Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

it’s a lonely world

HeknerHekner Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
"a very tall girl lifts her nose at me

outside a supermarket

as if I were a walking garbage

can; and I had no desire for her,

no more desire

than for a

phone pole.

what was her message?

that I would never see the top of her

pantyhose?

-

I am a man in his 50s

sex is no longer an aching mystery

to me, so I can’t understand

being snubbed by a

phone pole.

I’ll leave young girls to young

men.

-

it’s a lonely world

of frightened people,

just as it has always

been."

Charles Bukowski - "the girl outside the supermarket"
"The world was a fantastic, marvelous, awesome place, Rose decided."

Comments

• SairaSaira Posts: 846 ✭✭✭
    "Lonely is not a feeling when you are alone.Lonely is a feeling when no one cares."
  • filauziofilauzio Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it’s a lonely world

of frightened people,

just as it has always

been.

That is. Everything you fill your life with, it's just a pretty way to escape this truth. Notwithstanding whatever you might have been dreaming on your better crowded days. However, all the lonely people are on the same boat, that makes a crowd again, I suppose :)
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • DenZDenZ Posts: 2
    I do feel lonely when no ones understand me. Sometimes, it's hurt me a lot, but it makes me to learn from the past and try to get a better life :)
  • kt007kt007 Posts: 34 ✭✭
    @filauzio i agree with you.
  • lemonlemon Posts: 68 ✭✭
    @Saira
    Or is it what you feel when you think no one cares?
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,000 mod
    But looking at it in another way, since many people are in the same boat, perhaps they shouldn't feel so lonely @filauzo?
    I think that's so. Loneliness isn't so bad as it's the natural state of humans. It doesn't mean that no one cares for you, at least not necessarily, that's up to your own care. Every other situation I'm afraid is a bit artificial one, and the sooner you accept this trueness the sooner you board the one boat we share each other.
    I really appreciated the Charles Bukowski's poetry. I appreciate the raw trueness, we are a lonely crowd after all ;)
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,058 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Lonliness is not around but it is inside you. To make it energetic and useful, a strong inner motivation is required. It is loneliness that introduced great authors to the world those who as loner in prisons conceived and created masterpieces.
    Going back to @Saira's quote, loneliness is more about the feeling that no one cares. Being alone is quite different if it's not accompanied by the sense that nobody could care less.
    Feeling that no one cares is very perceptual. :)
    But being in prison isn't inside you, is it @bubbli ? Maybe prison of the mind is.
    edited July 2015
    @filauzio There is no imprisonment inside but the one our thoughts create. As a follower of Humanistics, I think we have free will to percieve, think, and act. Feelings may be the intervening factor but again you can't create any logics of your feelings many time.
    Free will, that's the most important faculty we possess, I agree @bubbli, and feelings just intervening factors, nothing more sensible to say.
    @filauzio did you ever experience free will in your life?
    This isn't a question @bubbli, this is just the question. I experienced free will when I began my course of study at university.
    Meanwhile I was working to be able to afford the study expenses.
    I engaged in such hard task to enlarge my horizons, together with improve my working condition.
    I felt like a prisoner who try to definitely break down the grate. The more I learned the more I breathed the fresh air of freedom.
    Unfortunately beyond a prison there's often another prison, whose walls you aren't able to break down if you're worn out by the previous efforts.
    If your free will hasn't been determined enough, it might not be once and for all. I suppose I'd better keep hammering the wall since I've not been using explosive, as I should have done instead.
    What about you ?
    @filauzio I have many opportunities to follow my free will. It has given me expression of writing in the form of poetry, columns, research articles, modules/manuals development, counseling, training, teaching, consulting, and field work. In a very small time, I have gone through some pure experiences of being closed to my inner self-a real "I". One aspect that mobilize me throughout the process is positive thinking and positive approach towards life, whatever the circumstances are.
    By the way, your ID on Skype is still a mystery for me. :)
    I'm wondering @bubbli, how long should have taken you to gain all these professional skills, but the only answer I get is that you've to be a very clever person, I had no doubt about it, however, even before.
    I'd like to know your poetry, but I'm afraid its language is more difficult than daily English, which I already hardly get.
    What do you mean with field work ?
    I've sent you a message through Skype, so it's also a mystery to me that you can't get my ID; there must be some sort of witchery.
    I hope our free will are strongest than it ;)
    @filauzio My total working experience is 9 years.. So, you can see how fast I learned things. My poetry is in my native languages; Urdu and Punjabi.
    Field work is basically community development programs in remote areas.
    There is some issue with my Skype messenger because I am not getting any notifications these days. I have to reinstall it.
  • YinYin Posts: 191 ✭✭
    A small potato in a civilian post.
    @Yin be careful. They can make your potato chips. ;)
    Cities are lonely places for many people. It's easy to remain anonymous with lots of people around. In particular, elderly people are often left alone. It's a shame.
    You listed ten skills, @bubbli, which, spreaded over 9 years, means less than one year a skill; that's simply worth a prize.
    When reinstalled, I'm sure, your Skype will do it properly; don't forget to set again the Firewall.
    I agree, the politicians just speak about what they are about to do in favour of the youths.
    They perfectly know that elderly people don't trust them.
    It's just empty rhetoric to get votes, to keep them floating a bit longer, until the youths themselves become elderly.
    @filauzio sorry for the late reply. Thank you for your words. :)
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,641 mod
    I hope to see more places that will make me happier to compensate for those lonely places. :)
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A smart people put it, Loneliness is directly tied to the quality of wifi reception. :smiley:
    I think the more people rely on gadgetry to interact socially, the lonelier they will become. People are starting to forget how to interact with each other face to face.
  • DiakhaDiakha Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Loneliness is important. It can be like meditation. It often gives go the opportunity to look at yourself from the inside, so to say.
  • RaraAvisRaraAvis Posts: 93 ✭✭
    edited August 26
    Yeah. It's the worst thing on Earth to feel lonely. And there is no cure for it. I bet everyone felt like this in life. And it doesn't matter whether you are single, married or you have friends. Sometimes you can feel lonely even when you are surrounded by your family. Actually I remember when I felt sad I was listening to the Three Days Grace song - Someone Who Cares. And it expressed it all.

..... It's not what it seems
    When you're not on the scene
    There's a chill in the air
    But there's people like me
    That nobody sees
    So nobody cares

Why is it so hard
    To find someone
    Who cares about you
    When it's easy enough to find
    Someone who looks down on you?
    Why is it so hard to find
    Someone who can keep it
    Together when you've come undone?
    Why is it so hard
    To find someone
    Who cares about you?.....
    Diakha said:

Loneliness is important. It can be like meditation. It often gives go the opportunity to look at yourself from the inside, so to say.

@RaraAvis I have to agree with @Diakha here. Learning to enjoy your own company is very valuable. It is nice to be surrounded by people but at the end of the day, you need to be happy by yourself too.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,245 mod
    edited September 3
    @mherdge, yes, you spoke wise words. I miss the time where I had some spare time to think about me and my life. I think yoga would be fine.