Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Jokes from Pope Francis

aprilapril ModeratorPosts: 10,452 mod
edited March 2015 in Humour
As you know, if I had a chance to ask anybody for dinner, I would ask The Pope Francis.
He is so sympathetic and has such a sense of humour.

Here are some of them:

As you know, if I had a chance to ask anybody for dinner, I would ask Pope Francis.

or

As you know, if I had a chance to ask anybody for dinner, I would ask The Pope, Francis.
Post edited by april on
Tagged:

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,555 mod
    If I had a chance to ask anyone for dinner, I'd ask the Dalai Lama. Like Pope Francis, he's very sympathetic and has a terrific sense of humour.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,452 mod
    That's very true, @mheredge :) .
    I think they could get along very well.
    Add President Obama in the group too. :)
    Have they met each other?
  • seanyluvzseanyluvz Posts: 36 ✭✭
    I admire Pope Francis as many Catholics do. Besides, I really like Ellens' show.
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 6,156 mod
    This pope offers openings in the communication among people. He does this with his jokes and his friendly behaviour. He listens to people instead of judging them beforehand. He reunites people with a different religious background. I admire that in him. The Dalai Lama, Pope Francis and President Obama should certainly meet.
    edited March 2015
    I want to add one more person, namely Archbishop Desmond Tutu. :)
    Four people from four continents :) .
    Post edited by april on
  • MonikMonik Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭
    @Frank I'm totally agree.. He's coming to change the catholic basis .. Overall he's trying to gather all the people no matter who you are. He sees this world as a fellow not as a Pope. I'm looking forward to see what else he will change, not only in this world but also our hearts. He's just an intercessor..
    Hmmm I'm not sure Obama is quite in the Pope Francis-Dalai Lama-Desmond Tutu league @april. The others are much more 'big picture' guys.
    Sure, @korczix . :)
  • vhicathvhicath Posts: 18 ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing this clip. It was funny. I'll try to find this at youtube so I can share it on Facebook. :)
    You are welcome, @vhicath :) .
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,744 mod
    @April, I am also a great fan of the Pope. As for me he is a real follower of God.
  • jugador09jugador09 Posts: 4
    I am a catholic, but although I weren't I think that this Pope is really amazing, he is a normal person, he says things that everybody understands, he knows the people's problems and he has respect for those who are not catholics... And he has a very good sense of humor.
    In one interview he said: "Many people thought that me, being from Argentina, would chose as name Jesus II instead of Francis".
    Are there a lot of people with the name Jesus in Argentina, @jugador09 ?
    @april there are many people named Jesús all over latin América.
    I really like the new Pope. He's not afraid to speak his mind.
    Of course, @monik2014 .
    It's like a lot of people with the name Mohammed, right?
    Silly, me. :)
    mmmm not silly at all @april .. I'm not sure but I guess there are more people named Mohammed...
    More Mohammed than Jesus, @monik2014 ?
    Well @april I'm not a 100% sure..
  • RomanRoman Posts: 493 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, if it is obvious for all, but the only joke in Ellen´s video, is the first one. In the rest of the video, the subtitles doesn't say what The Pope is speaking.
    What did he say then, @Roman ?
    My Italian is not good at all, maybe @filauzio can help here, but a fast translation could be:

- Because the daily love of the spouses is the true bread of the soul...
    - But going on...
    - It is hard, it is difficult to make the peace. Remember, don´t end the day without making the peace
    - It remembers me of Santa Marta, who in his 50º year (???) ...
    I thought that he was talking in Spanish :)
    No, It must be a mass in Rome.
  • filauziofilauzio Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I can translate right what the Pope is saying then, @Roman, that's:

' I usually asks the aged spouses in their fiftieth anniversary, who is between them, that usually bears mostly the other: it always happens that husband and wife look at each other, then turn looking at me and both answer:
    well.. either do, in our turn. '
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    That is the (???) part, isn't it? If not, I lost all the little Italian that I learned once
  • filauziofilauzio Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, that's the part you marked as (???). You've understood correctly.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    edited August 2015
    ACTUAL POPE FRANCIS JOKE ABOUT ARGENTINIANS

When the argentinians received news about an argentinian Pope, they forgot all about who were at their favor or against an Argentinian Pope.
    We, Argentinians, we are not humble and we are very arrogant...

Do you know how an Argentinian kills himself?
    He climbs into his ego and then he jumps
    Who is Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio?

A quote from Pope Francis' speech in the Festival of families recently in Philadelphia:

God likes to give his love to open hearts. Do you know what he loves most? To knock on the door of families, and find families who love each other, who bring up their children to grow, and help them move forward. To create and develop a society with truth, goodness and beauty.

We are celebrating the Feast of the Family. Families have a citizenship which is divine. The identity card that they have is given to them by God. So that within the heart of the family, truth, goodness and beauty can truly grow.

Some of you might say, “Father, you speak like that because you are single. Families have the difficulties. Families, we quarrel, and sometimes plates can fly. And children bring headaches. I won’t speak about mother-in-laws [laughs].

I love his last sentence :) .