience and practical knowledge.
    On this basis, you need to find activity which will be of interest to you. This activity will your motivation. Motivation is the most important condition of successful learning language.

----------------------------

I would like to share my personal experience. I'm a supporter of a practical systematic approach.

First, some theory. Learning English is a process. The language consists of words and collocations/idioms. It is formed from linguistic units. The words and collocations are connected by certain rules: grammar. You have to know linguistic units and grammar.

And now for the practice. English is a language, not a science, and so you need to learn linguistic units and grammar in practice. You need to communicate and write in English extracting experience and knowledge from it. That is why learning English is a process. It is the process of acquiring experience and practical knowledge.

On this basis, you need to find activities which are of interest to you. This activity will be your motivation. Motivation is the most important condition for successfully learning any language.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    @Scorpy I agree with you. Learning a language is a process that should be well planned and well structured.
  • mortezamorteza Posts: 28 ✭✭
    I think watching English channels and reading newspapers and magezines in English is very important to learn english better and faster