Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Children always wanting their way

mheredgemheredge WordsmithHere and therePosts: 24,942 mod
Are children getting too spoilt? It seems that this might be the case in the UK. A recent survey conducted amongst teachers showed that unfair or untrue allegations from pupils and lack of parental control were key reasons why teachers leave the profession.

In poor countries like Nepal, students are very respectful to their teachers and rarely misbehave at school. However, speaking to teachers in Kathmandu who teach at private schools, they confirm increasingly finding it difficult to control their pupils, with parents coming to the school to complain if their precious little darlings have been reprimanded in class.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/mar/30/one-in-five-school-staff-victims-of-false-claims-survey-shows?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,957 mod
    I wouldn't want to go back to the days that badly behaved children would be hung in a cage in the classroom, caned, or hit with a ruler. We just need to be cleverer than the kids we teach.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 5,945 mod
    edited April 2015
    In my mothers school they had to kneel on a log in a corner.
    Our headmaster tossed a pupil, he was naughty, under the board where the boy`s shoulder got dislocated. The parents and kid were obliged not to say what really happend.
    Once he hit me, because I peered over to my classmate in a test. I didn`t show any reaction, but at home I broke out in tears.
    Post edited by Hermine on
  • shah51272shah51272 Posts: 276 ✭✭
    @Hermine I'm sorry for you but this thing happened to me five to six times in my school life though I had not got punishment on same reason.
  • MonikMonik Posts: 978 ✭✭✭✭
    @Lynne you are right! "We just need to be clever .." kids seem have been born with a special features, they are not like us at their age. I think it's good to avoid that kind of punishments that we used before, thanks God nobody did something against me, but there is another current problem in the education, parents and educators have no idea about to correct bad behaviours, so that's why most of kids do what they want.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 9,913 mod
    I can't remember any punishments to any children in my school period.
    I only remember good time and rewards at that time.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,942 mod
    I remember being picked out to stand face to the wall because I'd screwed up a crisp packet that had made a noise after the bell had gone. I thought it was very unfair to be punished in this way. But when I complained about it to my mother, she laughed. This was worse than the punishment.
    What should we say to our children if they were bullied or punished at school?
    To calm down or to fight back?
  • DavidBHDavidBH Posts: 3
    I suppose this is an inevitable consequence of unconrolled watching of series and films by children. It causes they feel (or become) mature sooner than normal.
    I would want to address the bully and question why that child is picking on others. This is something where I think parents and teachers should step in.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,886 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Its all about rearing practices and family issues. I personally think in every school there should be a some time dedicated to life skills practices where students get practical knowledge on different life skills.
  • MonikMonik Posts: 978 ✭✭✭✭
    Bullying is a fact among students, parents must to be aware about their children, their behaviours, change of mood, they must to believe in them, otherwise they will be in dark hole without help.
    Bullying is a symptom rather than an issue and we should find out some underlying causes behind it. :)
  • shah51272shah51272 Posts: 276 ✭✭
    In Pakistan, students are punished by their teachers especially in government schools, that's why those children who live in backward areas leave the school at early age.I don't know punishment in schools should be given to students or not, but I never saw in my school life that a student started doing his work on punishment. It's natural that children trying to get take part in those activities in which they feel pleasure, not in those activities in which they feel frighten to get punishment. So teachers should improve their teaching skills, try to become more friendly and try to produce excitement in their lectures. But as far the matter of misbehaving students or bullying to other students they should get punishment from their teachers.
  • friendlytalkfriendlytalk Posts: 6
    My son is 6 years old. There was a time when he went home from their school so sad and sobbing. I asked him why and he said that he was left alone inside their classroom because he did not behave and that is why he went home a little late. My son asked me if I could be with him the next day in their school because he was so scared to be left alone again. I told my son that he should behave so it will not happen again but then I still went to their school the next day to talk with his teacher. I told his teacher not to leave him alone inside their classroom because it’s really affecting his behavior. My son fell that he was outcast and humiliated. I told his teacher to be with a pupil and if she needs to leave the classroom, she should let her pupil lived as well. Although the teacher said sorry and she admits her mistakes because she thought that my son followed the pupil’s line but then again teacher should check their pupils before living the classroom.
    Being in the country of a one child policy, I've heard that girls aren't too keen on 'mummy's boys', or spoilt guys who have had mum giving them too much attention. Similarly the guys aren't too happy with spoilt prima donas.
    @friendlytalk , that's terrible!
    I don't understand that a teacher could do such things to a six year old child!
    I've heard horrible stories of cruel punishment for minor offences in schools in Nepal. One Nepali friend even set up her own school where there is no violence as a result.
    @friendlytalk Feeling so sad. There are a number of other stories like this. I don't know how could a teacher even think to punish his or her student like this. It's beyond my understanding.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,327 mod
    I think that, as a general rule, children do get their own way a lot more now than they would have done in the past, but that is because life is so much more fast paced these days that parents simply find it easier to keep their children happy if they have all of the latest gadgets, clothes and things like that. So it isn't easy, but yes I do think that children get their own way more these day.
    Gemma, we can't treat this generation the way our parents treat us. Due to a fast pace life and paradigm shift in parenting styles, I feel it is a big challenge for the parents to rear up their children easily. Then, external pressures are huge where a child compares and demands a lot in order to stay active in his or her social circle. I feel now generation gap is gradually increasing day by day that is why we face many issues when it comes to dealing with this generation.
    I think parents have less time to spend with their children and try to compensate by giving in to them and spoiling them. Last night I was eating out with a couple of friends and our meak was almost ruined by four or five unruly young children who were running around the place like little demons. Their parents were having a party in the far corner and did nothing to try to control them.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,508 mod
    There'll be more and more spoiled brat kids if their parents will keep on tolerating their behaviors.
    Parents need lessons on how to be good parents @kindgnice.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,508 mod
    edited April 2016
    But the worst part is that, some of the parents themselves are not supportive with what their children wanted to become in their future. @mheredge