Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

How good are you at remembering names?

FrankFrank ModeratorPosts: 5,806 mod
edited June 2015 in People and Feelings
This is my first article on The English Magazine, thanks to @Lynne who edited the article for me.

http://www.english-magazine.org/english-reading/business-english/3667-remembering-names

Do you consider remembering names to be important? Are you good in remembering names? Do you think this article could help you to remember names better?
Post edited by Frank on

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,383 mod
    edited March 2015
    Thank you for writing the article @Frank.

@april posed a good question in the Google plus community. She was worried about how long she has to remember someone's name for. :smile:

As anyone who has attended sessions on the Network, I'm terrible at remembering names, often because people use different names for different platforms. :dizzy: One day maybe the Network will have a single log in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    I just now only saw and got to know about frank.how lucky we're to associate you :smile:

and our teacher as well. <3 @Lynne
  • nelnel Posts: 1,125 Inactive
    @Frank I can't read your article now but I read it soon. I have a question, I forget people's name and where I see them. Is it a disease Frank? I'm young yet. ;)
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,116 mod
    edited March 2015
    You really don't have to remember my name, guys. :)
    Please don't "disagree" me, @Lynne, or I'll cry a river. :(
  • MonikMonik Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭
    I really liked your article @Frank. I never thought before about remember names, but I always try to remember names because, as you say in the article, It's important to call people by his/her name. Therefore when I meet someone in a friendly way or in business matters, from the beginning I include her/his name into the conversation, for example: "I'm agree with Jhon.." or "As Paul Says..." This is a good way to remember. But most off all, I do it because to me is a priority to make people comfortable. I also make several activities with kids and to me it's important to know each other's names.
  • azollaiazollai Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Well, It's an interesting article. I've never thought about remembering names, although I know how importantit is to. Even if you want to get to know new people(as a friend), it can be awkward sometimes not to remember.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,427 mod
    That's a very useful article Frank. Though I'm fairly good at remembering people's faces, I'm really hopeless at remembering names. It's even worse when it's an unfamiliar sounding name. I particularly found Cambodian names hard to remember last year when I was there.
  • chyijungchyijung Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't access to the website, either. I'll try it later. I had an embarrassing experience for having forgotten someone's name, therefore when she called me at the time, although I recognized her voice but I had to skip her name. And finally she found something wrong in the conversation and interrogated me. From that time on, she never call me again. (sob)
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,050 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I have met so many people in my life that it is unjust to test my poor memory. But surely, there are people who need to be remembered and there are people who need to be forgot. :)

----------------------

I have met so many people in my life that it is unjust to test my poor memory, but surely, there are people who need to be remembered and there are people who deserve to be forgotten.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • vhicathvhicath Posts: 18 ✭✭
    I have a short-term memory when it comes to remembering names :(
    Oh @vhicath take it easy.
  • vhicathvhicath Posts: 18 ✭✭
    It's embarassing when it happens, just like chyijung experienced. :D
  • sanakrsanakr Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Hi everyone,

when it comes to native language you can remember as many names as possible whom you met in your life but if it is other language names there the problems comes into scene. This totally my perception.
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,806 mod
    edited March 2015
    Lynne said:

@april posed a good question in the Google plus community. She was worried about how long she has to remember someone's name for. :smile:

Some names you will only have to remember for the occasion. Other names you might have to remember the rest of your life after you've become acquainted to the people. Luckily you don't have to anticipate on that. If you learn a name, you don't have to question yourself for how long it will be you have to remind that name. For the process of learning names, there is no difference weather you have to remember the name for a long time or not. The mnemonics I mentioned in the article are useful to get the name inculcated in your mind in the first place. This doesn't mean you have to use the same mnemonics every time you encounter a person again. If you can recall the name Brad because he wore something red, it doesn't mean you immediately will forget his name when he changes clothes. After you've are acquainted to someone and have learnt his or her name, you will add other features of this person into the mental image you made of him/her. You will link his name to his/her face.
    nice explanation.
  • MonikMonik Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭
    you know @Frank I agree ;)
    > @april said:
    > You really don't have to remember my name, guys.
    > Please don't "disagree" me, Lynne, or I'll cry a river.

@april, you got a name that everyone knows across the globe.
    edited March 2015
    Do you think, you will think of me when you say or see that word: "april", @sanakr ?
    That will be an honour for me, then.
    Thank you, @sanakr :) .
    What's in a name? I don't really mind much when people forget my name or get it wrong - except when I get called Anne Marie (instead of Marianne). That's the only time it annoys me a little bit. I don't know why.
  • shah51272shah51272 Posts: 276 ✭✭
    @mheredge I also don't like when someone doesn't pronounce my name correctly.Some people have extraordinary memory. When I was studying in university I used to live in hostel and the hostel warden there had a great memory. He had not forgotten anyone's name even he met him only one time.Nearly four hundred students was leaving that time there and he had known all the people by their names.
  • shah51272shah51272 Posts: 276 ✭✭
    @mheredge also correct my mistakes
  • pryfllwydpryfllwyd The AnthropocenePosts: 1,405 mod
    Names can be a pain - if I've not heard it before I need to see it - then I have it (forever).

Similar thing for numbers - can't forget them - once memorised they're there forever. I can quote my credit card numbers, even the wi-fi key verbatim (but I'm not going to ...)

My issue is forgetting things like that.
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @pryfllwy you are amazing. :)

I use a peg method for Arabic words. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to remember them.

Ancient mnemonics: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/mental-imagery/ancient-imagery-mnemonics.html
    @shah51272 I also don't like it when someone doesn't pronounce my name correctly. Some people have an extraordinary memory. When I was studying in university, I used to live in a hostel and the hostel warden there had a great memory. He had not forgotten anyone's name even when he met them only one time. Nearly four hundred students were living therethat time there and he knew all the people by their names.

I wish I could do that @shah51272. But as my father used to tell me, I'd forget my head if it wasn't stuck on!
    > @april said:
    > Do you think, you will think of me when you say or see that word: "april", sanakr ?
    > That will be an honour for me, then.
    > Thank you, sanakr .

Yes I do, you welcome
    You'll remember me as a good person, I hope, @sanakr . :)
    Do you mean, you won't, @bubbli ?

edited March 2015
    @april nothing april. Just calm down. :)
    @sanakr Please remember me the way you remember @april :p
  • SaxaraSaxara Posts: 7
    I think, I can remember name of pupils. Sometimes I forget sombody name. When I meet with sombody once I can forget them names. But When I meet them several times I remember their name. For example my some friend cant remember name of pupils.