Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Learn a New Language

BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,899 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2015 in Let's Practise and Learn
One strives to learn a foreign language for a variety of reasons. A teacher in a multilingual school has to have the ability to reach out to students of different cultures. Migrants lessen the impact of adjustment if they have made an effort to learn the language of their new country in advance. Learning a foreign language enables bridging of social barriers. A person gets to enjoy social and economic benefits, as well as the mental benefits of learning a foreign language.

I learn foreign languages for a fun. Because, It helps me to understand the culture of a country. So are you learning a new language besides English? What motivates you to learn a new language?
Post edited by Bubbly on
Tagged:

Comments

• BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,899 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @nel One day I would like to learn Persian from you because there are many words of Persian in Urdu language.
    @sarataer I am learning Arabic already for the better understanding of Holy Qura'an. Hopefully you will help me more in understanding some basic grammatical structures of it.
    @aditya65001 I am already working on some Hindi language and I knew many words in hindi because I watch Hindi dramas and movies. But if I feel any problem in understanding the meanings of certain words. Hopefully, you wont mind it. :)
  • nelnel Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭✭
    I will be happy if I can help you @bubbli . :)
    We can learn new words that are common in our languages.
    @nel I think there are many because Urdu is the combination of different languages. I have studied Persian in college but it wasn't a very comprehensive. But I can still remember few anecdotes of Sheikh Saadi in Persian language and Hafiz Sherazi a great poet. Then, Allama Iqbal has written his initial poetry in Persian.
    @Xanthippe thats really sad. But Asma must have disappeared by the news of "Xan is learning Arabic" :) You can learn Arabic from @sarataer I am also learning from her. :)
  • nelnel Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭✭
    Igbal Lahori is from Pakistan and had Persian poems @bubbli .I like his poems. There have been many poets in the past and now are too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    anytime @bubbli you will help me also to practice my English as well.
    @Frank thats great. You already knew many language and I think being multi-lingual, you have many advantages. Working with people at community level also give you an opportunity to learn many local languages. Basically language is a medium to connect with each other and for connectivity learning a new language is not a big deal. :)
  • TinkaTinka Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭
    You speak a lot of languages, @Frank. That's amazing! I'd like to talk fluently at least English :) I can understand Serbo-Croatian, Italian and a little bit of German, but I'm not good at speaking them. @Frank, as you are the expert for the body language, I'm guessing, if you are "speaking" also a sign language?
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,697 mod
    edited April 2015
    Unfortunately not @Tinka. Sign language is quite different than body language. Sign language, for example which deaf people speak, is actually verbal communication. In sign language every sign represents a letter, a word or sometimes even a complete sentence with a clear meaning. It can be used to speak and communicate about facts. Body language is non verbal communication. It's useful to communicate at relational level expressing feelings and deeper meaning of communication which is often conveyed at an subconscious level.
    @Frank Body language is another one I am learning because my imediate boss is expert in body language and he provides consultancy and trainings in it.
    @Tinak body language is not only non verbal communication. Its a combination of non verbal and verbal communication. A presenter might be presenting something confidently but his confidence can be judged through his voice tone, standing posture, eye contact, limbs movement etc. So we have to see things holistically. right @Frank
    edited April 2015
    Actually the terms used for this are a bit confusing @Tinka and @bubbli. You have Body Language, which means the language of your body and non-verbal communication, which means communication without words. Often these terms are used as synonyms, meaning: every communication without words, using your body e.g. gestures, posture, stance, position or angle towards the other, facial expression, blinking, eye-contact, speed of movement, intonation, colour of your skin, perspiration, deepness of breath and fidgeting. Words are not included in this list.

But like I said, it's rather confusing. Body language could also include sign language because you use your body, but that's not non-verbal communication. Its verbal because every sign represents a word, letter, or sentence to convey content.

Non-verbal communication, on the other hand, could also imply a flag on a ship or a road sign. Its just communication without words, so It doesn't have to do with your body per se.

