Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

How do you live?

FrankFrank ModeratorPosts: 5,953 mod
edited March 2015 in Home Life
Let’s talk about the residences and buildings we live in.

Where do you reside and in what kind of dwelling? Do you live in a flat, an apartment, a penthouse, a house, a villa, a mansion, a palace, a castle, a bungalow, or a cottage?

What does your cubbyhole look like? Does it have a sloping roof, or a flat roof? How many windows does it have? Does your estate have a garden or a balcony? How is your home decorated? Etcetera…

Try to use new words that are related to your home. Like: domicile, door, window, threshold, frame, dormer windows, double glazing, skylight, hall, bedroom, kitchen, dining room, dormitory, pitched / flat roof, bathroom, kitchen, hallway, hall closet, toilet, bricks, wood, stone, garage, fireside, shack, driveway, the list is endless...
Post edited by Lynne on

Comments

• EnglishLearnerEnglishLearner Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Fatima, you have a nice house.
    Fatima, Is there anyone who can correct me if I write wrong sentence?
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,055 mod
    edited March 2015
    @Fatimer this sounds like a lovely house.

@EnglishLearner what is your home like? Why don't you write a few sentences and if you make too many mistakes, someone can help.

Right now (until tomorrow that is), I'm staying in a lovely 10th floor apartment with fabulous views of the city. The flat has three large bedrooms (two with attached bathrooms, one separate bathroom and a huge living/dining/kitchen area. There are balconies on three sides.
    Wow!! mheredge..you must be a rich human being to stay or own this kind of apartments. Well, I live in USA. In USA, there are semi basement apartment where windows are above the ground or land. Not bad right? At least I have a place to live if you compare with homeless people. Anyways, it is a two bed rooms apartment with ONLY one bath room. Definitely we can see the sky if we want to through the windows. The big advantage is living in the semi basement apartment; I don't have to turn on my air conditioner during summer all the time. I do have portable air conditioner and I do turn on whenever it is required. you can picture it a bit where I live. Hey as I said, I am happy where I live. ha ha ha.
    Not at all @EnglishLearner. I just have very rich friends! I dread to think how much an apartment like this would cost. Too much for most people, as I think only about half of the apartments in the two blocks are even occupied. It's crazy here. Property developers build these super-luxury apartments but no one, except maybe UN workers and foreigners, can afford to live in them. My Nepali friend is quite wealthy and bought the flat as an investment. But he doesn't rent it out. Instead he lets foreigners who come to work for him on projects stay in it for a few weeks or months.

Where in the US do you live @EnglishLearner? I once stayed a week in New York in a friend's cosy apartment on Upper West Side (near Colombia University). It was really nice, though very 'snug.'
    hmmmm well..having a good friend in this world now a days is a dream. Nice to hear that you have a friend like that. @mheredge , I have no idea how many grammatical mistake I made in my last post. Please feel free to correct them.
    I live in Edison, New Jeresey which is not too far from the place you visited last time in New York. There are several ways to go to New York. If you take NJTP (New Jersey TurnPike) then I will take less time but costly. If you plan to visit New York in future please don't forget to let me know. Yesterday we got some snow here in NJ. I was sitting by the window in the library while it was snowing outside. Enjoying the view but thinking about the people who are working outside. In New Jersey we have full service policy in a gas station. You can't come out to fill up your gas tank. It is illegal to come out from the car to fill up the gas. So someone who works there has to fill it up for you. Just imagine, well....I have done it by myself once. It was not a easy job. Anyways, that is life I think. God made us like that I believe. some are poor and some are rich. some will work with computer and some are outside. some are doing physical labor and some are dealing with intellect.
    where am I going? getting emotional is a good think but we need to do something to make it better. ha ha ha . Nevermind...I think , I am lost.
    I heard about pensioners in Australia who are heading out to pick fruit and work on farms in their retirement, earning a little bit of money but working outside, doing work they never did before. Apparently they are very content and it's becoming quite a new trend.

