Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

How English sounds to non-English speakers

FrankFrank ModeratorPosts: 5,707 mod

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Huh? :(
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,897 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't open this video but sometimes English sound waves strike heavily on my head. :)

• FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,707 mod
    For me this film really sounds like the English I hear when I'm not focused on the conversation. For example when I'm talking with my wife in Dutch whilst there's a film in English on television I don't follow concentrated, I hear this sound.
  • chyijungchyijung Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭✭
    If I not focused on them, they just sound like bumble bee flying around.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 9,972 mod
    How about listening to somebody who is telling you a story while sobbing heavily?
    Totally understandable, right? :)
  • BobmendezBobmendez Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    As for me English sounds very similar to Polish. There are a lot of 'snake like hissing' sounds in both languages. Toothless people suffer very mush when speaking, I think. Don't they? :)
    @Bobmendez LOL, so you have practiced phonetics. :)
  • BobmendezBobmendez Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    Before Internet you had to look for the transcription in your dictionary. There are two specific sounds made by 'TH' in English. I would rather learn another language If I had teeth problems :D
  • aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    It depends on how fluent you are. For me, as an intermediate English speaker, I have difficulty making some sentences or remembering proper words. for more proficient speakers, I don't think there would be any problem, they can use it as they use their native language and it sounds so easy.
  • ZomZom Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What makes you think that you are at an intermediate level @aryarchi? What or who said so?
    @Zom , I'm neither a beginner nor an advanced English speaker. I know that I have a long way in front of myself to become mastery of language.
    @aryarchi - When will you consider that you're at an advance level then? Will it be the day you consider yourself as a user of English? Will it be when you'll be able to understand easily an Australia farmer, a Texan, an Irish person? Will it be when an exam tell you, okay you're at advance level, now you can go out there and speak with the world?
    You are right @Zom .
    Sometimes I can't describe what is in my mind at that time, it makes me so desperated, it also makes me attempt more and more. I'm motivated to advance my knowledge.
    I'd never consider myself as an successful language learner, cause I've already been badly impacted by such thoughts about 3 years ago, while I thought that I knew everything and there was no need to study more.
    I think I'll be curious and learn all my life. You'll probably too, won't you? As for communicating in English, the day I decided to consider myself a user of English, other people did too. They changed their perception whatever my mistakes. Have a try. :D
    Yes @zom , The more proficient you are, the better communication you'll have.
    Why don't you start considering yourself as a user of English? Do you still need your teddy bear or any other comfort dummy? :p I just think that your English is already very good @aryarchi. :)
    @Zom , It should be much more better. I have an schedule on my wall, which records the amount of my studying everyday. It contains all four skills and I evaluate my development by the end of each month.
  • husna94husna94 Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Honestly, I couldn't understand what their said in this video. I hope, I can understand english language soon, so i can do interaction with people in the world. amen
    Don't worry @husna94, it only sounds like English. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    For the intermediate speaker really there are some difficulties to understand what actors talk about. May be a good idea to watch this video more than 2 times...
    @aryarchi - I think you're hard on yourself, but as long as you enjoy doing it, it can't go wrong.
    Of course I enjoy @Zom , I haven't stuck on those tiring books. I also watch English cartoons, series, news during my study. I sometimes play English games on internet and I usually join in the discussions in our forum.
    :D - It's music to my ear Aryarchi.
    edited May 2015
    @husna94 I watched this video more than 3 times and wasn't able to understand anything :) May be somebody could help us and make some explanation about their dialog?
    @peanut yes I hope, I just learn english so I'm sory if my english bery bad :sweat_smile:
    @peanut what a name! I daily eat peanuts. :)
    Excuse me @husna94, but I'm learn English too. But to me is very interesting what they talked about? At first they looked as a sweet couple. What really happened?
    @aryarchi you are learning this language in very organized way and I agree with @zom that your English is quite good. Do you have any target to improve it to the level?
    Yes I have @bubbli , Sometime I get a trouble to understand some word that foreign for me. Cause just little vocabulary that I know.. :cry
    @husna94 Don't cry because it's not a solution. Just explore different sections of this forum, participate, and have a fun. You will learn only if you are determined to learn.