To make it complete you can make the following grouping in communication making the following distinctions:

1. if you convey the message with or without words (verbal/non-verbal)
    2. if you convey the message with or without using your voice (vocal/non-vocal)
    • verbal + vocal = spoken language
    • verbal + non-vocal = sign language and sign-systems conveying a clear meaning
    • non-verbal + vocal = voice en paralinguistic (i.e. intonation and pitch of voice)
    • non-verbal + non-vocal = body language
    Your explanations are very structured and easy understandable, @Frank. Why don't you translate your books in English???
    My publisher is not very enthusiastic about translations in English yet @Tinka. In Holland I have a great opportunity to promote my books via the media. In England and America the promotion is limited simply because I don't live there. The book has to sell itself. According to my publisher American bookstores are often reluctant to sell books from a foreign writer and editor. The good news is that my publisher recently gave out a book from an other author in English, as a try out. I'll be the next one on the list for a translation.
    I hope you become successful with your translation and I wish you not to wait to long :) Why don't you find any publisher out of your country to accept your books in English?
    I'm very loyal to my publisher @Tinka. He helped me a lot to achieve where I am now. However suggestions are welcome. There are always means to cooperate I think.
    @Frank I will wait for the translation. If you need to convert it into Urdu. There are many publishers whom I know. :) Though you never have thought of it but I am promoting myself as a publisher. :P
    @Tinka its really difficult to work with a publisher as I have faced this issue.
    Depending of the publisher, @bubbli and, according to my experiencies it's pivotal to have a good recommendations, too. I have quite good experiencies with my first book (I hope not the last). Unfortunately it's not always so easy due to economical and often also political reasons.

I appreciate your loyalty, @Frank. It's not always easy to be loyal. It's very nice and valuable personal characteristic.
    @Tinka I agree with you. But sometimes you cannot judge publishers who are so called professionals. I have decided to identify international publishers who have some franchises or centers in Pakistan in order to avoid further issues.
    @Frank you should explore more options and I don't think American bookstores are reluctant to sell books from a foreign writer and editor. I will let you know certain international publishers who are working in different countries. I know one person here in Islamabad.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @bubbli I too learn languages for fun most of the time. Moreover, I really want to travel the world so I want to communicate with people in their language. I really want to visit France so I am learning French.
    Also, it sometimes make me feel intellectual if I know different languages.
    :smile:
    @meu France is an inspiration of many people. I don't know why I would like to go there but I have heard so much about this country especially its culture. I love the movie Midnight in Paris that truly depicted France I am sure. @dujiannantori What do you say about it?
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @bubbli oh yes! I like that movie too. Very Classic!
  • dujiannantoridujiannantori Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    First of all, in reponse for your discussion question @bubbli , I recently start learning japanese, coz I want to work there in several years when I can speak fluently japanese. as you probably noticed i am very fond of its culture.

Then for the question about france, it's really hard to answer actually, you would say that i stay here for too long that I take this for granted, but I think france is good bad 50/50. If you come here for travel purposes, for the food, for the european architecture, or the unique artistic culture environment, it's absolutely the place to go.

But since the globalization kicked in, the modern culture start to spread among the younger generation, fast food chaine, hollywood movies... feels less romantic and less sensitive. Plus in paris, it's so crowed, the transport is terrible, and it's very dirty in paris and the people is less polite than the other region of the country. So... it depends on which way you see it.

and for Midnight in Paris, frankly, it's just the good part of the truth.
  • dujiannantoridujiannantori Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    and @bubbli I don't know if you know that there is a "paris syndrome", this is those polite Japanese tourists suffer when they discover that Parisians can be rude or the city does not meet their expectations. I've heard the the only cure is to go back to Japan immediately and never to return to Paris.
    @dujiannantori so you are going to learn Kanji right?:)
    I personally a culture focused person and I may pursue some projects in future where I could get some chances to explore the culture as well. But France is definitely in my wishlist and I am planning to go there. :)
    edited April 2015
    @dujiannantori Did you ever think of going back to China due to this syndrome? :)