Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
Please note: The MARS / WARS and FADS sessions are back on Skype for 2 weeks, but a couple of Lynne's sessions have been cancelled. Check the calendar for dates and times.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Use of Latin abbreviations in English

ManLearnerManLearner Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in Words Words Words
We are using a lot of Latin abbreviations in English. For example e.g., etc., et al., C.V., Ph.D and many more. Most of them, we are using in scientific writings. What is their significance and are these exist in English literature too?
If you are aware of these abbreviations, you can share them.

-------------------

We use a lot of Latin abbreviations in English. For example e.g., etc., et al., C.V., Ph.D and many more. We use most of them in academic writing. What is their significance and do they exist in English literature too?
If you are aware of more abbreviations, you can share them.
Post edited by Lynne on

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,802 mod
    Yes @ManLearner, the more common abbreviations can be found in English literature.

Some more common ones are: i.e. / id / per cent / PS etc. :wink:
  • ManLearnerManLearner Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Lynne Do all abbreviations belong to "Latin". Is there any abbreviation in English too?
  • nelnel Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭✭
    I think they are in English language but you said they belong to latin.
    @nel we say "e.g" it is derived from Latin words "exempli gratia" which means "For example". Similarly we use AM or PM for time, these are also from Latin words.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    PM AM are also Latin. I think every language adopts some words from other language.

Is there any language that has not adopted a single word from other languages? @Lynne
    I think Arabic.
    I thought the same. :)
    So you are stealing my thoughts :smile:
    I steal ideas not thoughts. :p
    Its a type of plagiarism.
    What do you think about Acronyms, are they abbreviations?
    edited May 2015
    I think its private issue of languages to adopt and use Acronyms and Abbreviations. Let Latin enjoy the company of English language. :)

But again another question for @Lynne. Are these Latin acronyms and abbreviations are used only in British English or in American/Aus/Canadian English too?
    Let the English enjoy the taste of Latin words.
  • nelnel Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭✭
    True.
This discussion has been closed.