Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Where are you from?

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 9,656 mod
This discussion was created from comments split from: Word association.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,555 mod
    I read this article and thought it an interesting view on how this simple question can sometimes get complicated.

Where do you say you come from? And how important are regions or cities within your country? Do you answer the question with the place where you were born, grew up (if different) or where you just happen to live now? Or if you have more than one nationality, do you confuse people by giving them the country of your passport rather than any of the above?

http://www.denizenmag.com/2008/11/the-white-lies-tcks-tell/

• teosshteossh Posts: 15 ✭✭
    I'm Asian and I was asked the same question many times while I was enjoying my vacation in Europe and the United States. I was given 'the look' when I told them I was from Amsterdam. Don't you think it is ridiculous that people from Amsterdam should look like Dutch or European? Well, what I am trying to say is that people should know there are immigrants living all around the world.
    I sometimes ask "Where are you originally from?" (if the person obviously has an accent) or "Where did your family come from originally?"

I often get confused when asked the question and mumble that I grew up in the UK but now prefer to live in Asia.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,452 mod
    edited October 2014
    Apparently, it's easier for European or American to live in Asian countries than the opposite, is it?
    I don't know @april. I think it can be very hard for anyone to adjust to life in the west if they aren't used to the culture there.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0
    i live in an outstanding countary where I have lots of memories and i never want to leave it even if there is a war in it.
    Which country do you live in @zrelts1387‌? From your comment, does this mean there is a war there now?
    Welcome @Alla. There are a few fellow Ukrainians here at the Forum.
  • aryarchiaryarchi Posts: 864 ✭✭✭
    As I have told,Im Iranian
    Pure culture and History of Persians is what we are proud of!
    We have also different cities with different cultures here.
    Persian is our official language,also many people living here speaking Turkish.
    from north and south we are limited to Caspian sea and Persian gulf.
    Unfortunately we are not having a good relation with many countries and thats what bothering many people nowadys.
    have any of you heard any about Irans nuclear program at all?!!!!
    i am black African. I from purest Africa. if you know Africa with her regions. my country is guinea. (Conakry).
    Welcome @Elhadj. I'm not sure I know much at all about your country. What can you tell us about it?
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,927 mod
    I am originally from France, but now I say that I am from England. If anybody bothers to dig any deeper, I will tell them that I am from London, and if they ask for more than that I will tell them which part of London. Most people seem to be happy just saying London, though, but if I tell them that I was from France originally they seem to be interested in hearing where I was from, even though they might not know where it is, as it isn't a tourist hotspot.
    Do you have a French accent @GemmaRowlands? I usually ask 'where in London?' when someone replies they're from London, but that's only because I used to live in London.

People in Nepal when you you ask them where they are from nearly always say 'Nepal' and you have to dig to find out where in Nepal. But since most people don't seem to know where Nepal is, it's fairly understandable!

So where in London do you live @GemmaRowlands?
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I live in a part of Cracow where there was nothing but an oak forest some centuries ago. :)

Here you have carmen macaronicum:

Est prope wysokum celeberrima silva Krakovum,
    Quercubus insignis, multo miranda żołędzio,
    Istuleam spectans wodam Gdańskumąue gościńcum;
    Dąbie nomen habet, Dąbie dixere priores.

quercus - oak ;) - dąb

cf. The term ‘macaronic’ is used by literary critics to describe two forms of bilingualism found in Middle English poetry (and elsewhere in Europe too). In the stricter sense it describes the addition of Latin endings to vernacular words to create an effect like schoolboy dog Latin or the modern Franglais; in the looser sense it describes any mixing of words in different languages. ‘Macaronic’ seems to have been used first in the stricter sense in Italy in the late fifteenth century, and this usage was encouraged by the sixteenth-century Italian writer Teofilo Folengo in his long macaronic poem Baldus , where his explanation of the term is not complimentary: This poetic art is called ‘macaronic’ from macarones , which are a certain dough made up of flour, cheese, and butter, thick, coarse, and rustic. Thus, macaronic poems must have nothing but fat, coarseness, and gross words in them. ( Wenzel 1994 : 3) In the fifteenth-century morality play Mankind , for instance, the vice Nought deploys macaronics in this sense to mock the pious use of formal Latinate speech and biblical quotations: Mankind: Davide seyeth, ‘ Nec in hasta, nec in gladio, salvat Dominus '. (David says, ‘The Lord saves neither with the spear nor with the sword’) Nought: No, mary, I beschrew yow, it is in spadibus ! curse Therfor Cristys curse cum on yowr hedibus ! heads (Mankind 397–400; Bevington 1975 : 917)
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    I'm from Brazil. I live in Brazilia and hardly ever go travelling, unfortunately. Actually, I never went overseas. :/ If things go according to schedule, I'll be heading towards Europe next year, preferably to UK...
    edited February 2015
    You spell Kracow with a 'c' @Xanthippe. Is Kracow with a 'k' correct too? I visited this beautiful city once, many years ago.

Why do you want to visit the UK @Heber?
    @mheredge In Polish it's Kraków. I have seen Cracow in English texts.

It is beautiful but polluted. :(
    Is there any city that isn't polluted @Xanthippe?
    True, but my city lies in a valley and this is particularly bad. :(
    Kathmandu has the same problem @Xanthippe. Worse still, as well as everyone owning motorbikes (cars are too expensive for most people), there are brick factories all over the valley, as the soil here is very good for making bricks. But I think there is a massive problem right across the Gangetic plain and Delhi counts as one of the most pollluted cities in the world.
  • karimige2karimige2 Posts: 7
    I am from Algeria, if you know It is located at north of Africa, I live in Djelfa city, a very cold town. the last year I visited Northern Ireland, I stayed in Derry about a month.
    Welcome to the Forum @karimige2.

When you say Djelfa is a very cold town, do you mean just in winter? Surely it must be very hot in the summer?
  • karimige2karimige2 Posts: 7
    Exactly @mheredj, it's hot in the summer.
    Hello everyone:) I'm from Poland
    Welcome to the Forum @chica. Where in Poland do you come from? @Xanthippe is also from Poland.
    Yes, right, :) @mheredge.
  • Shehan NonisShehan Nonis Posts: 3
    Hi,I'm from Sri Lanka and currently living in Malaysia.It's really disappointing that some of the people in Malaysia never heard of it.I had to tell them that it's located right under the India.
    I live in Kraków like @Xanthippe :smile:
    @chica What a concidence :)
    Nice! Maybe @chica and @Xanthippe you can practice speaking English face to face!

@Shehan_Nonis I'm very surprised that you find people have never heard of Sri Lanka. I wonder if they know it by it's old fashioned name (Ceylon)?