Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
Please note: The MARS / WARS and FADS sessions are back on Skype for 2 weeks, but a couple of Lynne's sessions have been cancelled. Check the calendar for dates and times.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Your challenge - hang on / hang in / hang up / hang around / hang out

FrankFrank ModeratorPosts: 5,501 mod
edited March 2015 in Phrasal Verbs
Try using the above phrasal verbs.

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 9,830 mod
    Still don't have any inspiration, @Frank . :(
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,501 mod
    Hang on @april
  • chyijungchyijung Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm hanging around
    edited March 2015
    Sorry, I just can't resist: Hang on Sloopy!

• manoj0001manoj0001 Posts: 243 ✭✭
    @april and @Frank. Can you explain the usages and the meaning of those words briefly? :(
  • TeffaValenciaTeffaValencia Posts: 2
    Hello everyone. Im new on this website. I can't get how use that yet. Can someone explain me?
  • TeffaValenciaTeffaValencia Posts: 2
    @Lynne Im new here. I wanna be part of Skype group. How can I join on it?
    @TeffaValencia. You'll find all the answers on new members category. :)
    edited March 2015
    Here you can explore the meaning of these phrasal verbs @manoj0001 http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hang+around
    Look under verb phrases (nr. 41ff.)
    Thanks @Frank :)
    edited March 2015
    I'll try to give a simple explanation, @manoj0001 and @anybody :

Like a lot of phrasal verbs, they have sometimes more than one meaning, ... depends on the context.
    To hang in or to hang on for example both can mean to persevere.
    - For example you have to do 20 pushups and you almost give up after 15 and I could say: "Hang on, you almost there! Another 5!"
    or
    - using the idiom: "Hang in there! You can make it! 5 more pushups to do!"
    But you also can say: "Hang on a minute, I have to open a door." when you are on the phone talking to a friend and you ask him to wait for a minute.

To hang around
    can mean to stay in a place.
    For example: "Who is that guy there? He has been hanging around in front of our house for a couple of hours! Should I call the police?"

To hang out
    can mean to spend time with someone, for example in a sentence:
    "I'll meet John in thirty minutes. We are going to hang out at the new Starbuck café ."

To hang up can mean to stop a conversation on the phone, for example you call the help desk to complain about your new smartphone and the one on the other side answers that he can't help you and just finishes the conversation.
    You could say :
    "What a jerk! He just hung up on me!"

However, as I said before, you could use those phrasal verbs in another context.
    Am I a bit right with my explanation, @lynne?
    Post edited by april on
    great..@april .thanks for the better explanation. :) and again @frank thank you again as well.
    :)
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 5,896 mod
    edited March 2015
    I am hanging out with our cute cat. Please understand me right, I am not in a disco with our cat I am at home on the sofa with him, he is getting strokes from time to time and we are watching a movie.

I am not sure if `hang out`especially `out`gives a picture of being not at home.

I am gradually getting aware that English is a dangerious language. When I say stroke what do you think, am I not nice or be I nice to our cat. The word stroke can mean both so my dic.
  • BaderHasanBaderHasan Posts: 29 ✭✭
    1- I like to hang out with my friends.
    2- I hang up before he even says hello.
    3- I don't like to hang around too much at night.
    4- Hang in there till the help arrives.
    5- Hang on a minute... Hmm my inspiration stopped here. :(
    Wow, @april I thought you wrote you didn't have any inspiration!
    Manoj gave me the inspiration, @Frank :) .
    edited March 2015
    BTW, @Frank, do you know the song "Hang on Sloopy" or are you too young for it? :)
    Dat is meer van mijn tijd? :)

@Frank ?
    That's a good thing @april. Keep up this spirit @manoj0001!
  • azollaiazollai Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Hey guys, I'm just hanging around these posts and foind no one to have a conversation with:D
    (maybe it's because it's too late, isn't it?)
    edited March 2015
    I'll send you this in a PM @april. It's too difficult to me...
    I'm so sorry that I made you sad, @Frank :( .
    I know this song and I was the fan of The Cats too (the group from Volendam?), again something from my time :) .
    edited March 2015
    Hi @azollai, indeed it is late for me, but it doesn't keep me from saying "hi" to you. :)
    Welcome to the forum and nice to see you. :)
    edited March 2015
    Don't worry @april and thank you. Sometimes it's good to reflect on things. Of course I new the Cats too. My sister was a great fan of Cat Stevens. His most popular hit was: Morning has Broken.
    edited March 2015
    :)
    @Frank .of course i'll keep it up.this kind of topics are very useful.can you make a topic just for grammar things ? it would be a great help to the people like me.
    @frank.Is it possible for you to making a topic for learning thigst like this as i request earlier? then we'll be able to learn one thing for a day.not only learn but also teaching.like april did.
    Some grammar topics already exist in the forum @manoj0001. Did you see @hekner's post on 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 0 conditional for example?
    http://www.learn-english-forum.org/discussion/58/1st-2nd-3rd-and-0-conditional

Here you can find many more:
    http://www.learn-english-forum.org/categories/practise_English
    Many thanks @Frank.I'll check the links and try to learn them. :)
  • EnglishLearnerEnglishLearner Posts: 16 ✭✭
    I will try to write a true story using above phrasal verbs. I really liked them. Thanks guys.

One day I called a friend to overseas whom I knew her from a chat room. When someone picked up the phone on the other side I asked for her who is my friend. The person who answered the phone said hang on she was not next to her so she needed to be called which might cost couple of minutes. It took her almost 5 minutes to get on the phone. Anyways, during our conversation she got a call in her mobile phone which she needed to answer. So heard that phrasal verb “hang on” again from her.
    One day, I was staying late in school to play where one of my friends doing his math work. When we offered him to come and play with us; he refused. When we were coming back after playing he was still doing his math. When we asked him “How are you doing”; he replied “hanging in there”. I am not sure this is the perfect example of hang in or not. Anyways let me continue with my story.
    This is the second time I called a friend who lived in overseas. When I introduced myself to the person who answered the phone hung up the phone immediately. Next time when I talked my friend and told the story to her. She apologized for her cousin’s inappropriate behavior.
    My family were planning to go to New York. Guess what!!, While we were going to New York with my family I met a very close friend of mine. I almost screamed at loud. Then we requested my best to join us to visit NY. So she did and we hanged around together almost all day near wall trade center which is no more in NY. Then we went to an Indian restaurant which was located in Jackson heights to enjoy food. She is one my friends who also likes to hang out with friend. She never turned down anyone’s offer when it comes to visit any historical place.
    I hope you people enjoy above stories.
    @Lynne please make correction wherever you find any mistake including word order. It will be highly appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.