Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On this breezy October morn, I walk
in the swift shadows of cloud-cursing rooks,
watching the world wake on the horizon.
Leo Yankevich
All houses wherein men have lived and died
Are haunted houses. Through the open doors
The harmless phantoms on their errands glide,
With feet that make no sound upon the floors.

We meet them at the doorway, on the stair,
Along the passages they come and go,
Impalpable impressions on the air,
A sense of something moving to and fro.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Do you do desktop napping?

chyijungchyijung Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in Home Life
I was surprised to hear that people in other country don't do desktop napping.
In Asia, people nap on the desktop when they want to take a brief rest, during the rest time in school, lunch time in office,etc
Do you do desktop napping too? or you think sleeping in public is unacceptable?

------------------

I was surprised to hear that people in other countries don't do desktop napping.

In Asia, people nap on their desk when they want to take a brief rest, during a break at school, at lunch time in the office, etc.

Do you take a desktop nap too? Or do you think sleeping in public is unacceptable?
Post edited by Lynne on
Tagged:

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,199 mod
    Do you mean that people sleep in their work place, @chyijung ?
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,481 mod
    Do you mean that they climb on top of the desk to sleep? I've heard of some more 'progressive' employers providing a quiet place for employees to 'powernap'. Myself, I've never slept at the office.
  • chyijungchyijung Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    @ mheredge That is exactly what I want to say, climb on top of the desk to sleep, It is very common here in Taiwan that student are ordered to take a desktop napping in the afternoon. they believe that it help the student to conduct better performance with a short period of sleeping.
    @april In order to take a desktop napping , you have to fold your forearm on the desktop, and put your head on your arms It's not that comfortable that you can't sleep with the posture for very long time.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,199 mod
    When I worked at night, from time to time I felt asleep while sitting in a chair.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    I have done it when I was studying for the university entrance exam and IELTS!
    I nodded off during some software presentation one time. But I was just sitting on a chair (and nearly fell off). But I don't think I've ever slept at or on my desk!
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes sometimes but not frequently. Especially in summer I can't resist to my sleep after lunch and I need only 10 minutes napping to refresh myself. Though it is longer than what I think of it. :) I have interesting incident to share. Once I was preparing a report and my boss was waiting for it. During my work, I felt doziness and I slept over the desktop and wake up when my boss was standing near to me and said: "you are really an efficient worker" :) but he didn't mind it as it was natural I couldn't control my sleep at that time.
  • shah51272shah51272 Posts: 276 ✭✭
    After lunch power nap is necessary for me, if I take napping for 15 to 20 minutes then it would make me fresh throughout the remaining day, not only me but also all my colleagues do the same thing. I heard that nap is also good medically and it improves the creativity, performance, increase the ability to concentrate. It something like reboot human system.
  • dujiannantoridujiannantori Posts: 486 Inactive
    :D yeah and drooling all over the place!!! I've done it when I was a kid. I think it's because class starts too early. I remember it was 7am, way too early.
    What do you dream about when you take your power-nap @shah51272?
    @dujiannantori So what was the reaction of your teacher at that time? :)
    @bubbli normally I'll pile on lots of books in front of me, chinese teachers re actually used to it you know, they understand that their students re quite exausted from all the classes and exams, so they would allow us to take a nap here and there as long as we can keep the good grade.
    I remember once having a student nod off in a lesson and I wasn't so kind @dujiannanotri. I woke him up by asking him a question in a loud voice right by his ear! Wasn't that mean?
    @dujiannantori I like this approach. There must be a nap break in schools where small kids usually feel sleepy in the class and don't understand their teachers' lessons. I have seen few kindergarten in Islamabad where they have made separate rest rooms where kids can sleep during their breaks and wake up fresh to the take rest of their classes.
    @bubbli yeah chinese kindergarden have a room full of bed, normally after lunch, we have 2 hours nap, I hated it, i was a little hyperactive when i was little, so I would do stuff to others when they sleep. B)
    @dujiannantori quite memorable childhood. :)
  • shah51272shah51272 Posts: 276 ✭✭
    @mheredge I'm not good enough to remember my dreams and I almost saw different kinds of dreams each time. But my dreams have no role in making me feel fresh after power nap.
    I usually don't have many dream during sleep. I have a very bad sleeping quality, probably because I sleep too late or I consume too much caffeine during day time. I think a large number of adult have sleeping disorder now days, Taiwan's doctor tend to prescribe sleeping pills for their patients more than any countrys in the world (probably except US), I never saw that many of sleeping pill prescriptions back in Malaysia. Although sometime sleeping disorder are very annoying for most people, it doesn't bother me too much.
    If I couldn't sleep at night, I would still lay on my bed anyway, I think if you had enough rest for your physical body, it help to relax your mind too, probably not as good as the refreshment after a full 8 hours sleeping.
    @chyijung a healthy body has a healthy mind and healthy sleep. So, if someone consumes too much caffeine, how can he or she gets eight hour sleeps. I think our eating habits disturb our sleep hours besides our living styles. There are many people who use to take 4 to 5 hours sleep because they sleep late and spend most of their time on social media. I knew many of them that is why I don't like using FB or Twitter at night.
  • SairaSaira Posts: 846 ✭✭✭
    I agree with @bubbli ,healthy body has a healthy mind and healthy sleep.If we do little exercise or walk after dinner and we shouldn't eat dinner late.
    @Saira I now regularly take 10-15 minutes nap everyday as its really hot here in Islamabad and I can't resist to my sleep. So instead of pretending that I am slow and dull. I take a nap during my lunch break and feel refresh and energetic.
  • SairaSaira Posts: 846 ✭✭✭
    @bubbli, Actually I didn't take nap long long time ago.But my brother and mum always take nap after lunch even my husband when he has day off.Naps are particularly enjoyable during the summer.
    Yes. Naps are particularly for summer. I think one should take it whenever gets time.
  • pentelpentel Posts: 18 ✭✭
    I do this during my lunchtime in front of my desktop, because I spent my 9-10 hours staring at my monitor, sometimes I am battling with headache and eyestrain caused by intense use working in front of my computer. It goes away once I rest my eyes.
    @pentel quite hectic work you have.
  • FerFer Posts: 144 Inactive
    When I went to school , I sometimes take a nap at break time in spring, also I take a nap for 5 minutes at work after lunch but it happens sometimes.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,527 mod
    No, most people in my country don't nap at their desktop during the day. They work around eight hours per day, and will only sleep at night when they go home and go to bed. Only very young children, or people who work unusual hours, nap where I am from. I understand that other cultures are a little different, though, and it is interesting to hear about it!
    @Fereshteh So, how do you feel after taking a nap?
    I had a struggle to keep awake at the residents association meeting last night. It lasted three hours and was deadly dull, except for the end when they started to discuss the most important issue of the evening.