People often want more than they really need @EnglishLearner. The trick is to know what you want and not to forget more isn't always best. That's my view any way.
    I agree with you @mheredge but we are human being. God put those kind of desires in us I believe. Correct me if I am wrong. So it is a human nature to look for more. But he/she is the best who can control them and be satisfied what we have. What I have learned from my elders is that always see people around who don't have what you have. Don't look at people who have but you don't have.
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,953 mod
    Beautifully said @Sun!
  • A.JA.J Posts: 2
    hi everyone
    i joined this page few momets ago
    i have been learning english for a very long time because i dont know its just my lack of confidence or i am not good in using helping verbs..
    Anyways
  • A.JA.J Posts: 2
    i am an Acca student which is an accounting certification from UK.. i am also a part time accountant
  • SunSun Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
    Thanks @Frank
    @Sun I agree. I was just talking about my desire. Sometimes it goes out of control. I only can talk about myself. My English is not that standard to express what I want to say. Sorry if anyone misunderstood or got offended.
  • shah51272shah51272 Posts: 276 ✭✭
    @Sun.I agree that money is not related to happiness but it's also true that life become miserable when you have no money.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    I totally agree with @sun. and I found this quote when i search "what is happiness" on the internet.I think this is a better explanation what is happiness in a simple manner.

(A man asked Lord Buddha"I want happiness".Lord Buddha said first remove "I" that's ego.Then remove "want" that's desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness")
  • chyijungchyijung Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭✭
    I live in my brother's house, my brother brought the house a couple years ago but at the end he didn't moved in, I was a freshman back then therefore he rented it to me with very low price, and he didn't charge me more than that since then. It is a 10th floor apartment with two bedrooms, a toilet, a kicthen, a little balcony, and combined dining and living room because the space is too small. It has a large window at the living room that allows a lots of sun light to come in, and the view is spectacular, i can see the whole city from here and the mountain which is far at the edge of the city.
    Although the apartment is considered small, I feel it is good enough for me, it is not easy to find a living space here in taiwan, it is too crowded and the housing pricing is just ridiculous compared with my poor wages.
    By the way, I experinced a magnitude 6 earthquake just now. the epicenter was far from my place but the shaking was terrifying enough especially when you're at 10th floor.
  • aditya65001aditya65001 Posts: 40 ✭✭
    So the chat is on "where do we live" ?
    hiiii,I am Aditya and i live in New Delhi
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,058 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I live in a double storey house that is divided into two portions. At lower portion, there are two bedrooms, a kitchen, a washroom, and a large drawing room. While in upper portion, there are three bedrooms, a store, TV lounge/dining, and a large terrace where I kept many seasonal plants. We have a large roof where we use to walk in the evening especially in summer. Though we live in a congested area but our house is at the start of main street so it is very airy.
    Last night and tonight I'm staying at a community homestay room which is built as a traditional style Tharu house. Local people cook and take care of guests who stay here. It's almost like staying with the family. All the profits go to the local community, in particular the women.
  • freyafreya Posts: 1
    hi I like to joined with you few minutes ago. I learning English Last 4 months. i learning English at institute. I live in my own house.my house three bed room,one kitchen,two bathroom,two hall,garage and beautiful garden .I stay with my family .I stay with my parents and I have two brother and one sister.my neighbours very quit people there are educated and very friendly family .my house very big and beautiful my house colours mostly outdoor light blue and light green . my house totally six doors and five window. I can not find mistake. sorry If I have any mistake this paragraph please help me.
    @EnglishLearner
    Everyone can have desires. It is not wrong. But it is better when our desires are connected with our family, our work, our friends, our hobbies and many other things that make us happy and when they are not connecting with material property and money. You can have a lot of money and still be unhappy.
    By the way and my English is not good, but I am practicing. That is the best way to learn to speak English.
    @shah51272
    The money are vital for living. But they should not be our preoccupation. They should be wherewithal for living, but not reason for our happiness.
    @Sun, you are right. We can improve our English being involved ourselves here. But I feel people who have more knowledge in English they should make correction if we make mistake. Anyways, money is not only source to make people happy. I am aware of that but I believe we need money in order to be happy. That's my opinion. As I said, it not ONLY elements to be happy.
    @manoj0001
    beautifully said. "I" - our ego, and "want" our desires, make a lot of problems in our lives. We do not know how great will be our happiness only without our ,,I,, .
    Just adding an example, a nice large house plus a stable car and decent job will make me to live comfortably.
    @EnglishLearner
    Maybe you will live comfortably, but it does not guarantee your happiness. :)
  • mouhamedwallaamouhamedwallaa Posts: 38 ✭✭
    is there a difference between flat and apartment it's the same i think
    I live in a house that is big enough for my family. Around the house there is a beautiful garden. In front of the garden I grow flowers and evergreen shrubs, and in the back of the garden I grow some herbs and spices, and my husband grow some vegetables. This is our hobby which makes us happy.
    I do not know if word ,,grow,,is used in all this situations? :)