Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Can You Name 11 Inventions That Changed the World?

mheredgemheredge WordsmithHere and therePosts: 24,052 mod
When we think of inventors, an image of a genius scientist holding test tubes come to our mind. This is not always the case. There were some inventors who accidentally designed something while working on an entirely different thing, and then there were those who searched far and wide, but to no avail. This quiz explores famous inventions that completely changed the world we live in today.

http://www.quizwow.com/can-you-name-11-inventions-that-changed-the-world/index2.html

Tagged:

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 24,052 mod
    I guessed most of the answers!
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,354 mod
    I got this result:

Prolific Mastermind

You absolutely obliterated this quiz. You're savvy with all these great inventions that changed our world! You have what it takes! You're good at planning and you hate to leave things incomplete. We are pretty sure that you stumbled upon this quiz while you were looking for creative inspiration for your clever projects. We spy an Edison in the making for sure or you're just in tune with innovative ideas and creations. Share this quiz with friends and see if they're as savvy as you are!
  • aditya65001aditya65001 Posts: 40 ✭✭
    Yes,I can name them

1.Wheel
    2.Fire
    3.Transister
    4.Abacus
    5.Mobiles
    6.Vehicles
    7.Spectacles
    8.Penicilin
    9.Agriculture
    10.Calculator
    11.OS
  • nelnel Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge it was a difficult quiz and I only could answer to 5 questions correctly.
    I think the most important invention is invention of writing. There are many inventors and scientists who could give their experiences by writing or even drawing inventions. I'm sure we know Leonardo da Vinci who was painting his thoughts.
  • TinkaTinka Posts: 782 ✭✭✭
    So do I, @Frank. But I guessed most of the answers... By the way, they have forgotten to mention "Learn English Forum" - this is also a good invention :-)
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a Brainstormer and I like this title. :)
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,622 mod
    edited May 2015
    @aditya65001 - What about the washing machine?

No surprises given the Interesting Facts blog, my score was ... Prolific Mastermind.

You absolutely obliterated this quiz. You're savvy with all these great inventions that changed our world! You have what it takes! You're good at planning and you hate to leave things incomplete. We are pretty sure that you stumbled upon this quiz while you were looking for creative inspiration for your clever projects. We spy an Edison in the making for sure or you're just in tune with innovative ideas and creations.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 9,765 mod
    I think I need to have more respect for all the inventors; I noticed that I don't know a lot about them while doing this quiz. (I'm a Brainstormer)
    Shame on you, @april !
    I hate the idea but the mobile phone seems to have taken over the world in a remarkably short period of time. I counted up the passengers sitting in the carriage of a metro train in Shanghai one time when I was bored and had no mobile phone to twiddle my thumbs on. And apart from me, there were probably only three or four of us who weren't holding or fiddling around with one. Now in the main shopping street in Nice, it's the same story. Does anyone look up and watch where they're going?

But who invented the wretched thing? Did he/she fully understand what it would lead to?
  • YinYin Posts: 191 ✭✭
    I got brainstormer. I only got one correct answer out of eleven questions.
  • rahil11rahil11 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    10/11 :)
    edited July 2015
    @Yin only one correct answer! I don't believe it. :open_mouth:
    @bubbli it is true even though i am a science student in secondary school. :#
    @Yin you should attempt it again. :)
    @bubbli i think one of the reasons that i am wrong is because i don't know the english name of the inventors. I may do better if a chinese name provided. B)
    @yin you speak Chinese?
    @bubbli, yes i speak cantonese and mandrain :)
  • MimTimMimTim lynnehand@googlemail.com Posts: 57
    Prolific Mastermind :) it was funny
  • christellechristelle Posts: 946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope someone will invent or discover soon an ecological source of energy !

@Lynne is this sentence correct ? I don't think so... Could you correct me please ?
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,622 mod
    @christelle - Well the message is clear, but you could say:-

I hope someone will soon invent or discover an ecologically sound energy source.

What do you think of solar energy, or biomass?

https://www.facebook.com/LearnEnglishNetwork/posts/844792158950646?pnref=story
    Thank you @Lynne

I find solar energy obviously ecological but not enough developped and used.

In Reunion many people choose to use solar water heater rather than electric one.

I don't know if solar energy is a good solution in Europe. Because it seems there is not a lot of sun there. In my island there is always sun, it's always hot even in winter !

For instance, we are currently in winter and the temperature is 27°C. Consequently, I believe using sun as an energy source would be useful and advantageous for us.
  • shah51272shah51272 Posts: 276 ✭✭
    @Lynne @christelle solar energy is environmental friendly, it produces no pollution, no emissions and no noise. But we could get this as long as the sun is there. The other major disadvantage of solar energy is that initial purchasing and installing cost is very high.
    It is a good investment however. @shah51272
    I think solar energy is a very good investment. It doesn't have to be very expensive for lighting at least.
  • shah51272shah51272 Posts: 276 ✭✭
    @mheredge @christelle solar energy is good only on a small scale such as for lighting, operating fans but it could not be used on large scale because the installation cost is so much high that's it's better to use other source of energy. But I hope a time will come when we will improve this technology and we would be able to use solar energy on large scale.
    Or maybe we will discover something else, already present in nature, but which we ignore the possibilities yet. (Does it sound english ?)
    @shah51272 @mheredge
  • RomanRoman Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Prolific Mastermind
    It doesn't say how many answers got right.
    I might reword it slightly @christelle: Or maybe we will discover something else, already present in nature, the possibilities of which we haven't noticed yet.

To ignore something suggests purposefully disregarding it. I think it's more that we are ignorant and haven't yet realised the full potential of nature.
    @mheredge thank you ! Yes, I agree with you, we must be ignorant, for sure !
  • GermanGerman Posts: 2
    One word: Computers