Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Professions of the future

goldiwgoldiw Posts: 139 Inactive
edited April 2015 in Work and Money
The rapid development of technology has canceled many professions. As a watchmaker, draftsman, graphic artist, photographer and more.
What do you think will be professions required in the next decade and the next?

----------------

The rapid development of technology has made many professions obsolete: Such as watchmaker, draftsman, graphic artist, photographer and more.

What professions do you think will be required in the next decade and the one after?
Post edited by Lynne on
Tagged:

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 25,751 mod
    Computers, computers, computers @goldiw. I think this will be an ever-growing area.

Sadly the old traditional crafts are dying though.
  • NoeTresNoeTres Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Well...It is true that computers and digital technology is in the future. But I do not think Computers is a profession @mheredge . It is true that the computer is an important tool nowadays and we have to adapt our careers to this technologies, for example: graphic artists and photographers must deal with digital programs that can improve their work and so on. :)
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,007 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge we need Psychologists, Intellectuals, and Philosophers more than technology. :)
    I certainly agree about the psychologists @bubbli. I think as people have more free time and work changes, there will be quite an adjustment for many people that might lead to depression and other problems.
    @mheredge why I am saying this, with the passage of time technology is prevailing all over the world due to which we are deviating from the basic humane qualities. Socialization is limited to internet and mobile phones. Again people don't have any channel to give a vent to their suppressed feelings or do catharsis. So we need people around who constantly push us as a society to take part in the active socialization. I also want to put artists in this list.
    I told a travel agency this morning that I don't think it's a good idea to have wifi available in a community homestay project where tourists only stay one night as everyone sits with their head in their phones and nobody was talking to each other, least of all to the local people who they'd come to stay with.
    @mheredge sad but it happens we usually don't get an opportunity to use internet during the field work and we find a good time with other team members. Sometimes we use external wireless device to report back via email but it doesn't have high speed to use for excessive browsing.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,044 mod
    I read somewhere that they already replaced human receptionists by nice lovely always friendly robotic receptionists. :(
    edited April 2015
    soon you will see robotic moderators for different websites. :) @april
  • goldiwgoldiw Posts: 139 Inactive
    @april and @bubbli, What do you do when you get to the hotel in the middle night and realize there was no towel or the toilet out of order? One to speak, with Robat?
    This is an unpleasant situation. I like that there was staffed, it is more pleasant.
    I know already since a long time that I am unnecessary here as moderator , @bubbli .
    Unfortunately, they don't ask my opinion, @goldiw :) .
    @goldiw quite aweful situation but I think it might be possible in future.
    @april, why? I will be happy to hear your opinion.
    Oh no, I mean people who started with the robotic receptionists didn't ask me if I would be pleased with this kind of service, @goldiw .
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,009 mod
    There is a saying on my calender for the new week. It goes like this:

The material progress doesn`t satisfy any satisfaction that a mankind really needs.
    Sir Winston Spencer Churchill.
  • libor_chlibor_ch Posts: 2
    In my opinion, IT positions will be worth doing in the future and also jobs where you can't change them for machines (bricklayers, labours...).
  • TinkaTinka Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭
    Of course, @bubbli. That's good for our professional future :) But not as good for our society. I strongly agree with your qoute, @Hermine. The material progress is diminishing our natural capabilities. Kids, who are spending a lot of their time with computers and all this e-staff, developing more slowly - as researchers are discovering...
    With the coming of 3D printers, a lot of building constructions are made that way, @libor_ch.
    Also the job of bricklayers will be replaced by those printers, I'm afraid.
    @Tinka why not good for the society? You must have heard about cannibalism. If we stop contributing things would get that worst. Just think about it. We can't survive with technology only.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,211 mod
    I think that as robots and computers free us from the drudgery of repetitive work we will have more time to pursue artistic and creative paths. We will begin to value the uneven finish that you only get with hand crafted items. Of course, first industry will have to wake up to the fact that robots don't buy anything, and figure out a way to keep us consuming when we have no jobs any more.

BTW @goldiw - http://www.forbes.com/sites/arieladams/2014/02/13/why-talented-master-watchmakers-dedicate-their-lives-to-the-art/
  • TinkaTinka Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭
    Technology by itself is good and useful. It can free us from the drudgery of repetitive work, as @Lynne already said. However, if we use technology as a substitute for our natural skills, that's not good. For example: scientist invented a device, which can detect our emotional states. I can use this device to detect, how I feel. But, if I use this regularly, I’m not developing my self-awareness skills. I’m not developing my interoceptive awareness (awareness of my body sensations), which could tell me, what’s going on with me…

After two or three years of using such a device I will be standing in front of my husband and he will ask me: “How do you feel, darling?” I will stare at him and respond: “Just a moment, I need to look on my device…” @Bubbly, what do you think about such a future?
    @Tinka thats exactly my point. Just read my comments above. I am certainly not convinced that this century needs only technology to survive. My point is we need skilled people who operate robots not skilled robots who operate people.
    I stick to my point that we need Intellectuals, Psychologists, Literary people, philosophers in future careers besides technical experts.
    edited April 2015
    @Tinka, It sounds funny. I do not think it would happen because emotions are complex and often don't make sense. The meaning of our experiences is sometimes so deep that we can't even explain it ourselves.
    @bubbli, I agree with you. But what do people without intellectual abilities or skills at a high level?
  • nelnel Posts: 1,125 Inactive
    We can see new things that are associated with technology every day @goldiw . Computers and cellphones are progressing and big companies are creating new products or apps or applications for their customers.
    @goldiw I have already answered to this question.
    Concluding note is we need technology to work for us not instead of us. Second, technology shouldn't ruin our humane quality, our natural emotions, expressions, and feelings.
    goldiw said:

@bubbli, I agree with you. But what do people without intellectual abilities or skills at a high level?

Indeed, their jobs are most in danger.