Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Insect Sciences (Entomology)

ManLearnerManLearner Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭✭
Hi all, how many of you are familiar with insects. Specially those who has study or work experience with insects.
There are many interesting facts about insects. If you know something please share with others.
Tagged:

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,514 mod
    My friend has written a guide to butterflies in Bhutan. I don't think it's a bestseller, but I have learned quite a bit more about these insects since going out butterfly watching a few times with friends.
  • ManLearnerManLearner Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge good butterflies are very beautiful and with amazing life cycle. I am studying on Ants. Studying insects is an interesting aspect of nature.
    Ants are also farmer, they grow gardens and rear pets. :smile:
  • ZomZom Shadok Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    They have gardens! Where? Inside their anthills? What do they grow?
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
    Yes @Zom they have gardens inside their nests and grow Mushrooms. They breed aphids for getting honeydew. Leaf cutter ants usually bring pieces of leaves and grow mushroom on it which they use as food. this is true about some species of ants but not for all.
    Cool stuff.

So like people herd cattles and milk cows, they herd aphids and milk honeydew. Do the aphids agree with that or they have no choices, they are kept like slaves?
    Aphids are also happy with this, because those without wings can't move quickly to prevent from natural enemies. so ants give them protection.
    What do you do @Zom ?
    I mainly spend my time asking questions to work out riddles.

Back to ants and aphids. It sounds like a win-win situation, but how come aphids have no wings? I thought they were winged. :/
    Aphids have two morphs; Alate and Apterous. Apterour don't have wings. This is a type of mutualism between both ants and aphids.
    Largest colony of Ants covers 6000 km (3700 miles) from Italy to Spain. such a colony is called supercolony.
    Are they trying to take over the world?
    No, but they are already present in all over the world except for Antarctica.
    edited April 2015
    At least they seem to get along very well if a colony can spread across different countries without fighting each other or other colonies. No borders, no passports, no visas and no wars. Wow!
    Actually ants of one colony fight with those form other colonies, even within same species. If environment is suitable then most powerful colony invade other areas.
    Ants also have passports not for our political boundaries but for their own colonies.
    How does a colony grow to become a supercolony?
    @Zom actually i don't know what is mechanism behind this. But I think there are many factors i.e. availability of resources (Food, Shelter), environment, absence of predators or competitors etc.
    Methinks that they also have to make friends with the other colonies they meet along the way otherwise they can't grow to this super level, but that's just a supposition or a guess.
    @Zom I don't think so, because ants of one colony don't allow ants from other colony to invade. There are some ploygynous colonies (multiple queen), which can reproduce more and spread nearby areas.
    edited April 2015
    Do you know: Ants are termites are also beneficial for crops.
    I know that termites are a nightmare in many countries for destroying houses. How do crops benefit from them?
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,050 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I know about many but I don't know how to get rid of cockroaches especially in kitchen.
    @Zom There is a publication in nature "Ants and termites increase crop yield in dry climate". Here authors stated that ants and termites act like earthworm, and make tunnels in soil, so increasing water infiltration. But if climate is humid then these insects will act as pests.
    edited April 2015
    @bubbli you might have listen this proverb " Prevention is better than cure". So cockroaches should be prevented by adapting hygienic conditions. Cockroaches love water and darkness, so all the place specially corners should be kept dry. No food should be left open. Usually baits are effective against cockroaches. Any food bait with small amount if boric acid will be effective. Now a days many insect killer are available like "Kingtox". Be careful that there should be no food at the time of application. Otherwise it can be contaminated. Also seal all cracks and crevices that can be housings for these pests.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,050 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @ManLearner It's not only about unhygiene issue but humidity. We try to keep the kitchen clean but still issues are there. We have tried many products and even baits but when we stop using them, cockroaches come again.
    It's not that humid in some parts of Queensland in Australia, @ManLearner, but termites make ravages there. The typical wooden QLD houses on stilts are becoming an undangered item.
    @Zom Termites are serious pests of household wooden material. However benefits of termites are for field crops and in certain conditions, but mostly termites behave like pests.
    edited May 2015
    Not necessarily once we turn ants and termites into food for us. Then they'll be perceived as new delicacies full of proteins and vitamins, won't they?
    I don't know @Zom either they are delicious or not, but they are a good source of protein. For ants how will you digest their cuticle?
    edited May 2015
    People eat leafcutter ants as popcorn in Colombia, I haven't heard of any digestion problems so far. But I'll tell you when I go and come back from South America.